1.    #1  
    Hi folks, I wondered whether there are any water babies here who might be able to recommend a good location for a kayaking holiday. I am effectively an amateur, but it's something I've always wanted to do.

Thanks in advance
    Quote Originally Posted by SqyArc View Post
    Hi folks, I wondered whether there are any water babies here who might be able to recommend a good location for a kayaking holiday. I am effectively an amateur, but it's something I've always wanted to do.

Thanks in advance
    I'm going to promote WA state although personally I don't Kayak.

Kayaking in Washington State
    Depends on where you are going, Southern Virginia and West Virginia have some awesome sites, the most beautiful that I have been to are areas around the Grand Canyon. I have always wanted to go to Alaska to Kayak, that's supposed to be the ultimate in kayaking/rafting. Like I said, it all depends on what area of the US you were in. I tend to stick close to home now in Florida, where the water is calmer and you can enjoy the Dolphins and Manatees.

Where area do you plan on going to? Do you want a light challenge or more sightseeing?
    Phones in Family pre> pre> pre> Centro> Rant
    you wanna go kayaking, come up to Vancouver, BC and check out this website ....errrr i cant post url's yet

but its

www . deepcovekayak . com

used to work here. its great. see ya soon!
  5.    #5  
    Thanks for your replies - I just realised that I haven't given any useful information in my post haha.

I am looking for something that is comfortable but physically challenging (not dangerous/extreme) I'm interested more in sea rafting rather than river, lake or white water. Cold or warm water is not an issue, (I come from Scotland ).

My budget is roughly $1000 (I have a crap job).

In the meantime I'll definitely check out your suggestions. In particular I've heard awesome things about kayaking at the Grand Canyon.
    If you love to see wildlife while Kayaking, Crystal River is the way to go.

Chassahowitzka National Wildlife Refuge

Chassahowitzka National Wildlife Refuge

The Chassahowitzka National Wildlife Refuge, established in 1941, is comprised of over 31,000 acres of saltwater bays, estuaries and brackish marshes at the mouth of the Chassahowitzka River. The refuge, located approximately 65 miles north of St. Petersburg, FL, was established primarily to protect waterfowl habitat and is home to over 250 species of birds, over 50 species of retiles and amphibians, and at least 25 different species of mammals, including the endangered West Indian Manatee.

There is nothing quite like kayaking and having a Manatee swim up next to you looking for some lettuce (note it's a fine if you get caught feeding them). Parts of the river, you can jump in the water and swim in comfortable tempatures. There is so much wildlife in the area you will be awestruck.
    Thanks for your replies - I just realised that I haven't given any useful information in my post haha.

I am looking for something that is comfortable but physically challenging (not dangerous/extreme) I'm interested more in sea rafting rather than river, lake or white water. Cold or warm water is not an issue, (I come from Scotland ).

My budget is roughly $1000 (I have a crap job).

In the meantime I'll definitely check out your suggestions. In particular I've heard awesome things about kayaking at the Grand Canyon.

Grand Canyon is a great choice, but a little more pricey (IMO) in terms of travel costs. Like any place, it will be more expensive to get there than anything. Vancouver is also supposed to be great like the poster above said. I think if you're on a budget, finding a place thats cheap to fly into is the most important. Once you get to most places it's pretty cheap. Flying into Orlando, Tampa, Vancouver, Seattle, outskirts of LA (some pretty good spots around) etc. Remember it's the flight that will cost the most.
    Looking for whitewater or smoothwater? Guided or unguided?

I can highly recommend Alberta in either case.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Well, if that's the case I strongly suggest Seattle. Lake AND Sea kayaking.
    This is my area....the first legislatively designated paddling trail in Florida, and in fact in most place. It's similar to the Chassahowitzka area above, but a little north and less inhabited. If you want just nature, it's a great area.

Florida Outdoors Recreation Information for Florida Visitors and Tourists