Page 77 of 89 FirstFirst ... 2767727374757677787980818287 ... LastLast
Results 1,521 to 1,540 of 1780
    Thank you, sketch42™.
    That's an interesting way to look at it.

Sorry it took all this time to notice your post.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Just curious how people feel about the recent debate in the media surrounding the governments terminology regarding religion and worship, and it's implications. Heres an excerpt that I found on a Christian blog that will help set up the discussion:

Is There a Difference Between ‘Freedom of Worship’ and ‘Freedom of Religion’?

“Freedom of worship” has recently replaced the phrase “freedom of religion” in public pronouncements from the Obama administration. Experts are concerned that the new rhetoric may signal a policy change. Freedom of worship means the right to pray within the confines of a place of worship or to privately believe, said Nina Shea, director of the Center for Religious Freedom and member of the commission. “It excludes the right to raise your children in your faith; the right to have religious literature; the right to meet with co-religionists; the right to raise funds; the right to appoint or elect your religious leaders, and to carry out charitable activities, to evangelize, [and] to have religious education or seminary training.” The State Department does acknowledge that worship is just one component of religion, said spokesperson Andy Laine. “However, the terms ‘freedom of religion’ and ‘freedom of worship’ have often been used interchangeably through U.S. history, and policymakers in this administration will sometimes do likewise.”
    Do you find it disturbing that our government apparently uses one term interchangeably with the other? Words do have specific meanings and possible consequences. Choose your answers carefully....
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Well, I for one, don't really see much difference in "worship" and "religion".

They are both "beliefs" (or a way of believing something). That definition up there ^ was just one person's interpretation of the difference.

I find it more amazing that gov't is so interwined with religion and/or worship in the first place. Why is God all over our currency. What does one have to do with the other?
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    I do find it a bit disturbing yes. By changing those words around I feel as if I've lost the fundamental right of freedom of choice of how I want to live my spiritual life...

In the wise words of The Dude "Not cool man..."
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    Well, I for one, don't really see much difference in "worship" and "religion".

They are both "beliefs" (or a way of believing something). That definition up there ^ was just one person's interpretation of the difference.

I find it more amazing that gov't is so interwined with religion and/or worship in the first place. Why is God all over our currency. What does one have to do with the other?
    There's a huge difference, dbd. Worship is just the single act between you and your God. Religion is all of the rest that goes along with worshipping.
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    There's a huge difference, dbd. Worship is just the single act between you and your God. Religion is all of the rest that goes along with worshipping.
    Hmm... I'll have to ponder this...
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    Thank you, sketch42™.
    That's an interesting way to look at it.

Sorry it took all this time to notice your post.
    heres a link to the book btw.. its a short read
    If Your Were God
    What was there before nothing.
    I mean before anything.
    If we go back to before anything was anything, then what was before that.
    Just call me Berd.
    An infinite paradox, maybe?

I for one am an atheist.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    So what came first?
    What was the first something/anything?
    Just call me Berd.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    I mean before anything.
    According to M-theory, there never was a 'time' before nothing, but continuous cycles of "big-bangs".
    I mean before anything.
    I've asked my wife that before.
    She's a Jehovah Witness.

Her answer was that "God was never not there. He's timeless."

Just sayin what she told me.
    So there was never a time before time.

I guess when we try to wrap our heads around the existence of God, ones will ask how he started, like what was before God?
    But the same issue arises when at one time there was nothing - or was there?
    What about before then? what started the 'Big-Bangs'?

Either route takes us back to a time before comprehension.
    Just call me Berd.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Either route takes us back to a time before comprehension.
    ...and this is supposed to lead to a realization that there is a single omnipotent entity?
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    ...and this is supposed to lead to a realization that there is a single omnipotent entity?
    Not my insinuation, no.
    I was just thinking about this the other day watching Nova. <- great stuff.
    What was the first something - what got things rolling?
    We're still left with 'believing'

If 'this' and 'this' and 'this' was needed to start life, how did the 'this' and 'this' and 'this' get started?

They say the Universe is expanding. Expanding from what?

Again, we can only back up so far and we're left with 'believing'
    Just call me Berd.
    Time, like god(s), is a human construct. It is 'relative' to the observer. And yes, even if there isn't a woman to hear it, the man is still wrong.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Not my insinuation, no.
    I was just thinking about this the other day watching Nova. <- great stuff.
    What was the first something - what got things rolling?
    We're still left with 'believing'

If 'this' and 'this' and 'this' was needed to start life, how did the 'this' and 'this' and 'this' get started?

They say the Universe is expanding. Expanding from what?

Again, we can only back up so far and we're left with 'believing'
    Ahh. You're being rhetorical then. Gotcha.
    Big Bang Theory - if a scientific theory is also the title to a TV sitcom, can it really be taken seriously? =P

(no thread hijacking by BBT fanboyz!)
    I see pandas.
    I was more or less trying to reconcile the method used to dismiss the Existence of God. Fine, people are welcome to believe what they want, but how does one argue their's is true?
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    I was more or less trying to reconcile the method used to dismiss the Existence of God. Fine, people are welcome to believe what they want, but how does one argue their's is true?
    Sorry, I missed something. Possibly because this thread has been dormant for a while?

Which "method used to dismiss the Existence of God"?

And regardless, we pretty much end up at the same place, right? That is, "faith"?