Page 10 of 89 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314152060 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    And yet folks use the same method to pick passages in order to condemn practices with which they personally disagree (such as homosexuality). That's sort of my point.
    Well people are free to do what they want. But anatomically speaking males aren't meant to mate with males, and females with females. That's all I have to say about that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spydrbutt View Post
    Well people are free to do what they want. But anatomically speaking males aren't meant to mate with males, and females with females. That's all I have to say about that.
    What does that have to do with the existence of a god or not? Anatomically speaking same sex couples are getting in all sorts of fornication. If you don't think females should "mate" your watching the wrong p0rn.

That's all I have to say about that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    That's a blanket statement that just isn't true. In fact, many of them were deists. Thomas Jefferson, James Madison, Ethan Allen, George Washington, to name a few. This doesn't mean that they didn't attend church or read the bible, but their thinking was not exactly in line with pure Christianity, either.
    And, in fact, they held strong beliefs about the dangers of religion:

• Madison: "Religious bondage shackles and debilitates the mind and unfits it for every noble enterprise."
    • Adams: "The divinity of Jesus is made a convenient cover for absurdity. Nowhere in the Gospels do we find a precept for Creeds, Confessions, Oaths, Doctrines, and whole cartloads of other foolish trumpery that we find in Christianity."
    • Jefferson: "They [preachers] dread the advance of science as witches do the approach of daylight and scowl on the fatal harbinger announcing the subversions of the duperies on which they live."
    • Franklin: "The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason."
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
  4.    #184  
    Are you saying that denial of Christianity is a denial of the existence of God?
    You are saving my **** with every sentence I write!
    Sometimes I have problems "thinking outside of my own box"! You are correct that one can deny Christianity without denying the existence of God. Such a view might even be correct and my personal faith could be wrong.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Does Jesus say this? Because I believe he was notably silent on the issue...strange considering it seems to be such an important one in the church. Also, doesn't Christianity have very specific prohibitions about judging others lest ye be judged?

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Xerlot View Post
    And where did these laws come from? Our forefathers were Bible believers
    I invite you, and others who seem confused on what our forefathers believed, to read the following article. It was written a few years back:

Of the Religion of Deism Compared with the Christian Religion
    By Thomas Paine, American Revolutionary Leader

It's not a long read.... maybe 10 minutes. Go ahead, open up your mind.

BTW, the list 'forefathers' who were deists is quite long. I think most would agree that they were some of the best minds of their day. Read it with an open mind, please.
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Adams.....and whole cartloads of other foolish trumpery....."
    Damn those dudes could write...love it!
  8. KAM1138
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    The universe has always existed and always will. It nether has an end or a beginning. This is what I took away from q-physics anyway.

I subscribe to the Big Bang as to the current state of the universe until our data says something different.
    This might be of interest to you:
    American Chronicle | How a Catholic priest gave us the Big Bang Theory

KAM
  9. KAM1138
    I have never been unsure about the nonexistence of God.
    NEVER been unsure? Never even thought it might be possible for God to exist? That's interesting. I'll have to think about what that says about your mindset.

I believe in God, but I can't say that I've NEVER had doubts. As a thinking person, it seems natural to me that someone would have doubts about something that lacks positive or negative proof.

Never had any uncertainty about such an unworldly concept. I gotta say I find that hard to believe that you've NEVER entertained the thought for even a second.

KAM
    Does Jesus say this? Because I believe he was notably silent on the issue...strange considering it seems to be such an important one in the church. Also, doesn't Christianity have very specific prohibitions about judging others lest ye be judged?
    I just saying by the anatomical design differences between males and females, it's obvious to me which gender is supposed to mate with which gender. Is it not obvious too you?
    I invite you, and others who seem confused on what our forefathers believed, to read the following article. It was written a few years back:

Of the Religion of Deism Compared with the Christian Religion
    By Thomas Paine, American Revolutionary Leader

It's not a long read.... maybe 10 minutes. Go ahead, open up your mind.

BTW, the list 'forefathers' who were deists is quite long. I think most would agree that they were some of the best minds of their day. Read it with an open mind, please.
    Interesting read - it doesn't really address evidence of God's existence, but perhaps if I had been raised with a Deist approach, I wouldn't have rejected religion so bitterly.

12. KAM1138
    It's applicable. The dozens and dozens of differences between various religions view on who or what god is and what he/it has to say paints a picture for his/it's complete dismissal.
    I've got a question for you. Given that people have free will, why do you find it surprising (if indeed you do) that people have different views of God or Religion? Doesn't that speak to the nature of the people, rather than the presumed Nature of God that each holds?

Isn't it an easy concept to accept that humanities understanding of something isn't perfect?

KAM
    I just saying by the anatomical design differences between males and females, it's obvious to me which gender is supposed to mate with which gender. Is it not obvious too you?
    OK, but that statement was in response to folks using Bible passages to condemn the morality of homosexuality. Are you saying you don't think it's immoral, or that it's prohibited by the Bible? Or just that you personally believe it's unnatural?

OK, but that statement was in response to folks using Bible passages to condemn the morality of homosexuality. Are you saying you don't think it's immoral, or that it's prohibited by the Bible? Or just that you personally believe it's unnatural?
    All of the above.
    Quote Originally Posted by KAM1138 View Post
    NEVER been unsure? Never even thought it might be possible for God to exist?
    Not yet. I was raised in what would be best described as an agnostic household in rural Western Canada. There was plenty of believers around but it was customary to leave your religious view at the church and out of politics. Therefor I wasn't exposed to any religious doctrine until I was an adult.

What happens when you die is pretty clear if you have ever been to a funeral....rot sets in.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Interesting read - it doesn't really address evidence of God's existence, but perhaps if I had been raised with a Deist approach, I wouldn't have rejected religion so bitterly.
    Actually it does. Read closer. For the deist, evidence of the Creator is Creation itself. You, in fact, are the proof. You are, therefore the Creator is. And His gift is Reason.

I think if you read up on the concept, you'd probably realize you're more a deist than you might initially think.
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Isn't it an easy concept to accept that humanities understanding of something isn't perfect?

KAM
    Are you willing to accept that humanity's understanding is so imperfect that God doesn't exist at all, and are simply a morality tale that has passed from parent to child through the generations?

After all, isn't that how most folks would characterize Greek / Roman / Norse mythology, or every other religion that they personally don't believe in?

Paraphrasing Richard Dawkins' interesting take on atheism: Most people are atheists regarding every religion but their own; I merely take it one god further.

KAM
    Sure.....but not if there is an all knowing power directing the show. What possible reason could it have to hid the truth from us (or hide it in a collection of short stories)?
  19.    #199  
    I have never been unsure about the nonexistence of God.

But....for the sake of argument lets say next week I was proven 100% incorrect and a God made it's self known beyond any reasonable doubt. News interviews, door to door handshakes, TV adds, etc, all with the all mighty laying down his directives and wishes. I would care then (and likely have a ton of brown nosing to do).
    Your honesty is refreshing and helpful to the discussion. That's a very strong confession of faith should a God ever present you with an opportunity to believe. This reminds me of the story of the faith of the thief on the cross who came to believe Jesus was who he said he was. God is willing to give each of us the grace we need to believe should we so choose. Be mindful and open to the possibilities of this throughout your life. If there is a God which you don't know, and you can say honestly say the same thing as above on judgment day, He will understand your heart. Maybe you're lucky and this is all God will require of you, but since none of us can predict the future, I'd advise you to always be on the lookout for whether any God might want you to know more.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    All of the above.
    Okay...we have determined Spydrbutt is a raciest hater...I will report him when I get out of this airport, lets move on.