Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Yes. I'm married.
    I've been married for several years myself...

... and I'll be watching this thread carefully for any information.
    Follow me on teh Twitterz
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Spader View Post
    I've been married for several years myself...

... and I'll be watching this thread carefully for any information.
    Me too, lol.
    You might as well give it up. I am a woman and I still can't figure it out.

My partner and I have been together 10 years and I've long since given up trying.
    I think only a woman can begin to explain that.
    Sony Clie --> Tungsten t2 --> iPhone3g --> Palm Pre --> Droid
    I've been married for 12 wonderful years....20 in total.

I, like men since the beginning of time, have no idea how the female mind works, but am fascinated by it.
    A woman thinks much like men, only with different priorities. Even when you understand those priorities, I find myself not understanding how I married such a different person (than myself mentally)!

There was this video on youtube that I saw and liked. It contrasts the differences between men and women!
    You would have to fill us in
    a bit more on something
    specific.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mom2Ninjas View Post
    You would have to fill us in
    a bit more on something
    specific.
    Ok.
    How come us guys are always "damned if we do and damned if we don't"?
    It really can be ANY situation.
    Well, my wife and I are newly weds, and we were trying to address our differences in communication and decision-making. I am not a talker. Talking is a tool to get things done. For her, its a tool to bond. Its the same as me, but with a different (maybe more focused) priority than mine to solve an issue. Decision-making is also a big difference we have. I have been used to making decisions as quickly as possible (played basketball through college, ran my mother's janitorial business when she was hospitalized when I was 15) and she has been sheltered most of her life. I want 4 trees cut down and she has taken over 24hrs (and counting) to decide if we should part with the money, even though we have run the budget twice. Her priority is financial security, and mine is physical security (the pine trees are dead from pine beetles).

Maybe this is just my issue with women, but their priorities are different....way different.
    During a conflict resolution session, the instructor discussed that men engage in "report talk" (to inform or solve a problem), while women engage in "rapport talk" (to build relationships). The big mistake men make, when women talk about issues & problems, is to suggest solutions. Women frequently don't talk about issues or problems because they want the man to solve them, but rather because they want the man to understand.

It's hard to do, because we're hard-wired to be problem-solvers, but try just listen & show empathy & I bet it'll lead to more positive conversations.
    Is there an app for that?
    [PATCH REQUEST] 'Woman Speak' To English Translation Service In Universal Search

hahaha
    Follow me on teh Twitterz
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    Can anybody explain to me how women think?
    I don't have a good joke, so how about a real answer: Women don't think, so much as they feel. I was married for twenty years. Was. I'm sad that it ended, and one of the lessons I learned which may apply to you is that your female partner isn't interested in, or impressed by, your decision-making capabilities. When a problem surfaces, our instinctive reaction is to throw solutions at it. There is a problem, and it needs to be solved, right? Wrong. She wants you to understand how she feels about the situation, and she'd like her feelings validated. Go ahead and laugh. Hey, I'm no new-age, touchy-feely guru. I'm 50 years old, and a pure product of the 70s. I ride a motorcycle, I enjoy Nascar, and a good night for me is hanging out with my buddies playing cards and listening to Little Feat. As much as I detest pop-psych, self-help franchises, you would do well to read Men Are From Mars, Women Are From Venus. The whole book could be summarized in twelve bullet points, but there's actually some useful info in it. I had to have my arm twisted to read it, but I was glad I did.

Good luck, brother.
    I would offer that a lot of women don't "think," they "feel." I believe that's one of the first steps to effective communication.

edit: what he said ^
    I have to say, I expected a lot of jokes on this thread, but there has actually been some interesting advice. I am going to think hard about the feelings versus solutions thing next time the wife and I are talking. I think there may be something to it.
    Make a compromise with her.
    Explain the extra costs of
    repairing the house if the trees
    hit the house so cut down the two most
    threatening trees now, and
    the other two in a month or 2.

That way the expense is split
    in half for her and you look
    like a good guy for taking
    her worry bout spending the
    money into consideration.

Get quotes on having the
    trees removed. Get a 2 tree
    quote and a 4 tree quote.

Come back later in the day
    with your two quotes. You
    will more than likely save
    more money doing it all at
    once. She will like that.
    Last edited by Mom2Ninjas; 02/18/2010 at 10:08 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    Yes. I'm married.
    At least you aren't in your mid-30's and DATING. You've got it easy, buddy.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by knobbysideup View Post
    At least you aren't in your mid-30's and DATING. You've got it easy, buddy.
    No no no, buddyboy. I just turned 40 and have been married for almost five. There is nothing NOTHING NOTHING easy about it. You're the lucky one.
    APPRECIATE all that time you have to yourself. You will NEVER get it back again. NEVER!
    Last edited by dbdoinit; 02/18/2010 at 10:53 AM.
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by nyquistJack View Post
    I have to say, I expected a lot of jokes on this thread, but there has actually been some interesting advice. I am going to think hard about the feelings versus solutions thing next time the wife and I are talking. I think there may be something to it.
    Me too, you're right.
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast