Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Originally posted by Toby
    Do you happen to have a title/author? Was that the only source which presented it that way? The reason I ask is that my wife teaches and has written curriculum for high school science. I can tell you that the requirements of each class are progressively harder
    Sorry- my wife is not in town this week to ask, but I will! I DID notice that I dropped a line out of my post as I was editing it (don't you hate it when that happens?) to the effect of how no two history books ever seem to agree on anything!

As to the requirments getting progressively harder- is this the cause or the effect? Biology has been taught first for so long (IF the 'alphabetical order' bit has merit) that the standards may simply have been writen to be easier. Actually, biology is a very complicated science- IF you covered the complicated areas, which schools around here do not.

All the sciences are pretty large fields- and we do not and cannot cover them all in the time alloted in school. Since there is already some picking and choosing going on, perhaps the selections have been weighted so things build on one another- which would be a perfectly logical way to do it, and could probably be done about as well no matter what the order of the sciences offered was.

You guys have been all-day kindergarten since 1976 or so? I knew many had gone back to that and that Nebraska was sort of lagging behind on this (as well as many other issues), but I had not realized it was that long ago in some places (but, of course, I have not followed this issue as closely as my wife has, and I can't ask her about it right now. Sigh. [this has been a LONG conference!])
    Do what you can, with what you have, where you are at!
    Originally posted by Madkins007
    Sorry- my wife is not in town this week to ask, but I will! I DID notice that I dropped a line out of my post as I was editing it (don't you hate it when that happens?) to the effect of how no two history books ever seem to agree on anything!
    On analysis, I find that understandable, however, when they disagree on the basic facts, I hold them both in question.
    As to the requirments getting progressively harder- is this the cause or the effect? Biology has been taught first for so long (IF the 'alphabetical order' bit has merit) that the standards may simply have been writen to be easier. Actually, biology is a very complicated science- IF you covered the complicated areas, which schools around here do not.
    Sure, they could cover more complicated things, but at what point in a biology curriculum is the math going to get harder than chemistry or physics? Biology at a layman's level is going to require very little (if any) math. It's more geared towards understand systems of classification. Chemistry, even at it's most basic levels, is going to require an understanding of algebra. Physics will require a bit higher understanding of math.
    All the sciences are pretty large fields- and we do not and cannot cover them all in the time alloted in school. Since there is already some picking and choosing going on, perhaps the selections have been weighted so things build on one another- which would be a perfectly logical way to do it, and could probably be done about as well no matter what the order of the sciences offered was.
    Except that one can't cover even a basic level of chemistry without algebra. One also can't cover a basic level of physics without understanding more advanced maths.
    You guys have been all-day kindergarten since 1976 or so? [...]
    I went through kindergarten in 1975, and they put it back in in either 1976 or 1977 (my wife attended all-day kindergarten).
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    I went through kindergarten in 1975 <snip>
    And I was in high school in 1975... Sheesh!
    "When I am Empress...Heads will roll!"
    Queen of Parts
    Originally posted by fixitgal
    Sheesh back at you. I was also in college at the same time.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Sheesh back at you. I was also in college at the same time.
    The difference between high school and college is really small, so at worst you're only a few years older than me.

But kindergarten and high school? C'mon, he was using a bike with training wheels and we were driving cars!
    Queen of Parts
    "I went through kindergarten in 1975, and they put it back in in either 1976 or 1977 (my wife attended all-day kindergarten).I went through kindergarten in 1975, and they put it back in in either 1976 or 1977 (my wife attended all-day kindergarten)."

You are so young! Just a little furry puppy! And so wise already! Too bad you missed out on driving a brand new AMC Gremlin (or a Pacer!). Does anyone else remember the Levis' branded Gremlin? (real levis' denim upholstry!)
    "I am a debtor both to Greeks and to Barbarians, both to the wise and to the foolish."
    The difference between high school and college is really small, so at worst you're only a few years older than me.

But kindergarten and high school? C'mon, he was using a bike with training wheels and we were driving cars!
    I think you missed that 'he' and 'I' are the same. I was in a kindergarten class conducted on a college campus. I was functionally a lab rat (and one of the star ones). The stories I could tell.
    Originally posted by BobbyMike
    You are so young! Just a little furry puppy! And so wise already!
    Being in college at 5'll do that to ya.
    Too bad you missed out on driving a brand new AMC Gremlin (or a Pacer!). Does anyone else remember the Levis' branded Gremlin? (real levis' denim upholstry!)
    I backed my mom's Vega out of the garage a few times. Does that count?
    I think you missed that 'he' and 'I' are the same. I was in a kindergarten class conducted on a college campus. I was functionally a lab rat (and one of the star ones). The stories I could tell.
    Yep, I missed it. Not enough coffee... Give me a break, I'm old and confused...
    Queen of Parts
    Yep, I missed it. Not enough coffee... Give me a break, I'm old and confused...
    Here's your break. Would you like fries with that? Thank you; drive through...
    Here's your break. Would you like fries with that? Thank you; drive through...
    Geez, and I thought old people were grumpy...
    Queen of Parts
    Geez, and I thought old people were grumpy...
    They must be because any grumpiness in my previous post was clearly inferred by the reader.
    Originally posted by BobbyMike
    Too bad you missed out on driving a brand new AMC Gremlin (or a Pacer!).
    The Pacer... now there was an attention-getter. It had two major advantages: [list=1][*]the thing would never tip over due to high winds[*]And (seriously) it had the best range of vision for the driver I've ever seen -- like driving in a fishbowl.[/list=1]
    Lot of work cleaning the windows, though.
    Jeff Meyer

"And he died like he lived: with his mouth wide open."
    They must be because any grumpiness in my previous post was clearly inferred by the reader.
    Huh? I can't h... S'cuse me a second........

Drat! Had my hearing aid turned off, couldn't hear a darn thing. Sorry, my misunderstanding.

(Shuffles off mumbling, "darn kids..." and goes out to water the roses and yell at the neighborhood kids...)

Queen of Parts
    Sheesh to you too. In 1975 I had already graduated from college with the first of my Bachelor's degrees and had been divorced for a couple of years.

You're all children!!!
    Jonathan
    Your first PC had a whopping 10 meg hard drive you had used one with only a floppy drive!
    HEY! My first PC was like that! And I'm not old... I think. ROTFL!!!

No seriously...

Quote Originally Posted by Big_OTR_Fan
    Your first PC had a whopping 10 meg hard drive you had used one with only a floppy drive!

Sprint PCS user since 1999

-=-=-
    Palm IIIC -> Palm M100 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700P -> Treo 755P
    Do I count as a Palm addict if I still have my original Palm IIIC?
    -=-=-
    Praise is what I do...
    Quote Originally Posted by techprincesse
    HEY! My first PC was like that! And I'm not old... I think. ROTFL!!!

No seriously...
    Hey princesse:

A picture's worth a thousand words... you are not old (not that there's anything wrong with that...)

By the way, did you also use Wordstar?
    Quote Originally Posted by Big_OTR_Fan
    Huh? What made you dig out that thread after it had rested in peace for close to three years?
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” (Philip K. ****)
    Quote Originally Posted by clulup
    Huh? What made you dig out that thread after it had rested in peace for close to three years?
    Good catch clulup.

"Humour is timeless... age isn't"

"Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana."
    (Groucho Marx) with thanks to clulup

I was searching for some info in archived posts for another user and crossed paths with this ancient thread before my time and thought it was great.
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast