Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Yes that's right!
    All of us may soon have to carry a National ID card. Kind of sounds like a Twilight Zone scene. I can see it now. Walking down the street and a person walks up to me and to ask if I have my papers.

Here is the link and part of the article.

ID Card for Workers at Center of Immigration Plan

***The Wall Street Journal ***

Under a potentially controversial plan still taking shape in the Senate, all legal U.S. workers, including citizens and immigrants, would be issued an ID card with embedded information.

Lawmakers working to craft a new comprehensive immigration bill have settled on a way to prevent employers from hiring illegal immigrants: a national biometric identification card all American workers would eventually be required to obtain.

Under the potentially controversial plan still taking shape in the Senate, all legal U.S. workers, including citizens and immigrants, would be issued an ID card with embedded information, such as fingerprints, to tie the card to the worker.

The ID card plan is one of several steps advocates of an immigration overhaul are taking to address concerns that have defeated similar bills in the past.

The uphill effort to pass a bill is being led by Sens. Chuck Schumer (D., N.Y.) and Lindsey Graham (R., S.C.), who plan to meet with President Barack Obama as soon as this week to update him on their work. An administration official said the White House had no position on the biometric card.

"It's the nub of solving the immigration dilemma politically speaking," Schumer said in an interview. The card, he said, would directly answer concerns that after legislation is signed, another wave of illegal immigrants would arrive. "If you say they can't get a job when they come here, you'll stop it."

The biggest objections to the biometric cards may come from privacy advocates, who fear they would become de facto national ID cards that enable the government to track citizens.

"It is fundamentally a massive invasion of people's privacy," said Chris Calabrese, legislative counsel for the American Civil Liberties Union. "We're not only talking about fingerprinting every American, treating ordinary Americans like criminals in order to work. We're also talking about a card that would quickly spread from work to voting to travel to pretty much every aspect of American life that requires identification."
    Sprint: 2-TouchPad 32g, Frank.-Pre-2, Pre-, MiFi & 1-LG Lotus with Xlink tied to home handsets. Backups: 650 & 700wx

HP Please release the CDMA Pre3 phones!
    We want them!!!
    That is some 1984 Big Brother stuff right there!
    One writer said the time will come when you won't be able to buy or sale without the designated ID
    isnt our post 9/11 america fun maybe theyll add in some retinal scanners at airports to see who you are and where your from/going
    forged versions coming soon to a border town near you.

why is it that Eisenhower didn't need any of this crap to clear out illegal immigrants during his administrations....
    Quote Originally Posted by 063_xobx View Post
    isnt our post 9/11 america fun maybe theyll add in some retinal scanners at airports to see who you are and where your from/going
    I'm already subject to such scans when entering the USA on the VISA I currently have.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by hrminer92 View Post
    forged versions coming soon to a border town near you.

why is it that Eisenhower didn't need any of this crap to clear out illegal immigrants during his administrations....
    you have something against illegal immigrants????
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    1. Have you heard of a driver's license?

2. What are you all mad about now, they've been able to follow your every move for years now thanks to internet, cell phones, and the patriot act.
    Quote Originally Posted by SISGO View Post
    you have something against illegal immigrants????
    Yes! They make the US Citizens panhandling on the freeway exits look bad!
    Quote Originally Posted by sracercelica View Post
    Yes! They make the US Citizens panhandling on the freeway exits look bad!
    ok, so what's is this thread about? Discrimination??.. Racism??.. Or hate??
    Anyway you look at it illegal immigrants are a bad thing for the USA (or any other nation for that matter). There is a legal way to be in the USA and if I can follow the law so can all other folks who want to be here.

Given the situation the US economy is in right now citizens and legal aliens deserve to be protected against cheep illegal labour.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    Anyway you look at it illegal immigrants are a bad thing for the USA (or any other nation for that matter). There is a legal way to be in the USA and if I can follow the law so can all other folks who want to be here.

Given the situation the US economy is in right now citizens and legal aliens deserve to be protected against cheep illegal labour.
    Except the system is so f**ked up, and backed up.
    Quote Originally Posted by sracercelica View Post
    Except the system is so f**ked up, and backed up.
    I can't argue with that but in my experience it's not much better in other western nations.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Hang on a minute. They're all sure to show up any minute now....
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    I think it's kinda cool, especially if they tie it to your financials in some way, I'm really sick of having to carry a passport, drivers license, two debit cards, SS card, prepaid visa card, cash, change, and all those gift cards/club cards. I've bee ready for someone to consolidate it all for a long time now.

But I guess that idea is not very likely, but still more realistic than a big-brother comparison.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alex.dobeck View Post
    I think it's kinda cool, especially if they tie it to your financials in some way, I'm really sick of having to carry a passport, drivers license, two debit cards, SS card, prepaid visa card, cash, change, and all those gift cards/club cards. I've bee ready for someone to consolidate it all for a long time now.

But I guess that idea is not very likely, but still more realistic than a big-brother comparison.
    We are the Borg. Lower your shields. Your biological and technological distinctivness will be added to our own. Resistance if futile!
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    They won't be illegal too much longer

Although I don't necessarily agree with everything. The SPP is real and treaties were signed without our consent or the consent from Congress.

Phones in Family pre> pre> pre> Centro> Rant
    Who cares? Your suppose to show your id when you use your check card anyways. You have to have an ID to get a job. You need one to drive a car. What is wrong with having one national ID. Big Brother is already here. You guys have been getting dumbed down for to long to realize it. Maybe they could start a federal sales tax for people with no ID. That would fix the immigration problem or at least force them to pay a portion of their income to tax.

Soylent Green is People!!!
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kc_exactly View Post
    Who cares? Your suppose to show your id when you use your check card anyways. You have to have an ID to get a job. You need one to drive a car. What is wrong with having one national ID. Big Brother is already here. You guys have been getting dumbed down for to long to realize it. Maybe they could start a federal sales tax for people with no ID. That would fix the immigration problem or at least force them to pay a portion of their income to tax.

Soylent Green is People!!!
    Like you said, we have tons of "id" already in place.... and somehow we still have illegal aliens in this country. Just another billion dollar boondoggle that tax payers will be saddled with imho. And we don't have an immigration problem. That system works fine, thanks.
  20.    #20  
    We already have D.L.'s, Passports, fishing & hunting Lis., Birth Certificates, SS cards, Work ID's, etc.... If there is going to be a National ID and these other items are tied into it as add ons so we only have to carry one ID then I am all for it. But if an Illegal Alien can get a credit card from Back of America with no ID then why do I or anyone else for that matter need to carry anything.

As far as this remark. It is not needed. As you know the thread is about a National ID. And it is a question of maybe your rights or privacy. That's all, nothing more. Since you brought it up - As far as Discrimination - it could be, in that we legal ones will be required to have it. Illegal will not. Racism - Maybe on the Government end. Hate - The Government today has made it very clear that they hate us butting into the affairs of Washington and they would like to keep better track of us.
    Last edited by Finally Pre; 03/09/2010 at 10:49 PM.
    Sprint: 2-TouchPad 32g, Frank.-Pre-2, Pre-, MiFi & 1-LG Lotus with Xlink tied to home handsets. Backups: 650 & 700wx

HP Please release the CDMA Pre3 phones!
    We want them!!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast