Page 78 of 89 FirstFirst ... 2868737475767778798081828388 ... LastLast
Results 1,541 to 1,560 of 1780
  1. #1541  
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    Sorry, I missed something. Possibly because this thread has been dormant for a while?

    Which "method used to dismiss the Existence of God"?

    And regardless, we pretty much end up at the same place, right? That is, "faith"?
    No, you didn't miss a thing.
    Yes, "Faith".
    We weren't there when 'it' all began.
  2. groovy's Avatar
    Posts
    941 Posts
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    #1542  
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    Time, like god(s), is a human construct. It is 'relative' to the observer. And yes, even if there isn't a woman to hear it, the man is still wrong.
    Actually, time is not a human construct. How we measure it is a human construct built largely around natural cycles but time just is and it moves on regardless of how we measure it.
  3. #1543  
    Quote Originally Posted by groovy View Post
    Actually, time is not a human construct. How we measure it is a human construct built largely around natural cycles but time just is and it moves on regardless of how we measure it.
    Newsflash: Time May Not Exist | Einstein | DISCOVER Magazine
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
  4. Micael's Avatar
    Posts
    736 Posts
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    #1544  
    Quote Originally Posted by groovy View Post
    Actually, time is not a human construct. How we measure it is a human construct built largely around natural cycles but time just is and it moves on regardless of how we measure it.
    Is Time an Illusion?
    By Leonardo VintiŮi
    Epoch Times Staff


    "Time is a moving image of eternity." ~Plato

    We tend to believe that destiny is not fixed and that all time past fades into oblivion, but can the movement be a mere illusion? A renowned British physicist explains that in a special dimension, time simply doesnít exist.

    "If you try to get your hands on time, itís always slipping through your fingers," said Julian Barbour, British physicist and author of "The End of Time: The Next Revolution in Physics," in an interview with the Edge Foundation. While this poetic statement still resonates in the room, Barbour and the journalist probably do not have any connection with their own selves a second ago.

    Barbour believes that people cannot capture time because it does not exist. While this is not a new theory, it has never had the popularity that Einsteinís theory of relativity or the string theory has had.

    The concept of a timeless universe is not only irresistibly attractive to a handful of scientists, but such a model may pave the way to explain many of the paradoxes that modern physics faces in explaining the universe.

    We tend to think and perceive time to be linear in nature, the course of which inevitably flows from past to future. This is not only a personal perception of all humans, but also the context in which classical mechanics analyzes all mathematical functions within the universe. Without such a concept, ideas such as the principle of causality and our inability to be present simultaneously in two events would begin to be addressed from a completely different level.

    ~snip~

    Find the rest of the article here....
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
  5. groovy's Avatar
    Posts
    941 Posts
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    #1545  
    A nice argument for the existence of reality outside of time (e.g., one in which an eternal Being might reside). However, that's hardly the same as saying time is a human construct. Now, it may be said that time is a property of our reality but not necessarily a property of every reality. However, if I can state the obvious, our reality is real. Things change in our reality and time, in it's most basic sense, is simply change.
  6. Micael's Avatar
    Posts
    736 Posts
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    #1546  
    Our reality is real, but only individually. My reality is not yours. There is no spoon.
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
  7. groovy's Avatar
    Posts
    941 Posts
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    #1547  
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    Our reality is real, but only individually. My reality is not yours. There is no spoon.
    Perhaps you mean the perception of reality? If so, I agree. However, there is most definitely an implement that transports my Cheerios from the bowl into my pie hole.
  8. #1548  
    Wow!!! I cant believe this thread started up again!!! with kind of a new angle!
    Cool!
    I actually just heard last week the Stephen Hawkings believes time does not exist! Pretty crazy! (and im sure you all heard on his new stance of a God, a once strong scientific believer in God has completely and publicly changed his viewpoint)
    But again just another persons perception!
  9. #1549  
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    Not my insinuation, no.
    I was just thinking about this the other day watching Nova. <- great stuff.
    What was the first something - what got things rolling?
    We're still left with 'believing'

    If 'this' and 'this' and 'this' was needed to start life, how did the 'this' and 'this' and 'this' get started?

    They say the Universe is expanding. Expanding from what?

    Again, we can only back up so far and we're left with 'believing'
    Funny, I JUST read this on expanding from what!?!?

    http://www.technologyreview.com/blog/arxiv/25728/
  10. #1550  
    Quote Originally Posted by groovy View Post
    A nice argument for the existence of reality outside of time (e.g., one in which an eternal Being might reside). However, that's hardly the same as saying time is a human construct.
    No, it's exactly the same thing. What time is it right now? Regardless of whether there is an 'eternal being', time is a human construct. We are only measuring motion of springs or at best atoms within a reference framework which we define by our perceptions. It is only by common agreement that a 'clock' means anything. If one really thinks about it, it's completely arbitrary.
    Now, it may be said that time is a property of our reality but not necessarily a property of every reality.
    Except that it cannot be a property of 'every reality' shows just how tenuous the concept of reality (especially a shared one) is.
    However, if I can state the obvious, our reality is real.
    To each of us it certainly seems that way, but even Descartes was only certain enough to speak for himself. There is no way to ultimately 'prove' it. We could all be snowflakes in some cosmic autistic's snowglobe.
    Things change in our reality and time, in it's most basic sense, is simply change.
    Except that change is without boundary in that sense. The atoms that make up man have potentially been recycled billions of times through various processes of change.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
  11. #1551  
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    We could all be snowflakes in some cosmic autistic's snowglobe.
    'In the beginning...Let us create snowflakes in our image'
  12. #1552  
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    'In the beginning...Let us create snowflakes in our image'
    And if matter cannot be created or destroyed, are we only in the image, or are we made up of 'god'? Or are we just particles in a much 'larger' being?
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
  13. #1553  
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    And if matter cannot be created or destroyed, are we only in the image, or are we made up of 'god'? Or are we just particles in a much 'larger' being?
    I swear I must be the stomach of someone then the way Ive been eating lately!!! haha
  14. groovy's Avatar
    Posts
    941 Posts
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    #1554  
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    No, it's exactly the same thing. What time is it right now? Regardless of whether there is an 'eternal being', time is a human construct. We are only measuring motion of springs or at best atoms within a reference framework which we define by our perceptions. It is only by common agreement that a 'clock' means anything. If one really thinks about it, it's completely arbitrary.
    Again, I think you're arguing for the arbitrary nature of the measurement of time. Not time itself. As in asking me what time it is. The answer is not only arbitrary to this physical universe but also to my specific time zone. But the mere fact that you asked means many things changed. Your thoughts, your finger movements across the keyboard, the movement of electricity and data across space. Those changes occurred within a space-time framework that is completely outside of either of our control.

    Except that it cannot be a property of 'every reality' shows just how tenuous the concept of reality (especially a shared one) is.
    Our shared reality is this: we're all made up of material that grows and decays. Growth and decay require change. Change requires time.

    Except that change is without boundary in that sense. The atoms that make up man have potentially been recycled billions of times through various processes of change.
    Recycled billions of what?
  15. groovy's Avatar
    Posts
    941 Posts
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    #1555  
    Quote Originally Posted by gsonspre View Post
    Wow!!! I cant believe this thread started up again!!! with kind of a new angle!
    Cool!
    I actually just heard last week the Stephen Hawkings believes time does not exist! Pretty crazy! (and im sure you all heard on his new stance of a God, a once strong scientific believer in God has completely and publicly changed his viewpoint)
    But again just another persons perception!
    I find it really interesting that at roughly the same period in his life that he can imagine a framework within which an eternal being might be a possibility, he boldly declares God is not necessary.
  16. #1556  
    Quote Originally Posted by groovy View Post
    I find it really interesting that at roughly the same period in his life that he can imagine a framework within which an eternal being might be a possibility, he boldly declares God is not necessary.
    It is very interesting. You know its hard to say if he now has a deeper understanding (perception) of things that changed his view point or if he ultimately just focused his thoughts in a new direction.
    It's kind of amazing how we chain together ideas of a biased thought to become a truth or "belief". That can all be said about any topic wether its atronomy, physics or politics! It's weird cause when you look at things that are so deeply rooted into math (which tends to be a constant) there is still room for variation.
  17. Micael's Avatar
    Posts
    736 Posts
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    #1557  
    There is no pie hole.
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
  18. #1558  
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    There is no pie hole.
    You knwo your quote reminded me from a quote from Thank you for Smoking (Great movie if you havent seen it yet!)
    "If you can prove someone is wrong, you will always be right" (regardless of what your argument is)
    Oh and keep your pie hole to yourself! hahaha JK ltm ltm ltm
  19. #1559  
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    There is no pie hole.
    Just give it time... there will be.
  20. Micael's Avatar
    Posts
    736 Posts
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    #1560  
    Quote Originally Posted by gsonspre View Post
    You knwo your quote reminded me from a quote from Thank you for Smoking (Great movie if you havent seen it yet!)
    "If you can prove someone is wrong, you will always be right" (regardless of what your argument is)
    Oh and keep your pie hole to yourself! hahaha JK ltm ltm ltm
    I had an argument? lol
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.

Posting Permissions