1.    #1  
    SUCKS!

So I ordered my new Alienware comp from them on Feb 1st. On Feb 12th I log into dell.com to check my status and it says my comp order has been cancelled. This of course made me go "***?", so I called them up to find out the problem. Anyway it turns out somehow they messed up when they charged my dell card and it needed to be fixed. So they ensured me the only change, would be a new order with a different # but the delivery date would remain the same (around the 20th of this month). So today they called me again. They messed up THE SAME THING! This time they tell me that they have to start over from scratch and my new *expected* delivery date was around the 20th...NEXT month. Needless to say I was pretty ****ed off. 1 more cancellation and im calling it quits.

I was talking to my brother and he said that he had the exact same thing happen to him. 2 cancellation's = - /.

Just wanted to rant and let off some steam.

Anyone else have a bad experience with dell?
    Dell p#ssed off a lot of people when they reneged on their Touchstone orders. Can't trust that company anymore, will not do business with them ever again.
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    I ordered a camera lens from them and used a $50 voucher. The lens ended up being on backorder for several weeks. They then canceled my order since they had no expected ship date. I asked for my $50 voucher back and they said "no...you can only use that once." Yes, I made all the logical arguments and finally said "SO LONG."

This was 5 years ago and haven't purchased anything but 1 monitor since. I used to do business with them every other month.
    It sounds like you guys have formed your opinions after having bought maybe one or two things from Dell.

I'm responsible for buying information technology stuff for a 100+ person organization.

Dell gets more of our money than anyone else.

Their laptops and desktops are solid, unfancy, very customizable, and competitively priced.

Dell has a salesman assigned to me (whose cell I call) who will work as my advocate to get me the best deals/prices possible.

Their tech support is 24/7 -- and at the senior level, many are american.

Dell often ships to me overnight, for free.

In the rare occasion when we need on site warranty support, they come the next day and resolve the problem.

Contrast this with HP -- who are an abomination -- we will not purchase any HP product no matter the cost.

HP's tech support is a joke -- uninformed, and untrained in anything but misstating the date when your warranty expires, and in continually striving to persuade you that any problems are not their fault (and in any event can only be discussed with an "extended support" charge.

Whether its printers, laptops, or desktops -- HP is absolutely the WORST !!

A recent reliability survey showed the 25% of HP laptops failed during their first 3 years.

PC World had this to say about HP:

"...After watching HP turn in dismal results on our survey for the past several years, we asked what was happening. Why were our readers rating a top-tier company as subpar in reliability and support, year after year?..."
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    ive got 3 dell products, always found them to have good service apart from when the item is brought outside your country then they could not care less.(even if its under international warrenty) also as stated above they are much better then HP for repairs (even when out of warrenty)
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE View Post
    It sounds like you guys have formed your opinions after having bought maybe one or two things from Dell.

I'm responsible for buying information technology stuff for a 100+ person organization.

Their laptops and desktops are solid, unfancy, very customizable, and competitively priced.

Dell has a salesman assigned to me (whose cell I call) who will work as my advocate to get me the best deals/prices possible.

In the rare occasion when we need on site warranty support, they come the next day and resolve the problem.

Contrast this with HP -- who are an abomination -- we will not purchase any HP product no matter the cost.

HP's tech support is a joke -- uninformed, and untrained in anything but misstating the date when your warranty expires, and in continually striving to persuade you that any problems are not their fault (and in any event can only be discussed with an "extended support" charge.

A recent reliability survey showed the 25% of HP laptops failed during their first 3 years.

"...After watching HP turn in dismal results on our survey for the past several years, we asked what was happening. Why were our readers rating a top-tier company as subpar in reliability and support, year after year?..."
    You can't really compare business grade systems and services with the consumer side. Totally different product line, revenue stream, internal parts, customer service, sales.... you're essentially talking about two different companies.
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    I'm chopping at the bit to get a new laptop but I keep waiting to see what tablet form factors are coming out. I'm thinking Toshiba as I've always found their systems to be some of the nicest PCs out there and then this report pushed me in Toshiba's direction as well:

My experience with Dell has been, on a letter grade scale, B-.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas View Post
    I'm chopping at the bit to get a new laptop but I keep waiting to see what tablet form factors are coming out. I'm thinking Toshiba as I've always found their systems to be some of the nicest PCs out there and then this report pushed me in Toshiba's direction as well:

My experience with Dell has been, on a letter grade scale, B-.
    Speaking of chomping, I'm assuming that these are consumer lines, and not business machines? Or is this overall? Because my experience with hp business line is vastly different than with consumer.
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    Speaking of chomping, I'm assuming that these are consumer lines, and not business machines? Or is this overall? Because my experience with hp business line is vastly different than with consumer.
    not sure, but I believe its overall.

My antipathy for HP derives from multiple interactions with various of their product lines. If anything that chart presents an overly optimistic view of an HP's product's life expectantcy.

Mark Hurd and Carly Fiorina can just shove it.

(that she is running for Senator predicated on her performance at HP before she was fired, is a joke)
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    I have bought 4 computers a camera and two HD TV's from Dell the last 7 years and never had one issue with them. Maybe I have been lucky but I don't think that is the case.
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    They sell independent warranties, so I would say mixed consumer/small biz.
    Mark Hurd and Carly Fiorina can just shove it.

(that she is running for Senator predicated on her performance at HP before she was fired, is a joke)
    +1
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts

That's great if you have a big business account. As a consumer, their front line blows. As for the quality of their product, I have no complaints. The monitors are top-notch, but I've had mixed results from their laptops.

As for HP...don't get me started. The printers I've purchased have been good, but the software and drivers are awful and DO NOT KEEP UP with the OS's. What good is having a printer that lasts forever if you don't support the software?

All my printers (and cameras) now are Canon.
    I learned to build PC's because of dell and their crap pc's. I too would order a dell and it always take longer to deliver then what they initially claim I build my own with better parts. It cost about the same and I have no warranty. But I have built 9 for family members and have had one hard drive go in 4 years. And not one other failure. I built mine 2 years ago and have up graded it recently to keep it above the curve.
    I have a credit line with them because I have a government (state) job and order from them a lot. It seems every time I order something from them (laptops, PCs, accessories, etc.) they find some way to mess up my order or billing, and when the order exceeds my statement or credit line (which it does too often lol) then it comes straight out of my check and I am sure you all know how hard it is to get money back from a company once they have taken it from you........
    Quote Originally Posted by Boggs3010 View Post
    I learned to build PC's because of dell and their crap pc's. I too would order a dell and it always take longer to deliver then what they initially claim I build my own with better parts. It cost about the same and I have no warranty. But I have built 9 for family members and have had one hard drive go in 4 years. And not one other failure. I built mine 2 years ago and have up graded it recently to keep it above the curve.
    How are your custom built laptops?