View Poll Results: How many questions of the 2010 US Census would you answer if asked.

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • One

4 10.00%
  • Two

0 0%
  • Three

1 2.50%
  • Four

1 2.50%
  • Five

0 0%
  • Six

0 0%
  • Seven

0 0%
  • Eight

1 2.50%
  • Nine - All 10

28 70.00%
  • Zero - I'm fed up or don't care.

5 12.50%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1.    #41  
    We all seem to agree about the same underlying issue. The are reasons for some of the questions or invasions. Many of them are of good intention and justified. There is a point as some of you have seen where the question comes to mind "where does it end". It does not come down to paranoia. It comes down to when a person believes that he/she does not need to be monitored like a child anymore. Both my wife and I dedicate our lives to the welfare of people. She is in charge of a 40 bed Emergency Department and I a Professional Firefighter/EMT. It is amazing how many people we come across that can only say the word check and bank. They sit on their **** and just wait for the handouts. Not a word of English yet they expect it all. That is what some of that Census information is use for. In fact a large portion.
    Today in the US there is near 60% of the population that receives more money from the government then they give. Why? This is a country where anyone can get an extended education for free or with a guaranteed loan. After all we are all equal. Why do I have to be monitored? Why do you? One of you stated "They don't have a secret agenda or evil plan to strip you of your freedoms". We have all seen what has been going on over the last 10 or 20 years. The fastest and most agressive seems to has ocurred over the last 2 years or so. ( yes both Bush and Obama). Am I scared. Hell yes. I am more scared for my children and grandchildren.

Once a freedom or right is given up or taken away it will NEVER come back. Just look at the past. Lets say I am black or hispanic. Who care? Does that mean that I am better or worse then a Canadian or Italian? What about the American Indians? Male - vs - Female? Come on. Anyone no matter what their makeup can get off their ****, by choice, and get ahead.
    It comes down to the community helping our the neighbor now being controlled or dictated by the government. I say to the government that we need them to get out and we will make it in the end. Just let us try as a people.

In my house there are 2. End of census.
    Sprint: 2-TouchPad 32g, Frank.-Pre-2, Pre-, MiFi & 1-LG Lotus with Xlink tied to home handsets. Backups: 650 & 700wx

HP Please release the CDMA Pre3 phones!
    We want them!!!
  2.    #42  
    ryleyinstl - I like your fresh insight. It's a little late but welcome to the USA.
    Sprint: 2-TouchPad 32g, Frank.-Pre-2, Pre-, MiFi & 1-LG Lotus with Xlink tied to home handsets. Backups: 650 & 700wx

HP Please release the CDMA Pre3 phones!
    We want them!!!
    Hey i just got my official census form today. Im not finding any info about how can i do it on line instead of mailing it in. seriously man who mails stuff in any more. not to mention they had to spend money like a week and a half ago just to tell us that they was going to send us the official census form soon, so now we get it and need to mail it back. sounds like a big waste of money and a bad way to set an example about the world being green crap along with wasting our hard earned tax money for this. now since they didn't go the electronic route I'm sure they need to pay people to read it cause i didn't see any of them black bars on the side that indicates it would go throw a machine.
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    It wasn't. I have never had any reason to doubt the intentions of the government. Government like anything else isn't perfect, requires oversight and the more people involved the better the results. I suppose I'm bringing a view of the Canadian system to this (Constitutional Monarchy/Parliamentary Democracy) as I have only been living in the USA just shy of 3 years. That said it seems to me the the American Government has taken a freak out approach in the last 8 years. Shoot first, ask questions later and do what it likes regardless of all else (read: Iraq). Do I trust the USA Govenment less than that of the Canadian Crown? Yes.

Regardless.........Government is necessary. We need police constables, highways, defense, health inspectors, teachers, weather reports and crash safety standards. Someone has to make all this happen and has to do it with us as the top priority. The bureaucrats that do this work day in and day out do so with the same pride you take in your daily work. They don't have a secret agenda or evil plan to strip you of your freedoms. They want to do their jobs and do it well like anyone else. These people are your kids teachers, your neighbors and possibly members of your family. Census data is critical for hundreds of reasons from immigration to health care to poverty. Just because average Joe citizen doesn't understand why the Government needs to know how many people live in his house doesn't mean the question isn't important.

If you think the establishment is out to get you and your freedoms are being violated then enact change. This is a Republic after all. The USA has a very proud history of fighting for something better.
    Nice.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Quote Originally Posted by Finally Pre View Post
    We all seem to agree about the same underlying issue. The are reasons for some of the questions or invasions. Many of them are of good intention and justified. There is a point as some of you have seen where the question comes to mind "where does it end". It does not come down to paranoia. It comes down to when a person believes that he/she does not need to be monitored like a child anymore. Both my wife and I dedicate our lives to the welfare of people. She is in charge of a 40 bed Emergency Department and I a Professional Firefighter/EMT. It is amazing how many people we come across that can only say the word check and bank. They sit on their **** and just wait for the handouts. Not a word of English yet they expect it all. That is what some of that Census information is use for. In fact a large portion.
    Today in the US there is near 60% of the population that receives more money from the government then they give. Why? This is a country where anyone can get an extended education for free or with a guaranteed loan. After all we are all equal. Why do I have to be monitored? Why do you? One of you stated "They don't have a secret agenda or evil plan to strip you of your freedoms". We have all seen what has been going on over the last 10 or 20 years. The fastest and most agressive seems to has ocurred over the last 2 years or so. ( yes both Bush and Obama). Am I scared. Hell yes. I am more scared for my children and grandchildren.

Once a freedom or right is given up or taken away it will NEVER come back. Just look at the past. Lets say I am black or hispanic. Who care? Does that mean that I am better or worse then a Canadian or Italian? What about the American Indians? Male - vs - Female? Come on. Anyone no matter what their makeup can get off their ****, by choice, and get ahead.
    It comes down to the community helping our the neighbor now being controlled or dictated by the government. I say to the government that we need them to get out and we will make it in the end. Just let us try as a people.

In my house there are 2. End of census.
    All the people I knew who did not speak english were working hard (aka what some call "stealing jobs" - although, I never saw a "stolen" job I'd do).

The people sitting around were the white and black people who complained about stolen jobs. The whites or blacks who knew the system... or who did not want to stand out in the cold with the Hispanics hoping someone has enough work for them that day (not standing around waiting for a handout).

At any rate, I was only making a point... you have losers on all sides... white black, hispanic, italian, etc... does not matter.

Most only want a chance to work and provide for their family. At some point, we all figure we have reached our limit (even if we have not) and hope our children can go higher.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Classy.

Is Harvey counted? Who decides who exists?

I'll take one of these stolen jobs.

Long days and pleasant nights,
    Ben
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    I am not going to fill any of it out. (sarcasm)

They already have all the information in other databases anyway. (not sarcasm)

For the typical American and all the forms and information you have provided to various government entities over the years, do you really think they don't already have access to most of this information. Between IRS forms, school admission forms, financial aid forms for college, etc.

For people who don't pay taxes, are illegal or some other way subverting the government I can see why they don't want to answer any of the questions. For those with nothing to hide then I can't see the issue. We gave up privacy years ago, get used to it.
    From the article you linked.....EPIC obtained documents revealing that the Census Bureau provided the Department of Homeland Security statistical data on people who identified themselves on the 2000 census as being of Arab ancestry.

The Census folks provided statistical data to DHS, not personal information. Nothing untoward about that. Under US law the Census people can not give out personal information.

If the Census Bureau is anything like Statistics Canada then I'm sure they give all sorts of statistical data to all levels of federal and state agencies.....you know, so they can govern and provide services effectively.

Quote Originally Posted by RPFTW View Post
    Last edited by ryleyinstl; 03/16/2010 at 08:31 AM.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    I just filled out my census form yesterday. There was no questions regarding my religious affiliation or lack there of. The Census did/does not play a role in the wrongful detention of American's....Muslim, Christian or Canadian.

You must have missed the news reports after 9/11 where the FBI went around arresting muslims and tossing them in jails and then released them months later when they exhausted their attempts at digging up dirt on them...
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    A phone number is a very good unique identifier, given the lack of SS Ids with immigrants.
    You received the short form instead of the long form if there were no questions regarding race, etc.
    & Yes it is historical fact that census data played a role in the detention of the Japanese and Muslim Arabs.
    The short form asks questions about race not religion. Race and religion are independent of each other in my experience.
    Last edited by ryleyinstl; 03/16/2010 at 10:51 AM.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123