Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Just heard "Fast Car" on the radio and I was like *jaw drops*. Can't believe it was released in 1988.

Strongly recommend you sample it in iTunes/Amazon if you haven't heard it.
    I agree...it does not seem possible. Perhaps you're a young whipper snapper?

Quote Originally Posted by SqyArc View Post
    Just heard "Fast Car" on the radio and I was like *jaw drops*. Can't believe it was released in 1988.

Strongly recommend you sample it in iTunes/Amazon if you haven't heard it.
    Global Posts
    887 Global Posts
    Yeah....seriously...where WERE you in 1988 when this was being played 17 times a day on the radio...and MTV?

Next question...have you checked out "Give me one reason" by her? Another good one you might have missed living in that cardboard box!
  4.    #4  
    Well I'm 24 so I guess I was only 2 years old when she was big. But even so, don't know how I avoided her for this long!

Habious: I'm just downloading (through Amazon) her self titled album - doesn't look like "Give me one reason" is on it :/
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Tracy Chapman? My head is still spinning from .
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    From Wikipedia:
    "Fast Car" is a Grammy-winning song by the American singer-songwriter Tracy Chapman. It was released on her self-titled 1988 debut album Tracy Chapman. Her appearance on the Nelson Mandela 70th Birthday Tribute was the catalyst for the song becoming a Top 6 hit in the US, peaking at Number 5 on the Hot 100, and a top 10 hit the UK, peaking at Number 5 on the UK chart. The song was nominated for several Grammies including the Grammy for "Song Of The Year" and "Record Of The Year". The song won a Grammy for "Best Female Pop Vocal Performance" setting Chapman's career in motion.[1]

BTW, has anyone else checked out that untitled Led Zeppelin album with the old man carrying a bag of sticks on the cover? Awesome! There's this "Stairway" song that goes on for like 20 minutes!
    wow really never seen that one ????
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    heheheheheh whipper snappers,

while you're sampling that you can try:

Alison by Elvis Costello

or

Closer to Fine by the Indigo Girls

or

Luka by Suzanne Vega
    How about some Veronika love. Another great Elvis Costello tune.
    Quote Originally Posted by powerbyte View Post
    How about some Veronika love. Another great Elvis Costello tune.
    Well if we listed every great Costello song we'd be here a while.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    BTW, has anyone else checked out that untitled Led Zeppelin album with the old man carrying a bag of sticks on the cover? Awesome! There's this "Stairway" song that goes on for like 20 minutes!
    Now that's getting ancient!
    I always loved the Kim Wayans skit .
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
  12. Vij
    Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    "Fast Car" and "Luka"
    Love those songs! Ok time to go digging through my CDs...
    Suzanne Vega, Luka ---

Fast Car

wow...

Leonard Cohen (his Halijeleuh was featured in the Olympic opening)
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Global Posts
    887 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE View Post
    Suzanne Vega, Luka ---

Fast Car

wow...

Leonard Cohen (his Halijeleuh was featured in the Olympic opening)
    If you'd like to be completely and utterly blown away by a song, download Jeff Buckley's version of "Hallelujah".

Sit in a quiet, dark room and either put it on your best stereo or get out your best headphones...and just listen to his version. Do nothing else for those 7 minutes...just listen.

Powerful song...powerful rendition.

Then, when you're done listening, pull up Jeff Buckley's page on Wikipedia and read about his life (short read). Then come back and tell me your thoughts on it all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Habious View Post
    If you'd like to be completely and utterly blown away by a song, download Jeff Buckley's version of "Hallelujah".

Sit in a quiet, dark room and either put it on your best stereo or get out your best headphones...and just listen to his version. Do nothing else for those 7 minutes...just listen.

Powerful song...powerful rendition.

Then, when you're done listening, pull up Jeff Buckley's page on Wikipedia and read about his life (short read). Then come back and tell me your thoughts on it all.
    I really like his version -- I'd heard it before, at the end of some movie -- and its driving me nuts trying to remember which ...

BTW -- Leonard Cohen's performs his own music with an almost haunting kind of monotone -- piercingly.

I recommend the: "Songs of Leonard Cohen" as a start for those unfamiliar with his work.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    I really like his version -- I'd heard it before, at the end of some movie -- and its driving me nuts trying to remember which ...

BTW -- Leonard Cohen's performs his own music with an almost haunting kind of monotone -- piercingly.

I recommend the: "Songs of Leonard Cohen" as a start for those unfamiliar with his work.
    Yeah, personally I prefer Leonard's version, but the covers are nice (buckley, kd lang).
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.

Like his best....but my second favorite is Rufus Wainright's cover.

As an occasional musician, the first time I heard the beginning of that song, I thought it was the greatest verse ever written, because as he says "the fourth, the fifth, the minor fall, the major lift", those are the chords playing in time with the words. Of course that was 25 years ago...but it's still very cool.
    I think it was in the Watchmen? EDIT: never mind...that was Cohen's version.
    Last edited by Bujin; 02/18/2010 at 08:06 AM.
    Global Posts
    887 Global Posts
    It was played during the end of a West Wing episode ("Posse Comitatus")...and used VERY well. That's where I first heard it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Habious View Post
    It was played during the end of a West Wing episode ("Posse Comitatus")...and used VERY well. That's where I first heard it.
    What? You didn't notice it in "Shrek"?

Mark Harmon's death was tough on PJ.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast