Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    * Sigh *.....

I was browsing Treocentral's Ringtones Categories when I looked up the 'Oldies' Category. And expecting to see 70's and older tunes, I see artists like 80's B-52s, Bangles and Bruce Springsteen.

http://www.treocentral.com/content/R...ategory-10.htm

I'm only 34, but come on!

Guess it's only a matter of time till we see Britney Spears on there

Of course, this is just my .02

Seriously, TC (is it okay to call Treocentral that?), there is a 80s category for those above mentioned artists, shouldn't they go there?
  2. jke
    The 80's were like twenty years ago dude. It's ok to age. You know your getting old when you can remember when a PDA was around for more then three months before it's "new and improved version" Remember the 80's gave us the great line from Neil Young "It is better to burn out the fade away" Enjoy the ride
    I agree with robertruelan, it still just *sounds* wrong...
    "One of the most important things you learn from the internet is that there is no ‘them’ out there. It’s just an awful lot of ‘us’." -- Douglas Adams
  4. jke
    How many people from the Palm III era ever thought playing MP3 would be worthy of discussion? But, now it looks like that is going to be a standard feature.Time marches on, I do think you have more of a chance to hear a Whitney Houstan song in 10 years then a Britney Spears song on the radio
    Originally posted by jke
    I do think you have more of a chance to hear a Whitney Houstan song in 10 years then a Britney Spears song on the radio
    Not quite sure if this is comforting or frightening (I'm not really a fan of either, if you hadn't guessed. Though, IMO, Whitney has the better voice, if I had to choose).

And I believe the Neil Young quote was from the late 70's (from Rust Never Sleeps, if memory serves). The only album of his I remember from the 80's was Transformer, and that quote certainly wasn't on it.
    It's gotta be weather balloons. It's always weather balloons. Big, fiery, exploding weather balloons.
    -- ComaVN (from Slashdot)
  6. jke
    But, then again who thought the Rolling Stones would still be touring in the year 2002? Ok forget the Neil Young and let us go with the movie of the 80's "Wall Street" who brought to popular lingo "Greed is Good".....................................
    I was sitting at a stop light a couple weeks ago and it became obvious to me that the young driver behind me was thumping her palms on the steering wheel to the same song on the radio that I was, Pink Cadalac by Springsteen. Then it occurred to me that I still consider Born in the USA to be Springsteen's "new album" and it was written before this girl was even born. Yikes.

Another way to look at it...today's graduating class has the same historical relationship with Michael Jackson's "Beat it" as I did with Buddy Holly's "Peggy Sue" (my dad's music).
    This thread is starting to make me feel REALLY old... It doesn't seem like I have been out of high school for 17 years now.. where has the time gone..?? Yikes, even reading what I just wrote also horrifies me!
    "One of the most important things you learn from the internet is that there is no ‘them’ out there. It’s just an awful lot of ‘us’." -- Douglas Adams
    Originally posted by EricG
    This thread is starting to make me feel REALLY old... It doesn't seem like I have been out of high school for 17 years now.. where has the time gone..?? Yikes, even reading what I just wrote also horrifies me!
    Way to make ME feel better dude- my school had their 25th reunion last summer.

OK it's time for taking off the gloves. Who remembers...

- Laser disks
    - when AM was king and FM was mostly 'garage' outfits, mostly at night (when the small signals went further)
    - "Stereo AM" radio (you needed two radios turned to slightly different settings)
    - Commodore 64 computers, or better yet, the Coleco Adam
    - Panasonic's 'cool' radios- the ball, bracelet, etc.
    - When Radio Shack had really ugly cases for the stuff under their labels (hold it- they still do!)
    - Being able to buy Timex Sinclair computers and accessories at drug store chains
    - FORTRAN
    - Being really excited watching the Gemini space program in black and white
    - TV's before 'instant on', or for that matter, with tubes
    - Phones with both dials and phone numbers like CApital 1-1234
    - When Halloween was 'safe'?
    - No other options but 'push' lawn mowers
    - Buicks with the absolutely useless air ports along the front fender
    - Cars without seat belts
    - Drive-in theaters and A&W Root Beer drive-in's
    Do what you can, with what you have, where you are at!
    Madkins,

I still own a ton of Laserdisks.

AM, for me, was always just the place to listen to sports and news. Not music.

Atari 800 w. 48k or ram buddy. Coleco adam: the typwriter Computer. Anybody remember Compute! the magazine.

I remember fortran. Never used it but remember it. Remeber Turle?

I remeber TVs that you had to touch. With remotes, you don't ever have to touch the TV. Even if you lose the remote, you spend an hour looking for it before touching the TV

Holloween was safe? Not in my neighborhood. True it was only eggs you had to worry about not razors in apples.

I saw the omen in a drive in (we hid in the car to pay less). I was pretty young.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    I'm really not that old, but...
    Originally posted by Madkins007
    [...] OK it's time for taking off the gloves. Who remembers...

- Laser disks [...]
    I do, but then again, my wife still uses one at school.
    I remember both, but only had the C64.
    heh...when I first started reading that, I expected to see 'before remote controls', which would be before TV. TVs _always_ had remote controls. Most people call them 'children', though, now.
    I remember both, but my viewpoint is probably skewed from most people in my age group.
    - When Halloween was 'safe'?
    I remember Halloween being an after-dark thing, so I guess that counts.
    - No other options but 'push' lawn mowers [...]
    Are we talking the ones without even a motor?
    I saw Star Wars at the drive-in.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...

Way to make ME feel better dude- my school had their 25th reunion last summer.

- Laser disks
    Yep. Still own them, though the player doesn't work so well anymore. Also lived through the Beta vs. VHS debates and was the first one in the house to buy a VHS player (bought it for the family for Christmas).

Still haven't bought a DVD player either, though my last trip to the video store convinced me I'm going to need one eventually.

I wanted a Coleco Adam, but couldn't afford it at the time and the folks didn't see the value in a computer. If they only knew back then what I'd be doing now......

- Being able to buy Timex Sinclair computers and accessories at drug store chains
    Still kicking myself for not buying one of these.

- FORTRAN
    It was still being taught in the local colleges a couple of years ago.

We had a Zenith tube TV until I was about half way through high school, and the only reason my father got rid of it was because the supply of cheap tubes dried up.

Don't remember the funky phone numbers, but I do remember my mother being excited about the new gold-tone slimline the phone company installed. I never knew about tone dialing or modular plugs (not those big 4 prong numbers, either) until college.

I know they existed, but never rode in one. Not that the seatbelts ever got used until they were required by law here in NY.
    It's gotta be weather balloons. It's always weather balloons. Big, fiery, exploding weather balloons.
    -- ComaVN (from Slashdot)
    - Buicks with the absolutely useless air ports along the front fender
    The first car I bought was a '52 Buick Special, and that was is 1988! Great car. You could easily fit 8 people inside, 10 you squeezed, and two kegs on ice in the trunk.
    Err.. yeah, the Buick above.
    I remember going to the drive-in theater a couple of times in Lincoln as a kid. But I am pretty sure that any time we where in the "big city" we usually ate at A&W, but I think it was only because the folks didn't want to drag us hellions into a restaurant.

- Laser disks
    How odd... I'm surprised how many people on this board own or use these. Count me in as well.

In fact, I went massively overboard on laserdisks in the early and mid-90s. I think I have around 450 of the buggers. Learned an important lesson when DVDs came out: rent rather than buy.

Not that I mind watching movies on LD rather than DVD -- the picture is pretty close, and most of my LDs have digital sound. Good enough. And I can dupe movies from LD to a VCR with no problems.

But... I could have spent all that money on something useful. Like cooking lessons.
    Jeff Meyer

"And he died like he lived: with his mouth wide open."
    My God - you people make me feel old.
    my school had their 25th reunion last summer
    I graduated from high school 34 years ago.
    Ok then:
    Laser disks - way AFTER my day
    When I was growing up I didn't even know anyone who had an FM radio. Our radio at home was about 4 feet tall, 3 feet wide, and had AM and shortwave. Our record player (not stereo played only 78's and 33 1/3's - all breakable by the way.
    I remember the original Heath Kit computers
    I learned Fortran in the Scouts along with Cobol
    How about the Mercury space program in B/W and they would stop school for an assembly when there was a launch so we all could watch it.
    The first TV my parents bought had only a 9" screen. I remember when our next door neighbors bought the first color TV in our neighborhood. At the time there was only ONE program in color and that was The Wonderful World of Disney and it was preceeded by announcements on TV that it was in color.
    I still recall my phone number from growing up - WH-8-2256. But who else remembers when you only had to dial the last four numbers if you were calling someone in the same exchange? I do
    Cars without seat belts
    My parents had to pay $50 extra to get seat belts in their car in '63 and I am happy that they did as we were in an accident in which I would have been killed if not for the belts.
    Drive-in theaters
    - Oh boy could I tell some stories about drive-ins...................
    Jonathan
    Originally posted by bookrats

How odd... I'm surprised how many people on this board own or use these. Count me in as well.

In fact, I went massively overboard on laserdisks in the early and mid-90s. I think I have around 450 of the buggers. Learned an important lesson when DVDs came out: rent rather than buy.
    I may have more than that. Lost count. I didn't learn my lesson I still buy dvds.

Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Ok - Time to make everyone on the board hate me---

Well, I have been out of High School for what, um...five days!

- Laser disks
    These were used big at my high school, especially in the science department. They used the barcode to do sample problems, etc. a lot...too big for me, though!

- when AM was king and FM was mostly 'garage' outfits, mostly at night (when the small signals went further)
    Well, AM still is King of 'good' radio (Rush Limbaugh, Michael Savage, sports, etc.) (I know I'm getting flamed for this one...) and FM went from 'garage outfits' to 'garage' stations that play the exact same music from the same company...

I had a Commodore 64 when I was in elementary school, and I thought it was the best. It was my grandfathers (passed away in '88) and he was what we are today, back then. He had all the latest computers (Commodore 64), loved Ham Radio and all that technology (I still use his HF rig, the Yaesu 767gx), and even had a Casio calculator watch that drove his wife crazy when he would be pecking at it with a pencil... If he knew what we had today (arguing over whether it's better for a color organizer to have a virtual writing area or digital music...), and the computers/laptops we have today, he would go crazy!

Oh yeah...they do that on the Leave it to Beaver re-runs on TV Land...

I remember the original Heath Kit computers
    Ah yes, the big green company. I thought they only made radios, though...

Now, this is my list of 'remember when' -
    - When floppy disks were actually 'floppy'
    - When computers had green screens
    - When people actually used 14.4 and 28.8 modems and thought they were the best thing in the world
    - Before Al Gore invented the Internet.
    Blue Visor Deluxe ~ Clie T615 ~ Zire 71 ~ Treo 650 ~ Palm Centro
    When people actually used 14.4 and 28.8 modems
    I still have somewhere at home my original Hayes 300 modem that I used to connect with the original Compuserve way back when. Slightly different speed now with broadband.
    Jonathan
    Originally posted by terrysalmi
    Now, this is my list of 'remember when' -
    - When floppy disks were actually 'floppy'
    - When computers had green screens
    - When people actually used 14.4 and 28.8 modems and thought they were the best thing in the world
    Yeah, I got one sitting right next to me, although these days it is running Slackware Linux. Someone gave it to me because they didn't know what to do with it. It booted to DOS, although Windows 3.1 is installed. They just didn't know how to do anything at the command line.

My mom still has two of my first computers, a TRS-80 and an old XT. Both run last I checked, may be I should dig them out and dust them off... Oh the old days before you needed CPU coolers...
    Or...

- Winchester hard drives
    - 8" floppy disks
    - Cassette recorder tape drives (C64, VIC 20, TS-1000, etc.)
    - When SSDD was cool because it meant 'single side, double density' so you could fit TWICE as much as the original SSSD Single Side Single Density disks! (And now, people thinks it means "same s***, different day")
    - Spending time formatting floppies because it was cheaper to by them unformatted than to pay for IBM format
    - Accoustic coupler modems, like on the Matrix, where you set the handset into a special cradle
    - When 'video game' meant "Pong", or, if you could afford it, 'Break Out'
    - The 70's (disco, leisure suits, 8-track... oh my God, the flashbacks! 8-track, 8-track 8-TRACK!!!!)
    - Life BEFORE Walkmans
    - Manuals before the DUMMYS series- when you actually HAD to RTFM.
    Do what you can, with what you have, where you are at!
Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast