Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. d.moss's Avatar
    Posts
    541 Posts
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
       #1  
    with nokia (and verizon?) allowing skype to be used on their devices and the advancements of clear, lte, and 4g; how long do you think cellular networks will remain? i believe that in the next 5 years we will start seeing small companies offer VoIP mobile service then the big guys will follow suit and/or buy them out.. thoughts?
  2. #2  
    Kind of crazy! I could see it moving that direction. It seems that everything is becoming more web based.
  3. #3  
    Still need some kind of network to provide the wireless data.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
  4. d.moss's Avatar
    Posts
    541 Posts
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
       #4  
    yep. everything.. television.. it's only natural that the phone will move that too.. this is why i see blu-ray as a gimmick.. because in the future i see a cordless all in one system.. your tv will be your computer... you will download hd movies directly to a hard drive.. and it'll all be offered by which ever service provider you choose... with mobile phone as well.. imagine that.. your internet, cable, mobile phone as well as home phone bills all paid at one time to one provider.. it would be great..
  5. Helidos's Avatar
    Posts
    791 Posts
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by d.moss View Post
    imagine that.. your internet, cable, mobile phone as well as home phone bills all paid at one time to one provider.. it would be great..
    Att offers this already... But I get what your saying
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    Still need some kind of network to provide the wireless data.
    Yes...and imagine how much that data is GOING to cost?! The telco's will get their money! And you'll still need a Skype IN/OUT account, so would you really be saving $? If businesses and your grandmothers adopted Skype, I can see a radical change...but when that happens, we will just probably pay more for data. The cap for most carriers is 5gb, and I doubt that LTE/WiMax will life that cap (without a 'nominal' fee). All in all, we are just switching who we pay, not how much.
  7. groovy's Avatar
    Posts
    941 Posts
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by d.moss View Post
    yep. everything.. television.. it's only natural that the phone will move that too.. this is why i see blu-ray as a gimmick.. because in the future i see a cordless all in one system.. your tv will be your computer... you will download hd movies directly to a hard drive.. and it'll all be offered by which ever service provider you choose... with mobile phone as well.. imagine that.. your internet, cable, mobile phone as well as home phone bills all paid at one time to one provider.. it would be great..
    Hard drive? Surely you don't mean those antiquated spinning disks!
  8. Helidos's Avatar
    Posts
    791 Posts
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    Yes...and imagine how much that data is GOING to cost?! The telco's will get their money! And you'll still need a Skype IN/OUT account, so would you really be saving $? If businesses and your grandmothers adopted Skype, I can see a radical change...but when that happens, we will just probably pay more for data. The cap for most carriers is 5gb, and I doubt that LTE/WiMax will life that cap (without a 'nominal' fee). All in all, we are just switching who we pay, not how much.
    The carriers would likely create there own voip and your phone would act as it does now. Except it would likely be based on a flat rate plan including x amount of data or maybe unlimited, instead fo 500mins, 1200mins etc.. And specialty calls being per minute like international etc..

    NO carrier is going to give your a phone and go ok now go home and sign up for one of these voip services and enjoy.

    That's like buying a car and being told ok now get it towed to tire kingdom to buy some tires and enjoy!!!!
  9. d.moss's Avatar
    Posts
    541 Posts
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
       #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by groovy View Post
    Hard drive? Surely you don't mean those antiquated spinning disks!
    you know what.. you're right.. screw a hard drive.. connections will be so fast that it can all be stored on a server!
  10. Helidos's Avatar
    Posts
    791 Posts
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by d.moss View Post
    you know what.. you're right.. screw a hard drive.. connections will be so fast that it can all be stored on a server!
    Oh no I want a copy so they will have these cool new routers with removable mini 10TB SSD network drives.. and for more storage you can buy an addon module that holds another 6 drives. Of course all together it will be about the size of a phone book
  11. d.moss's Avatar
    Posts
    541 Posts
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
       #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by helidos View Post
    Oh no I want a copy so they will have these cool new routers with removable mini 10TB SSD network drives.. and for more storage you can buy an addon module that holds another 6 drives. Of course all together it will be about the size of a phone book
    because 10 terabytes definitely isn't enough storage! lmao.. good stuff.. and i'm sure that in the future 10tb will be the size of a thumb drive... yes.. the future is a beautiful fantasy..
  12. Helidos's Avatar
    Posts
    791 Posts
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by d.moss View Post
    because 10 terabytes definitely isn't enough storage! lmao.. good stuff.. and i'm sure that in the future 10tb will be the size of a thumb drive... yes.. the future is a beautiful fantasy..
    Of course not only bad thing I heard about it was it would have a built in FBI agent that pops out if you try to share the files off the drive and steals your wallet when you sleep.. Talk about anti piracy measures

Posting Permissions