Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22
  1.    #1  
    I just got a promotion and a raise for the work i do (and you guys probably thought i never get any work done, what with all the time i spend here at Pre|C ).
    I am the only person to get a raise at this job since i began here two years ago.
    At my old job (at a major telecommunications company in NYC), raises were only what was negotiated by the union for thousands of employees.
    This raise at my new job here in ATL, was specifically for me.
    This morning, i find myself wondering, am i expected to work "up" to the extra money i'm making now?
    OR-
    If i was already doing "extra" and got the raise because of that, do i just keep working at the pace that i was before the raise?
    It's funny, because i worked at my old job in NYC for almost 20 years without this question popping into my head.
    It's just that things are alot different here in the South, it's a different world, jobwise.
    Last edited by dbdoinit; 02/22/2010 at 09:30 AM.
  2. #2  
    I dunno, Mr. Moneybags, but can I have five bucks?


    scrooge mcduck used to say work smarter not harder.

    most of my life decisions are based on the advice of animated waterfowel, so I might not be the best person to ask.
    There are four lights.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by windzilla View Post
    I dunno, Mr. Moneybags, but can I have five bucks?


    scrooge mcduck used to say work smarter not harder.

    most of my life decisions are based on the advice of animated waterfowel, so I might not be the best person to ask.
    Lol, hahaha.
    The money's already spent.
    I'm married, remember?
    http://forums.precentral.net/off-topic/231156-help-wanted-can-anybody-explain-how-woman-thinks-anybody.html
  4. #4  
    Congratulations! I am "secretly" in the process of being outsourced. Ssshhh, I'm not supposed to know..... I'm just the IT guy. I know nothing.
  5. #5  
    Raise = maintain work level, Promotion = time to step your game up!

    Congrats, by the way!!
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    Raise = maintain work level, Promotion = time to step your game up!

    Congrats, by the way!!
    Thank you.
    Do you think this is a general rule of thumb in the workplace, or mainly just how you feel about it?
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    Raise = maintain work level, Promotion = time to step your game up!

    Congrats, by the way!!
    This pretty much sums up my thoughts as well.

    Of course, to get the promotion, you might have to step your game up after just the raise. haha
    Follow me on teh Twitterz
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Spader View Post
    This pretty much sums up my thoughts as well.

    Of course, to get the promotion, you might have to step your game up after just the raise. haha
    I got the promotion along with the raise.
  9. #9  
    oh yes, I totally should have said


    Congratulations!
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    Thank you.
    Do you think this is a general rule of thumb in the workplace, or mainly just how you feel about it?
    I'd look at it as a rule of thumb, but all that really matters is what your coworkers and managers (or a next employer when you switch jobs) will think/expect from you. Most promotions require harder work (unless you were already doing that job before the promotion anyway).
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    Thank you.
    Do you think this is a general rule of thumb in the workplace, or mainly just how you feel about it?
    I think that is the rule of thumb, as I intepret it. During your time in your position, its highly likely that you will get increased responsibilities. How you handle those responsibilities will help determine if you are suitable for the promotion. So I maintain that you do not need to actively step up your game, just handle your business as usual after a raise.

    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    I got the promotion along with the raise.
    Usually, a promotion comes with a raise. Yes, I know that sometimes the money will be the same, but usually, a promotion comes with increased compensation (which could also be more benefits like increased PTO, higher life insurance caps, better stock options, etc)
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by windzilla View Post
    oh yes, I totally should have said


    Congratulations!
    Thank you
  13. #13  
    congrats... I'll like to have that luck, but sadly for the latins is too hard to get good jobs, promotions or raisings of money... FML!!!! But happy for you !
  14.    #14  
    Good advice, from you guys.
    As always, i appreciate it.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    I am the only person to get a raise at this job since i began here two years ago.
    Hope none of your coworkers read this forum.

    Congrats!
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by SISGO View Post
    congrats... I'll like to have that luck, but sadly for the latins is too hard to get good jobs, promotions or raisings of money... FML!!!! But happy for you !
    Thanx, Sisgo- But don't lean on that latin crutch too heavily. If you have it in your head that you'll never accomplish anything because of that, then why even wake up in the morning?
    I know many Latino people that are high up on the ladder. Even my ex-fiance.
    Don't use it to belittle yourself before the outside world does. Then you just give them a reason.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    Hope none of your coworkers read this forum.

    Congrats!
    Haha! No, they don't.
    Thank you!
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    Thanx, Sisgo- But don't lean on that latin crutch too heavily. If you have it in your head that you'll never accomplish anything because of that, then why even wake up in the morning?
    I know many Latino people that are high up on the ladder. Even my ex-fiance.
    Don't use it to belittle yourself before the outside world does. Then you just give them a reason.
    maybe you right , but like I said when you latin is pretty hard to open doors and progress , maybe racism, maybe descrimination , language or experience.
    there too much facts that make a person like me to have all the doors closed!
  19. #19  
    I'm glad to see such a positive topic, because with that wording I was expecting a topic about being layed off

    Haha, in any case, Congratulations! I also just was promoted with a raise a few months ago, and faced the same question

    The way I see it, there are two conditions:

    Case 1:
    I was doing extra and working above my job function prior to the raise.
    Because of my hard work, I received a promotion.
    Now, I need to continue working hard, and even above my new level.
    Doing so will subsequently prepare me for my next promotion (or at least my next positive review)

    Case 2:
    I was doing what was perceived as extra work, but in reality was just excelling within my current job function.
    Recognizing my hard work, I was given an opportunity to try working at the next level.
    Now, I need to continue working hard and at a level perceived as "extra".
    Doing so will allow me to meet expectations and ensure I still have a job.


    So yeah, I'm still working hard (between checking PreCentral, of course).
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by SISGO View Post
    maybe you right , but like I said when you latin is pretty hard to open doors and progress , maybe racism, maybe descrimination , language or experience.
    there too much facts that make a person like me to have all the doors closed!
    dbd is right. I'm first generation Hispanic and have been discriminated against more because of my age than my ethnicity (I'm the youngest person in my engineering firm). A couple of people have mistaken me for a technician rather than an engineering manager, but that's quickly corrected.

    Now racism in public is a different story... I have walked into some higher-class establishments in NE Ohio and gotten some funny looks, but I'm sure that's just because of my "healthy tan"
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions