Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Captain Crunch should be a controlled substance.

Caution: The Surgeon General has determined that Captain Crunch causes significant mood swings. In mammals.
    Jeff Meyer

"And he died like he lived: with his mouth wide open."
    What kind of Cap'n Crunch? regular, Crunch Berry, Peanut Butter?

When I was going through a "sugary cereal" phase a few years back -- after years of whole grains and other not-as-bad-for-me cereals -- I'd go thru a box, sometimes two, of PB Crunch in a week. Among other things.

I usually have cereal four times a week. Haven't touched any in a month.
    The light at the end of your tunnel has been disconnected due to non-payment. Please remit funds immediately for restoration of hope.
    Originally posted by bookrats
    Hey, I've noticed that Monty Python (at least in my nieces) leads to literacy. It appears Holy Grail lead them to read The Once and Future King.

Same can be said for Looney Toons, actually...
    One of our favorite audio tapes is "Cartoon Classics"- full of the classical music they use on Looney Tunes (like old sci-fi, they often used itbecause they did not have to pay a copyright fee).

Looney Tunes is also useful for history (WWII information- blackouts, rationing, etc.), classic movies (LOTS of take offs of Casablanca, Beau Gusta (spelling?), etc.), and so on.

Over all, Loney tunes is a LOT more educational and useful than 99.9% of the new cartoons that are SUPPOSED to be 'good' for kids!

Long live Looney Tunes!
    Do what you can, with what you have, where you are at!
    Captain Crunch was restricted in our house mostly because of the cost. Corn flakes were a lot cheaper, although I suspect that by the time we got done adding sugar, the cost averaged out.

Ah, the great sugar wars! "Just ONE spoonful of sugar!" Yuck- one spoonful of sugar on cheap cornflakes was NOTHING! The games then begin- heaping, teetering piles of sugar carefully balanced in the spoon, using bigger and bigger spoons ("Put that serving spoon BACK right now, young man!"), trying to sneak extra spoonfuls.

We even had sugar cubes- and that was my favorite! They were for my parent's coffee and were usually off-limits to us, but when we could, we would add them like ice cubes and happily crunch on them as we ate our cereal.

On this subject- what were the great long-gone cereals you remember?

Quisp and Quake- the alien and the big construction worker?

Count Chocula, Frankenberry, and Booberry- the 'monster trio'?
    To tie the cartoon and cereal discussions together:

Most of the commercials for the cartoons Madkins007 mentions (Captain Crunch, Quisp and Quake, and some others) were produced by Jay Ward, who was the creator and producer of the wonderful Rocky and Bullwinkle cartoons.

-----

"I'll rob that rich person and give it to some poor deserving slob. That will prove I'm Robin Hood."
    Jeff Meyer

Originally posted by Madkins007
    One of our favorite audio tapes is "Cartoon Classics"- full of the classical music they use on Looney Tunes (like old sci-fi, they often used itbecause they did not have to pay a copyright fee).
    Are those the Carl Stalling ones?
    Looney Tunes is also useful for history (WWII information- blackouts, rationing, etc.), classic movies (LOTS of take offs of Casablanca, Beau Gusta (spelling?), etc.), and so on.
    Beau Geste, IIRC.
    Over all, Loney tunes is a LOT more educational and useful than 99.9% of the new cartoons that are SUPPOSED to be 'good' for kids!
    My daughter is forbidden from watching Nickelodeon. Their cartoons have no redeeming value that I can see for children. She watches the PBS stuff (I wish they'd bring back the old Electric Company episodes or that Noggin would play them other than at 2AM) and a couple of Disney things, but that's about it.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    [...] On this subject- what were the great long-gone cereals you remember?

Quisp and Quake- the alien and the big construction worker?

Count Chocula, Frankenberry, and Booberry- the 'monster trio'?
    I'm not sure about Quake, but I'm 99% sure I still see Quisp and I'm 100% sure I still see the monster trio in stores.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Originally posted by Toby
    I'm not sure about Quake, but I'm 99% sure I still see Quisp and I'm 100% sure I still see the monster trio in stores.
    Google reveals: You can buy Quisp on the Internet.

I haven't watched the little video, but it looks to me like Spumco got involved somehow.
    Jeff Meyer

Originally posted by Toby
    I got a box of Quisp as a "joke" wedding present two years ago.. Loved every spoon full.. (however secretly it wasn't a joke to me, I LOVED THE STUFF AS A KID!)

I am pretty sure Quake is no more.. The monster cereal's are around (also childhood favorites), My wife bought some this past Halloween in a 3 pack special..

Quisp has also been hiding in those generic Quaker "value" plastic bag cereals on the bottom shelf of most supermarkets. I think it was renamed crispy crunch or something, I think I recall it also had a cartoon sunglass wearing shark on the bag..
    "One of the most important things you learn from the internet is that there is no ‘them’ out there. It’s just an awful lot of ‘us’." -- Douglas Adams
    Originally posted by EricG
    I am pretty sure Quake is no more..
    Quake is definitely an ex-cereal.

I think there was an ad promotion asking kids to vote for Quisp or Quake in the 70s, and Quake lost big-time. (Sort of the Michael Dukakis of cereal characters.) Soon after that, Quake was discontinued.
    Jeff Meyer

Who voted in the great Trix election that the rabbit should get to eat Trix!!

I did! The kids on the Trix commercials were almost as irritating as the Road Runner.
    I can remember watching a Saturday show called "Winky-Dink".

Parents could buy a kit that contained special crayons and a screen protector(most likely was patented, which would make previous discussions moot ).

Used to draw bridges, etc, so that the cartoon character could cross rivers, chasms, etc.

Of course, many TV screens got messed up using unauthorized crayons and no protection.
    I also remember Winky-Dink and the trouble I got into the one and only time I didn't use the screen protector and used my regular Crayola crayons. I couldn't sit down for a few days.
    Jonathan
    'Monster trio cereal'- I found out that it was just the stores that I shop at that had stopped carrying them. I probably should do more of the household shopping! ;-)

Ah, the old educational shows- Toby's mention of the Electric Company reminded me of Zoom, 3-2-1 Contact, Mr. Rogers... My youngest is now 12, so I have not watched or heard of these for some time, so they may still be on, but some of the episodes were so fun to watch with your children! (I KNOW Mr. Rogers recently retired after his incredible run. I really love that guy- he is a pretty incredible person!)

I have a 'golden oldies' TV theme songs CD- and whenever it plays the Captain Kangaroo theme, I get an instant flashback- Tom Terrific, Mr. Moose, Mr. Greenjeans, Bunny Rabbit, the Ping Pong balls, story time, ahhhhh.......

The Old Curiosity Shop with that girl who was also on that other show (real helpful, huh?)...

Hal Lindsay (?) and his old children information show (Make a Wish? I seem to recall him saying 'Make a wish, dream a dream...")

The REAL Mr. Wizard- who makes Bill Nye look like a fool (OK, maybe that isn't hard!) I got in so much trouble for trying to re-do some of his 'stunts'!

Now I see that they are using "Davey and Goliath" in new commercials! That seems blasphemous to me- but on the other hand, I gotta admit it is kind of a kick to see them again!
    [...] Ah, the old educational shows- Toby's mention of the Electric Company reminded me of Zoom, 3-2-1 Contact, Mr. Rogers... My youngest is now 12, so I have not watched or heard of these for some time, so they may still be on, but some of the episodes were so fun to watch with your children! (I KNOW Mr. Rogers recently retired after his incredible run. I really love that guy- he is a pretty incredible person!)
    Zoom still plays, but it's a new cast and look. I don't think anywhere plays the classic Zoom. Noggin still plays 3-2-1 Contact, I believe. Mr. Rogers is still playing on PBS in reruns, I think.
    Hal Lindsay (?) and his old children information show (Make a Wish? I seem to recall him saying 'Make a wish, dream a dream...")
    You sure you don't mean Hal Linden (Barney Miller), and not Hal Lindsey (that guy who writes those doomsday books like Late Great Planet Earth)? I have to think the latter would make a scary kids' TV host. "You better watch out. You better not cry. You better not pout. I'm tellin' you why. Cause Armageddon's coming to town."
    The REAL Mr. Wizard- who makes Bill Nye look like a fool (OK, maybe that isn't hard!) I got in so much trouble for trying to re-do some of his 'stunts'! [...]
    heh...well, I think Bill Nye chooses to look like a fool, but yeah, I wish somebody would sell Mr. Wizard (the Nickelodeon era's the one I'm familiar with) on DVD (back when Nickelodeon used to have some good shows).
    I remember my C64.. on BBS's until 2am calling myself "The Nowhere Man" (I was 13 yo, more like "Barely-A-Man") ... and when they started in COLOR, wow that was "so killer." I played EA Summer Olypics quite a bit and wrote programs in BASIC. Then I went to college and I had to get the newest thing out (funny how some things DON'T change no matter how old you get...) and I bought the ultra sleek and immenently "portable" MAC. I spent $1300 I believe. Well, 2 years later I couldn't give it away (actually I ended up gutting the little box and turning into a fish tank, which I then sold for $50 bucks). Well, way back in 1998 I bought one of those old Pent II 400 Mhz dealies. Aaaahh.. So long ago. I got it at Gateway (the cow place - remember?). I spent $2300 I believe. Well, I got that YourWare program dealie where you can "trade it in on a newer model." You guys remember that program don't you... seems like just yesterday. Of course, the total sum of my trade in was just over $50 bucks. So, I have a new theory... anytime you buy something.. it will eventually be worth "$50 bucks." (You may have to turn into a fish tank to get the money though). FLASH TO THE FUTURE... Ad reads: Used Treo 270... $50 bucks. No, it doesn't have parallel video feed, nor does it have picture in picture in picture plasma screen.. But it still works.. would have made a fish tank but the brine shrimp kept leaking out."
    Hey, I like Bill Nye! Okay, the guy in the rat costume was over the top but it was fun to watch, especially the time he threw a computer terminal off a roof (it was the same type of terminal I was using, and not likeing much, at work at the time).
    The light at the end of your tunnel has been disconnected due to non-payment. Please remit funds immediately for restoration of hope.
    Originally posted by K. Cannon
    Who voted in the great Trix election that the rabbit should get to eat Trix!!

I did! The kids on the Trix commercials were almost as irritating as the Road Runner.
    Yes! Glad to hear I'm not the only one who wanted to have the rabbit finally get Trix...

As for the Road Runner, I say let the Coyote eat the silly bird! Poor guy was constantly getting mashed, flattened, and generally abused. Geez, those cartoons were violent... One more "beep beep" and I would have wrung his scrawny neck myself.
    "When I am Empress...Heads will roll!"
    Queen of Parts
    Originally posted by Yorick
    Hey, I like Bill Nye! Okay, the guy in the rat costume was over the top but it was fun to watch, especially the time he threw a computer terminal off a roof (it was the same type of terminal I was using, and not likeing much, at work at the time).
    Are you sure you aren't thinking of Beakman , who I think is WAAAY better than that stuff shirt Bill Nye..
    "One of the most important things you learn from the internet is that there is no ‘them’ out there. It’s just an awful lot of ‘us’." -- Douglas Adams
    Originally posted by EricG
    Are you sure you aren't thinking of Beakman
    possibly -- one of those kids' science shows had a guy in rat or mouse outfit.
    But the show I actually watched was Bill Nye the Science Guy.
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast