Page 12 of 89 FirstFirst ... 278910111213141516172262 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    I never had any to start with :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    And the believing crowd looks down on the athiests.
    What else is new.
    I'm sorry you think that way Danny but I am christian and I don't look down on anyone . Well unless they are shorter than me , and then I can't help it !! Ha !
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof View Post
    Whew good thing for you those laws don't have any religious background.
    I'm curious. How did Native Americans figure out right from wrong? They did not have a "bible" and all of their spiritual beliefs came from the earth and animals? How do tribes in the rainforests and in the African plains know from right and wrong? Is all of your faith wrapped up in god so you have no faith in man to figure out right and wrong on his own?
    "Brace yourself, you beautiful *****. I am about to **** you up with some truth!" - Kenny Powers

"I don't mind paying taxes. With taxes, I purchase civilization."
    - H.L. Mencken
    Quote Originally Posted by babydaddy75 View Post
    Yet he said it so much more artfully.....somebody please post it for me. It's my favorite quote ever.
    We are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity has ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further. -Richard Dawkins
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    Quote Originally Posted by Xerlot View Post
    However I do believe in the sactity of marrage. I beleive as it is written to be a bond between man and woman. With that said equal rights should be given to them in the governmental form. So that is why I support civil unions. If all the homosexual community wanted is equal rights no one should have a problem with a different name with the same effect.
    This has been discussed to death on these forums, but basically: separate but equal isn't equal.

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
  6.    #226  
    It very convenient for you that God hasn't shown himself to me yet because he hasn't had the need.
    You are misunderstanding my belief. My belief is that God needs none of us, but he created us in order that we know Him and love Him. I was more saying that this God has a reason for not showing Himself to you. I do not know what this reason is. In esscence, my answer is exactly the one you (I think it was you who) predicted at the beginning of the thread.

Something tells me that if he had ever "shown himself" to anyone I ever knew they would have told me about a guy as big as a house dropping by for coffee.
    I'm about as big as a house. Mind if I stop up and have some coffee?

Honestly, I'm not sure why your convinced God's coming would have to be so big. It sounds a bit like what J e w s expect the coming of the Messiah will be. I'm not picking on you, I just would like to understand where your views might come from. If the answer is something like: "I've looked and I never found Him, I remain unconvinced." then I understand. If they come from some writing or source, that would be something more for me to learn.

Says who? You? The bible? Your Rabi? The Internet?
    The Bible and the teachings of the Roman Catholic Church.

That said...props for sticking to your convictions.
    I guess I'm always on the lookout for understanding things that can "explain the unexplainable". Maybe it's a fruitless exercise, but I guess that's just what my DNA tells me to do!

peace!
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenanator View Post
    I'm curious. How did Native Americans figure out right from wrong? They did not have a "bible" and all of their spiritual beliefs came from the earth and animals? How do tribes in the rainforests and in the African plains know from right and wrong? Is all of your faith wrapped up in god so you have no faith in man to figure out right and wrong on his own?
    because one true God put a sense of morality in all of us when we were born.
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Based on all stated goals of the missions located in the part of Aorth America I grew up in, all native peoples were savages that required saving. Until they were saved it was an eternity in hell for them. Good thing the lord and savior of all mankind guided us to build missions where the white man could abuse and torture them until they found God.

If an intelligent energy is in charge of the universe, made man and cares about what we do, that would have been 1 of the 1 million times to step in and make a difference.
    Based on all stated goals of the missions located in the part of Aorth America I grew up in, all native peoples were savages that required saving. Until they were saved it was an eternity in hell for them. Good thing the lord and savior of all mankind guided us to build missions where the white man could abuse and torture them until they found God.
    Ah yes. We gave them Jesus and in return, we took their land. Fair trade...
    "Brace yourself, you beautiful *****. I am about to **** you up with some truth!" - Kenny Powers

- H.L. Mencken
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    because one true God put a sense of morality in all of us when we were born.
    Where did your one true god come from?

- H.L. Mencken
    Quote Originally Posted by sudoer View Post
    Honestly, I'm not sure why your convinced God's coming would have to be so big.
    Well I sure as hell would expect the creator of the entire universe to have a bigger entrance than say, the President of the USA or perhaps the Olympic Games.

Have you seen the shows that the North Korean's put on for their supreme and all knowing leader? Bigger than that....after all this god is worshiped by over half the planet.
    Ah yes. We gave them Jesus and in return, we took their land. Fair trade...
    Well, that's not fair. We also gave them smallpox, bubonic plague, chickenpox and measles.

13.    #233  
    Quote Originally Posted by Xerlot View Post
    [Just ]because it was brought up and then the first immature name calling started because of this (10 pgs not bad for the first name calling). Homosexuality is a hot topic. In my God/Bible based beliefs it is a sin. Do I agree with it NO, do I condone it NO do I believe that they should [receive] the same love from me that the Bible speaks of YES. Who am I in my [sinful] nature to judge others. However I do believe in the [sanctity] of [marriage]. I [believe] as it is written to be a bond between man and woman. With that said equal rights should be given to them in the governmental form. So that is why I support civil unions. If all the homosexual community wanted is equal rights no one should have a problem with a different name with the same effect.
    I feel pretty much the same way. I view Marriage as specifically when a couple joins in a bond for the purpose of creating and raising new life. Not all marriages meet this ideal. In a democracy, it's really not about what I think but instead what we collectively think and the laws our representatives pass.

Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    This has been discussed to death on these forums, but basically: separate but equal isn't equal.
    Good call, let's not go down this rat-hole again if we can avoid it.
    Now I will admit that every ounce of logic in my mind says that to believe in a man in the cloud who grants wishes and throws tantrums when we don't listen is preposterous by my standards. HOWEVER, anything that can help people cope and find faith in oneself is okay by me. I find discussions (arguments, wars, whatever context you wish to think of it from) about this stem from either someone pushing their beliefs on another. Let ignorance be bliss for some, but not at the expense of forcing anything on others.
  15.    #235  
    Where did your one true god come from?
    That's one of the questions I hoped someone would ask. My creed says he always was. For me, this provides one possible explanation for "what comes before (and after) infinity". Science has not been able to answer those questions so I rely on philosophy, logic, and theology. I'm still looking for better possible explanations which is why I started this thread.
  16.    #236  
    Hello Bujin,
    I had been meaning to go back to your comments about two of the Twenty Arguments For The Existence Of God listed on Peter Kreeft's web page. You mentioned that you feel two of the twenty arguments are flawed. Are you implying that the other eighteen arguments are not flawed? Just curious (and trying to catch up to your thinking). -- Thanks
    Assuming everything that's said about God, his intentions, his wants etc are in fact real , I can't help but think he created us for his amusement. I mean, first we were created imperfect and given free will, however we are then judged and punished accordingly depending on the choices we make. But.....he loves us and wants all of us to only worship, love and believe in him DESPITE our imperfections?? Ok so........... why not make us perfect to begin with? Perfect slaves only to serve him. Wouldn't that solve the problem? In pondering this the only conclusions I can reach is he's bored and enjoys creating imperfect beings to mess around with or he's not as loving as we thought.
    Sony Clie --> Tungsten t2 --> iPhone3g --> Palm Pre --> Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by sudoer View Post
    Hello Bujin,
    I had been meaning to go back to your comments about two of the Twenty Arguments For The Existence Of God listed on Peter Kreeft's web page. You mentioned that you feel two of the twenty arguments are flawed. Are you implying that the other eighteen arguments are not flawed? Just curious (and trying to catch up to your thinking). -- Thanks
    Honestly, they all seemed to follow the same pattern.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    I'm sorry you think that way Danny but I am christian and I don't look down on anyone . Well unless they are shorter than me , and then I can't help it !! Ha !
    Lol, Shane.
    I was just speaking "in general". I didn't mean you personally.
    To tell you the truth, i've always thought that you were one of the friendliest people on this website. You never start arguments with anybody and you ALWAYS try to find a way to help people and/or lighten the mood around here when things get rough.
    You are an asset to this forum, no matter what your religious belief is.
    ---
    BTW, to everybody else:
    Shadavis08 did NOT pay me to write that.
  20.    #240  
    darreno1,
    You just asked some very insightful questions. To facilitate discussion, I'm restating them in summary form (without conclusions):
    1. Assuming a God exists, did he just create us for his amusement?
    2. If a God exists, what possible reasons would there be for us not to have been created perfectly?

I'm sure we can come up with more questions but yours should facilitate some interesting discussion. I'd recommend people trying to come up with reasons outside their own (familiar) experiences (at first / if possible).