Page 6 of 89 FirstFirst 12345678910111656 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by redninja View Post
    actually I think I read only 6% of scientists are christian.
    And from the realm of the unsubstantiated statistics category comes this gem.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
  2. KAM1138
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    That happens whether one believes in God or not. I don't agree that just because someone doesn't believe in God, that they are then blind to feelings, rights, love, caring for others, the unborn child, etc. etc. It does not necessarily follow that if you don't believe in God, you're then void of any principles, values, scruples, and just massively wracked with apathy.
    I didn't claim that was the case.

KAM
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Russell's teapot - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If I were to suggest that between the Earth and Mars there is a china teapot revolving about the sun in an elliptical orbit, nobody would be able to disprove my assertion provided I were careful to add that the teapot is too small to be revealed even by our most powerful telescopes. But if I were to go on to say that, since my assertion cannot be disproved, it is an intolerable presumption on the part of human reason to doubt it, I should rightly be thought to be talking nonsense. If, however, the existence of such a teapot were affirmed in ancient books, taught as the sacred truth every Sunday, and instilled into the minds of children at school, hesitation to believe in its existence would become a mark of eccentricity and entitle the doubter to the attentions of the psychiatrist in an enlightened age or of the Inquisitor in an earlier time.

4. KAM1138
    That sounds like a creationist's perspective. That's one view, and certainly one that many hold. But it's not the only way to view science.
    Nor did I say it was the only way to view it--I was merely restating what it seemed PogyyPetey was saying.

KAM
    Quote Originally Posted by thedonk13 View Post

Fact, Jesus Christ did walk this earth. Fact, Jesus Christ was crucified, only to not be in his grave 3 days later even when Roman guards watched over his grave site.
    The fact that it's in the Bible tells that story doesn't actually make it a fact. The only evidence of Jesus' crucifixion and rising is in the Bible itself.

Another fun fact that proves the Bible is God's word and His word is true would be the age limit on humans. After the great flood, God stated no man will live past 120 years. No record of any man or woman to live past 120 exists to this date, no matter how healthy or how much science has helped.
    Isn't it possible that this statement, attributed to God, was written by men, in response to the fact that people had a certain lifespan? By the way, Jeanne Calment was confirmed to have lived to 122 years old.

Something so powerful has survived many wars and 1000's of years of debate through pure faith alone. Yet, atheist demand that we ignore what we know true ourselves and accept that we are nothing but walking sacks of meat.
    Many religions have survived as much time - do you believe that Judaism or Islam is equally true as Christianity?
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rjwerth View Post
    Interesting. So, are you saying that simply because you do not believe you have a soul, you don't? I believe you have a soul.
    Existance of a soul does not prove the existance of God, as you define 'him'.
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
  7. KAM1138
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    Why do so many people (including my wife) think that just because one does not believe in an almighty God, that person must not feel strongly about or believe in anything?
    Just NOT believing in God is a strong belief, in and of itself.
    I don't believe I said that non-religious people don't believe in anything. In fact, I agree that not believing in God is very much a strong belief--very much akin to a Religious belief. I'd also say that non-religious people often find something else to effectively "worship" which may be a manifestation of humanities natural tendency to exercise this innate sense. Of course that's just musing on my part. To reiterate--I think it is natural human action to adhere to something--religious or not.

KAM
    I'm in complete agreement with you...I find that most unusual.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KAM1138 View Post
    I didn't claim that was the case.

KAM
    It's a general argument that I'm disagreeing with. Didn't say you'd claimed it.
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
  10. KAM1138
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    Of course what you do matters, you are accountable to yourself, the people around you, the members of your family and community. Is this not enough of a reason to act responsibly? If not, we have a legal system to deal with you. Getting **** banged by the leader of a jail gang sounds like a consequence to me.
    Perhaps you missed the part where I said "long term." Perhaps I wasn't clear. I was intending to couch that in ultimate accountability for one's life as a whole, but I can see how I might have not been clear about my overall point. I trust this provides the needed clarification.

KAM
  11. KAM1138
    It's a general argument that I'm disagreeing with. Didn't say you'd claimed it.
    I'm a bit confused...you are disagreeing with a general argument of something I didn't claim?

KAM
  12. KAM1138
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post
    I seem to Recall this same claim of 6% being applied to Republicans as well.

KAM
    No, I caught that. Long term or short term you are still accountable to those around you for your actions.

Are you insinuating that a person who does not believe in a heaven/hell afterlife model has no reason to consider how their actions effect others even in the last moments of their life?

Perhaps you missed the part where I said "long term." Perhaps I wasn't clear. I was intending to couch that in ultimate accountability for one's life as a whole, but I can see how I might have not been clear about my overall point. I trust this provides the needed clarification.
    KAM
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    I'm a bit confused...you are disagreeing with a general argument of something I didn't claim?

KAM
    It was a general argument that I was disagreeing with. I did not say that you'd claimed it.

I was merely stating an opinion. If you thought, based on my poor writing skills, that I meant that you held a particular view that I was opposing, then it was my mistake for not being clear. Clear now?
  15. KAM1138
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    No, I caught that. Long term or short term you are still accountable to those around you for your actions.

Are you insinuating that a person who does not believe in a heaven/hell afterlife model has no reason to consider how their actions effect others even in the last moments of their life?
    No, I'm saying that ultimately it doesn't matter. Short term, the situation is obviously different, or even long term in their own lives. Basically--there is one level that people who do not believe in the afterlife do not need to consider--in fact, that they refuse to consider, because they believe it does not exist.

However, one need not necessarily believe in the Abrahamic concept of the Afterlife.

KAM
  16. KAM1138
    It was a general argument that I was disagreeing with. I did not say that you'd claimed it.

I was merely stating an opinion. If you thought, based on my poor writing skills, that I meant that you held a particular view that I was opposing, then it was my mistake for not being clear. Clear now?
    I think so, thanks for the clarification.

KAM
    what about frisbeetarianism? Hmm?

sorry bout that. i just found a george carlin mp3 on my pc.
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    I have seen a few posts on here about Morality issues. My main questions fopr those that are not belivers would be where do we get morality from if not from the teachings of the Bible. If we came from specs of dust what gave us the ability to know good from evil. Where do we define this. I can go one step further and say that if you believe that it is inherant then one persons belief of evil can differ from another. And then where would we be.
    I think we can all agree that there are things that are good and evil but without something to base this on where do we get it from. It can't come from a written document and learned. I think we all know what is good and bad from an early age and this is not something taught. It may be adjusted as you get older but the essential things are just known. I have trouble beleiving that even if we evolved into such complex beings that this is something that can not be evolved it is just known. And if this is the fact there must be a God to instill that within us.
    just know this when its all finnally over and the dust has settled and your kneeling at the feet of Jesus in the judgment. Each and every one of us will confess him as Lord and savior . The only difference is some will go one place and some to another. Make no mistake regardless of what you believe right now you will stand before him in judgment. Doesn't matter if you believe or not . There is really nothing more to discuss . You can't convince people that one God (the father of Jesus) excists . All we can do is pray he opens your eyes one day to the understanding and wisdom of his word.
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post
    The Nat'l Academy of Science surveys indeed indicate that roughly 7% of scientists are believers. From Nature:

http://www.stephenjaygould.org/ctrl/news/file002.html