Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    I'm talking about the mailer, not the census. How much do you think that cost Big Sis? And how many people tossed it without even noticing much more than it wasn't a bill or a personal letter?

Btw, lots of people that do not have internet access check their email at local libraries. I know this first hand. My wife works at one in a small village. Even homeless people stop by to check thier yahoo accounts.
    Actually the mailed census is in lieu of door to door paid interviews and will cost them less, the pre-reminder mailer is shown by research to increase response rates of the following mailed questionnaires. But don't let little things like reality interrupt this thread... please proceed.
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    I'm going to have a response to this thread.
    Ha! Expect a post from me next week about how much I liked that post.
    Quote Originally Posted by groovy View Post
    Ha! Expect a post from me next week about how much I liked that post.
    LoL
    Quote Originally Posted by groovy View Post
    Didn't even open it. Something... ANYTHING in my mailbox addressed to "or current resident" goes in the trash.
    Surely you meant the recycle bin , right?
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas View Post
    Actually the mailed census is in lieu of door to door paid interviews and will cost them less, the pre-reminder mailer is shown by research to increase response rates of the following mailed questionnaires. But don't let little things like reality interrupt this thread... please proceed.
    To proceed...I think the issue is waste built into the process. In lieu of an independently mailed piece of paper that most ignore, electronic notification should be an option for those who have access. For those who don't, insert a similar reminder with the city water bill and save the postage (that way they can ignore just the insert versus the additional envelope and postage), thus costing them less. It's another example of shaky logic, like $2.5 million for a super bowl ad. So in reality, when the government makes a decision that affects how they choose to spend their money (our money), a collective cringe is expected.
    Quote Originally Posted by joshaccount View Post
    To proceed...I think the issue is waste built into the process. In lieu of an independently mailed piece of paper that most ignore, electronic notification should be an option for those who have access. For those who don't, insert a similar reminder with the city water bill and save the postage (that way they can ignore just the insert versus the additional envelope and postage), thus costing them less. It's another example of shaky logic, like $2.5 million for a super bowl ad. So in reality, when the government makes a decision that affects how they choose to spend their money (our money), a collective cringe is expected.
    But they will do better with healthcare.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    Quote Originally Posted by joshaccount View Post
    Well, besides ignoring the fact that different cities have different water supplies, IE public vs private but let's look at some more facts.

If 1% of Super Bowl viewers who otherwise would not have completed their census do so because of seeing the add, it would save $25-30 Million in followup costs. So let's see, $2.5 million saves minimum $25 million. That's the kind of spending I like to apply to my business.

But please, go on...
    Well, besides ignoring the fact that different cities have different water supplies, IE public vs private but let's look at some more facts.

If 1% of Super Bowl viewers who otherwise would not have completed their census do so because of seeing the add, it would save $25-30 Million in followup costs. So let's see, $2.5 million saves minimum $25 million. That's the kind of spending I like to apply to my business.

But please, go on...
    Think outside the little example I've provided. The water bill is just one avenue for cities , counties, parrishes, municipalities, etc. to communicate with residents without having to send out a second piece of metered mail. You seem like you are full of interesting information, and I'm sure the fact that some people get their water from a private source wouldn't slow you down too much.

In my opinion, most people see the superbowl ad as, at best, an ineffective joke, at worse, a waste of millions of tax-payer dollars. Your opinion and your math disagree. I'm fine with that. I think the operational logic is seriously flawed. No need to go on...
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Wow. Ok. I wasn't aware of this research that you're obviously privvy to. Sounds logical. I'll humbly try to refrain from wishy-washy unrealistic musings in the future without first doing my due dilligence.
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    It's just like before they were sending out the economic stimulus checks. Virtually everyone in the country seemed to know about it, but they had to first send us a letter telling us they were going to mail us a check. And how much does it cost to mail every working person in the United States a letter...twice? Ugh.
    Quote Originally Posted by von11 View Post
    It's just like before they were sending out the economic stimulus checks. Virtually everyone in the country seemed to know about it, but they had to first send us a letter telling us they were going to mail us a check. And how much does it cost to mail every working person in the United States a letter...twice? Ugh.
    Seems like it would be easy for decision makers to see the obvious, especially in a down economy where cutting unnecessary spending should be a priority.
    Last edited by pogeypre; 03/11/2010 at 11:58 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    Wow. Ok. I wasn't aware of this research that you're obviously privvy to. Sounds logical. I'll humbly try to refrain from wishy-washy unrealistic musings in the future without first doing my due dilligence.
    I just happened to see an interview with the director of the census over these issues and also recalled from my minor in Soc that alert mailings do indeed increase mailed survey response rates.

Although, I wish EVERY American did have access to email for such purposes.
    Hello,

I could be way off here, it wouldn't be the first time. I feel like in the U.S.A. everyone with a social security number should already be accounted for. So, the census is to find people who live here illegally?

I'm not saying the government wants to know so they can remove these people, but why not keep it real if that's the case. If everyone born in the U.S.A. and all the people who followed the legal steps to be here aren't accounted for already, what's the point?

I sure hope some of that makes sense. Why not put cameras everywhere and just count the people that way? That might solve all our problems, right?

Thanks.

p.s. They should probably ask everyone if they know, and could name, a terrorist or spy. Just in case.
    Quote Originally Posted by beerbatteredben View Post
    Hello,

I could be way off here, it wouldn't be the first time. I feel like in the U.S.A. everyone with a social security number should already be accounted for. So, the census is to find people who live here illegally?

I'm not saying the government wants to know so they can remove these people, but why not keep it real if that's the case. If everyone born in the U.S.A. and all the people who followed the legal steps to be here aren't accounted for already, what's the point?

I sure hope some of that makes sense. Why not put cameras everywhere and just count the people that way? That might solve all our problems, right?

Thanks.

p.s. They should probably ask everyone if they know, and could name, a terrorist or spy. Just in case.
    The point of the census is to find out where populations are concentrated and those populations demographics, IE how many people have/do not have Internet access.
    All right,

Is the goal to make internet access a right given to everyone in the U.S.A. no matter where they live?

I don't have a job, could the census find me one? My fingers will be crossed.

peace.

This liverpool game is okay, by the way.
    Quote Originally Posted by beerbatteredben View Post
    All right,

Is the goal to make internet access a right given to everyone in the U.S.A. no matter where they live?

I don't have a job, could the census find me one? My fingers will be crossed.

peace.

This liverpool game is okay, by the way.
    Yes.
    I'll lace up my work boots.
    The point of the census is to find out where populations are concentrated and those populations demographics, IE how many people have/do not have Internet access.
    Internet access as a right? Awesome. Let's make 55+ inch tvs and Directv a right to while we're at it.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof View Post
    Internet access as a right? Awesome. Let's make 55+ inch tvs and Directv a right to while we're at it.
    ..... don't forget PS3's.
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof View Post
    Did not say that.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast