1.    #1  
    A friend gave me her old Dell laptop, and it's in need of a screen replacement. I have another friend who would do it for me, if I can get the part. Seems there is the possibility of upgrading the one that came with it with another one of higher resolution, if the chip inside supports it. I went to a few online dealers who said, yes you can if it has the right graphics controller. They don't seem nearly as expensive as I expected, but of course I don't want to go shopping for a part if it won't fit. Is there a website somewhere where we can ask such silly questions?
    The fellow at the screen company didn't know enough about dell to tell me what part it needed, and of course Dell won't answer at all, even though they carry both parts in stock I hope this makes sense. Thanks in advance.
    I changed the lcd in my laptop (gateway) I bought in ebay , they give you warranty and or refund the money if doesn't work !
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    If you have the service tag number you should be able to lookup the specs of the system on the dell site.

If you can hook up a external display and make it work then you could find out what video chip is being used and then look up what its max resolution is.
  4. rpr
    Global Posts
    216 Global Posts
    Also, are you sure the display is broken? A lot of the time it's just the back-light, which is usually a cheaper repair. If you can see a faint ghosting of the display, then this is likely the problem. It's easiest to check by booting with an external monitor and then use the 'identify displays' test in the display properties. It projects a large '1' and '2' on the displays that are connected, and you can usually see the number on the LCD if it's just the back-light.
    Pilot 1000 -> Palm Pro -> Palm III -> Handspring Visor -> Palm V -> Palm TX -> Palm LifeDrive -> Kyocera 6035 -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Palm Pre
  5.    #5  
    OK here's what I have so far. The display is physically cracked and looks all psychedelic whe it's on. I connected an external monitor and set it as primary. The maximum it SAYS it will support is 2048x1920 (but it slides all around). The monitor itself only does 1280x1024.The option to enable the laptop as secondary came up (yay) and I enabled it even though I couldn't see it. The max it will support is 1024x768. Is there some chip in the screen that tells it what to do? The video is ATI x300. That's all I could gather.
    Quote Originally Posted by copasetic View Post
    OK here's what I have so far. The display is physically cracked and looks all psychedelic whe it's on. I connected an external monitor and set it as primary. The maximum it SAYS it will support is 2048x1920 (but it slides all around). The monitor itself only does 1280x1024.The option to enable the laptop as secondary came up (yay) and I enabled it even though I couldn't see it. The max it will support is 1024x768. Is there some chip in the screen that tells it what to do? The video is ATI x300. That's all I could gather.
    You may be seeing 1024x768 as it is detecting the display, and showing the display's max resolution. If you can provide the Dell Service Tag number, I can look up your system and should be able to give you a much better answer. If you are worried about posting it here, send it to me as a PM.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by noco37 View Post
    You may be seeing 1024x768 as it is detecting the display, and showing the display's max resolution. If you can provide the Dell Service Tag number, I can look up your system and should be able to give you a much better answer. If you are worried about posting it here, send it to me as a PM.
    Thanks everyone We decided to take a chance and order the higher resolution panel with the cable. IT's working fine! I was told that the cable has an identifier chip or such but it all worked and I write this to you on the new laptop! Thanks everyone!
    Quote Originally Posted by copasetic View Post
    Thanks everyone We decided to take a chance and order the higher resolution panel with the cable. IT's working fine! I was told that the cable has an identifier chip or such but it all worked and I write this to you on the new laptop! Thanks everyone!
    Glad to hear it's all working out.
    Global Posts
    2 Global Posts
    smile123 is corect...