Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    Avatar didn't win the Best Picture which went to The Hurt Locker. What a joke that was. All boo boo in the end. Just ridiculous.
    Did you see The Hurt Locker?
    Quote Originally Posted by mdshadley View Post
    Did you see The Hurt Locker?
    He probably hasn't.

But I’m glad "Hurt Locker" won.

I’m not much of a fan of the Oscars really, but I’ve just watched it double speed on the DVR.

It was among the years’ best films -- and arguably its best.

"Avatar" was enjoyable, diverting, and occasionally inspired -- but Hurt Locker had for me more depth and was far more involving.

I very much liked "Up In the Air". It was a film I saw weeks before it opened, and wondered if its darkish humor would find popular favor. Would George Clooney’s portrayal of an essentially heartless man who in moment of vulnerability shares his heart, only to have it broken -- have resonance ??

It very much deserved to be nominated as among the year’s best.

I was also happy that “The Most Dangerous Man in America” was given a nomination as best documentary. It brilliantly told a historic story in a dramatic, even riveting way. Daniel Ellsberg and the Pentagon Papers is a story that many of us thought we already knew -– but that knowledge I discovered, only glanced the surface.

I was glad even more though, that “The Cove” won for best in this category.

“The Cove” is a sometimes painful to watch documentary on the senseless slaughter of dolphins by Japanese fisherman. It is not nearly as well made or important as “The Most Dangerous Man in America”, but it’s a movie which could have a much more immediate impact if it is given wide distribution in Japan.

Until now the Japanese have mostly succeeded in suppressing the viewing of “The Cove”, something that the Oscar's notoriety will make more difficult.

The most surprising thing all evening ??

How incredible Demi Moore and Michele Pheiffer looked...
    Last edited by BARYE; 03/08/2010 at 06:00 AM.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    I have never cared much for the Oscars, but if one were to ever think that big budget monstrocities would win Best Picture, you might want to wait for the Golden Globes/Peoples Choice.

The Academy generally votes based on critical appeal and not ticket sales. Avatar was a lock in the minds of those who like movies mostly for their entertainment value. This sentiment is most often times not shared by Academy voters.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    For me, the Oscars mean just a little bit more than the Nobel Peace Prize.
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    I saw both movies and IMO com'on Avatar all the way... What's crazy is that they gave avatar cinematography and then trying to balance thing out and robbed it the best picture award. That is what i think happened my friends.
    I'll admit that I only saw a handfull of the nominated films, but of those I saw The Hurt Locker was by far the best. I was very glad to see it win for Picture and Direction.

I was also glad to see Avatar snubbed as much as possible. I liked it better when it was called Ferngully.
    Follow me on teh Twitterz
    the Hurt Locker was a way better movie than Avatar, all Avatar had going for it was the 3D, without it, it is just space Pocahontas.
    Crazy Heart was better than both of these movies Avatar had no chance with it's average story and average acting, every character was a cliche. Avatar special effect and technical achievements were amazing. I Did think Hurt locker was superb but for pure performances Crazy heart all the way.
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spader View Post
    I'll admit that I only saw a handfull of the nominated films, but of those I saw The Hurt Locker was by far the best. I was very glad to see it win for Picture and Direction.

I was also glad to see Avatar snubbed as much as possible. I liked it better when it was called Ferngully.
    Dances with Wolves and Ferngully on a diff. planet haha. Glad to see I'm not the only one that remembers Ferngully
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Hurt Locker was especially difficult for me to watch after my time in the military.

It's the bonds that you form with the guys you live/work with that create the emotion.

Movies like this are even harder now that I am home and working on a poli sci major.

So many lives lost for nothing.

So many families destroyed for nothing.

What's pathetic is that so many more people saw avatar in comparison to the hurt locker.

If the hurt locker doesn't make you want to sock the next guy in the face that pops off with some inane bull**** about how you should be "patriotic" and support "the war", I don't know what will...

/vomit
    THey gave it Kathryn Biglow to spite James Cameron. QT was robbed!!! Hell, B A S T E R D s should have been Best Picture!! And Yes, I saw Hurt Locker twice, District 9 quite a few times, Avatar quite a few times and B A S T E R D s More than a few. Big Deal, a guy would rather be out checking bombs than be with his family... The Academy REALLY got it wrong this year...
    Avatar is the science fiction version of Dances With Wolves. SIFI has never won a best Picture.
    Quote Originally Posted by yaggermr View Post
    Crazy Heart was better than both of these movies Avatar had no chance with it's average story and average acting, every character was a cliche. Avatar special effect and technical achievements were amazing. I Did think Hurt locker was superb but for pure performances Crazy heart all the way.
    "Crazy Heart" was beautifully told, persuasively acted, and an utterly believable story.

I bought into Bridge's dissolute redemption from his dalliance and love for and from his younger admiring muse.

And I appreciated the realism by which she ended their relationship when he screwed up minding her kid.

"Crazy Heart" was certainly amongst the year's bests -- but "Hurt Locker"
    remains for me, better.

BTW -- can any of you conspiracy folk explain how "Hurt Locker" -- a movie that had a long successful run in 2008 at my local Washington DC movie theater, was able to win the 2009 Oscar ???

(movies become "Oscar eligible" only after they have a qualified run at a L.A. movie theater -- other cities and dates are not considered)
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    The Hurt Locker was about as seeded in real life as Avatar was.

B a s t e r d s should have won, and I enjoyed Hurt Locker, for what it was...
    @chud311
    Inglorious *******s should have won. I loved the hurt locker but Quintin deserves to win he makes great movies and is always snubbed. I think an Education shouldn't have gotten pushed aside like it did. Its a great film and if any of you get a chance to see it take it you wont regret it.
    Quote Originally Posted by seancraig21 View Post
    @chud311
    Inglorious *******s should have won. I loved the hurt locker but Quintin deserves to win he makes great movies and is always snubbed. I think an Education shouldn't have gotten pushed aside like it did. Its a great film and if any of you get a chance to see it take it you wont regret it.
    As a big Tarantino fan. I would like to see him win it. His problem is that most people have difficulty relating to his films. My wife and I see his films totally different, I loved Grindhouse and she hated it... though she did like PF and Reservoir Dogs. Tarantino is an acquired taste for most.
    Phones in Family pre> pre> pre> Centro> Rant
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Personally I thought the storyline for Avatar was a C-. It was essentially a science fiction version of walt disney's Pocahontas. Almost identical plot, and 'message'. Evil greedy explorers invade a pristine and beautiful environment and destroy everything to get at the resources. The special effects were awesome, and deserved awards and praise.... but this was no "best picture".
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Soon there will be support groups to help those who are depressed Avatar didn't win best picture.

Hurt Locker won because it was the best, bottom line. The fan base for Avatar may be overwhelming in size, but so are Miley Cyrus fans.
    Avatard is an overdone plot. Yes, it was done nicely with all kind of whiz bang but an overdone plot none the less.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast