Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1.    #1  
    Hello,

    I am thinking about buying something like a flip cam. Nothing too serious, but I feel like because my phone will soon have video capability, I should get one.

    My problem is, I have little knowledge of such things. I was hoping I could get some first-hand advice.

    Thanks,
    Ben
  2. #2  
    Huh? thinking of flip cam and now since Pre will have Video too you should get a SEPERATE cam.

    First could you tell us what one has to do with the other? And what do you need the camera for?
  3.    #3  
    All right, one has very little to do with the other. Just a little joke.

    I want to take videos of various things that occur in my life. I'm not trying to film Avatar 2. Just fun things I see.

    I can only imagine what a ten minute video capture would do to the battery on my pre. I bet it makes me

    Anyway, I don't much care for pictures, so that doesn't really matter. Just taking videos for me to be amused by later. I have A LOT of time on my hands.

    Thanks again!
  4. mattickus's Avatar
    Posts
    87 Posts
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    #4  
    I have the Kodak Zi8 and it takes really nice 1080p or 720p 60fps vids in good lighting. It doesn't have a light so it's not that great in dark settings. I think it only takes 5mp pics but I don't really use it for pics since it has no flash. They are only about $160 and use sdhc cards. The battery life is pretty decent, about 2 hrs of video on a charge.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by mattickus View Post
    I have the Kodak Zi8 and it takes really nice 1080p or 720p 60fps vids in good lighting. It doesn't have a light so it's not that great in dark settings. I think it only takes 5mp pics but I don't really use it for pics since it has no flash. They are only about $160 and use sdhc cards. The battery life is pretty decent, about 2 hrs of video on a charge.
    Thanks, friend.
  6. #6  
    I have a Flip Mino that I was given as a gift. I like it well enough. It lives in my bag, so it is with me almost every day and I find a lot of occasions to use it.

    I'd have never bought it for myself, but I like having it with me.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by noco37 View Post
    I have a Flip Mino that I was given as a gift. I like it well enough. It lives in my bag, so it is with me almost every day and I find a lot of occasions to use it.

    I'd have never bought it for myself, but I like having it with me.
    Hi,

    I have a feeling we might be on the same page as far as usage. I doubt anyone will gift me anything like that, though.

    I am interested, do these things come with software for editing? In either case, what are the good programs?

    I have an alright computer. I assume it would run most things. Firefox opens before I even click on it, it seems.

    Maybe I'll go to Best Buy and see what kind of nonsense they throw around.

    one love.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by beerbatteredben View Post
    I am interested, do these things come with software for editing? In either case, what are the good programs?
    No, they do not. For basic stuff I use VirtualDub (FOSS). It is not as powerful as a proper NLE, but it should cover most any need for a part time user.

    Here are a few other alternatives:
    Microsoft Movie Maker (Windows)
    Avidemux (Linux, Windows)
    Cinelerra (Linux)
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by noco37 View Post
    No, they do not. For basic stuff I use VirtualDub (FOSS). It is not as powerful as a proper NLE, but it should cover most any need for a part time user.

    Here are a few other alternatives:
    Microsoft Movie Maker (Windows)
    Avidemux (Linux, Windows)
    Cinelerra (Linux)
    This is all helpful, thanks.

    My rig runs windows. Did I use that right?
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by beerbatteredben View Post
    This is all helpful, thanks.

    My rig runs windows.
    Then I would recommend you check out VirtualDUb. If you want to spend a little money, Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum is very nice for the $84.95 price tag.

    Edit: I see that all of your posts are in the "Off Topic" forum.... Just wondering why.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by noco37 View Post
    Then I would recommend you check out VirtualDUb. If you want to spend a little money, Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum is very nice for the $84.95 price tag.

    Edit: I see that all of your posts are in the "Off Topic" forum.... Just wondering why.
    Good eye, yo.

    I have made some comments on articles on the main page. I have had 0 issues with my pre since I got it in maybe July.

    I have a feeling my input on any on topic subject would be of no use.

    yours,
    Ben
  12. #12  
    Pinnacle Studio 14 (from Avid) is avail for $50-80 is much more powerful than you'll ever use, and is the easiest NLE for a novice to learn
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE View Post
    Pinnacle Studio 14 (from Avid) is avail for $50-80 is much more powerful than you'll ever use, and is the easiest NLE for a novice to learn
    I'd argue in favor of Sony Vegas Plat., but to each their own.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by noco37 View Post
    I'd argue in favor of Sony Vegas Plat., but to each their own.
    Most entry level NLEs have a common subset of features and capabilities -- features and capabilities which are perhaps are done well or badly -- but the basics are there.

    I don't know the consumer Vegas (the Professional version is highly regarded) but as far as I know, Studio has one feature that I know of in no other NLE.

    As part of its import process, it automatically captures a still frame every 10 seconds (or any interval). This makes the searching of lengthy material very efficient -- and greatly streamlines things.

    I know of no other NLE that handles this process as seamlessly or easily.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
  15.    #15  
    Thanks all.

    Get ready to watch videos of me doing push ups on youtube!

    p.s. There will be no videos of me doing push ups on youtube.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by beerbatteredben View Post
    Thanks all.

    Get ready to watch videos of me doing push ups on youtube!

    p.s. There will be no videos of me doing push ups on youtube.
    Just the good laugh I needed at 01:51. TY.
  17.    #17  
    I'm just glad somebody got one of my jokes.

    If I could get a job, I'd be set.

    peace.

Posting Permissions