Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    I believe this guy is trying to scam me but I just wanted to be sure. It seems too fishy. I am selling my samsung m800 instinct on craigslist and this was his reply after I told him he could buy it from me since I had no other offers.

Hello,

Thanks for your reply, i am happy to hear back from you, i'm
    okay with the price and condition.But i'm presently out of the
    states,i'm presently in England where i work as an Engineer, so
    i'll like to see the transaction go smoothly without my
    appearance.
    Concerning the shipment.you do not need to worry about it,
    i have a reputable shipping company that will handle the
    shipment.There is this reliable colleague of mine that resides
    in Alaska,he's owing me $1957 so i'll instruct him to send you
    a Cashier's check of that $1957 and as soon as
    you receive it, you'll have to cash it and you should deduct
    your own portion of the funds which is $125 from the payment,
    then you'll have to get the rest money sent via western union
    money transfer to the shipping company that will be coming for
    the pick up from your house and other items which they're to
    ship to my house in the states...

The reason why am sending you that much money is because if
    I send my shipping company a seperate check it would take
    about 30 working days to clear the check in uk, London while it
    takes only 2-3working days for the check to be cleared in the
    United States.
    I will be compensating you with $50 after the transaction for
    the stress you may go through,so you will have to deduct the
    total of $175 from the funds and send the remaining amount to
    my shipping company.Please note that all transfer charges will
    be deducted from the excess funds you'll be sending to the
    shipping company,not with your own personal money.So i hope
    you'll be able to help me out in doing this,if so,you'll have
    to email me the following details so that payment could be
    mailed out to you at once...
    1,Name to be written on the Check .....................
    2,Full address to send the Check to....................
    3,Your contact phone number(Home & Cell)...............
    I look forward to your quick response.
    Best Regards
    Mark Johnson.
    +44 7011131311
    N.B,
    The reason why the shippers amount is a little bit expensive
    is because they would also be shipping some goods for me from
    Japan to my house in California,so that is why i want you to help
    me in cashing the check.

Bull Crap right??? Also I have never seen this type scam. How does it work?
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    Of course it's a scam. You'll deposit a bogus check in your account, withdraw some funds and wire them away. When the bank discovers the check is bogus, they will charge your account, but you won't recover the funds you wired away.

Run Forest, Run!
    FrankenPre2!!!
    Sounds like a scam to me... most likely you will receive a counterfeit check.

I would never deal with cashiers checks or money orders where they want you to cash one for a higher amount than the transaction price and send them the rest of the money.

They are counting on you just depositing the "check" into your bank and withdrawing the money to wire to them. By the time the bank kicks it back as a bad check, you're already out the money.
    Follow me on teh Twitterz
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    What jimhuff said. If you do end up taking this deal please let me know. I have a friend of a cousin of the son of the President of Nigeria who would like to talk to you.
    you can always tell by the way they talk . Its in the presently and the he,s owing me . The way its worded is not the way we talk even though its proper English its not the way we actually use it lol
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    lmao, I was pretty sure it was a scam. Thanks Spader for telling me how that scam exactly works.
    wow something similar like this almost happened to my sister in law.... RUN!
    What they said.... Run don't walk from this it is a scam...

I work for the fraud dept. of a phone company and have seen many scams I did not even need to read your full post to tell it is a scam they send you a bogus check and if your bank does not catch it right away they will cash it for you then you get the money and make this transaction by the time the bank realizes the check you cashed is no good your already out the money and your phone.

The sad thing is there are a lot of people that are not smart enough to have the red flags go off and will actually fall for this scam and since there in another country there is nothing anyone can do about it to get your money back your just screwed lesson learned. Ive heard story's of people losing there entire life's savings to these and other various types of scams.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    If it has to do with money and email, it's a scam. Period.
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    i actually went through the same thing almost a year ago when i was selling my samsung instinct. If you want a better explaination, click for scam info on craigslist and you will see all the common scams.
    i recieved a bogus email like this too.
    The worst thing about it is if you do cash it and send the money it's considered a "gift" as you sent the money on your own free will. So, you can't even charge anyone with theft, not that you could go to whatever country he's from to charge him anyway.
    This scam is written just like most of them I have seen, and is pretty common on Craigslist. Not much to add, except that they ran a story about this on the local news recently, and they said you could even be charged with fraud for trying to cash the bad check! Don't know how likely that is, but kind of scary to think you could be a victim and still be prosecuted.
    Quote Originally Posted by jimhuff View Post
    Of course it's a scam. You'll deposit a bogus check in your account, withdraw some funds and wire them away. When the bank discovers the check is bogus, they will charge your account, but you won't recover the funds you wired away.

Run Forest, Run!
    Exactly.

From craigslist.org website

* DEAL LOCALLY WITH FOLKS YOU CAN MEET IN PERSON - follow this one simple rule and you will avoid 99% of the scam attempts on craigslist.
    * NEVER WIRE FUNDS VIA WESTERN UNION, MONEYGRAM or any other wire service - anyone who asks you to do so is a scammer.
    * FAKE CASHIER CHECKS & MONEY ORDERS ARE COMMON, and BANKS WILL CASH THEM AND THEN HOLD YOU RESPONSIBLE when the fake is discovered weeks later.
    * CRAIGSLIST IS NOT INVOLVED IN ANY TRANSACTION, and does not handle payments, guarantee transactions, provide escrow services, or offer "buyer protection" or "seller certification"
    * NEVER GIVE OUT FINANCIAL INFORMATION (bank account number, social security number, eBay/PayPal info, etc.)
    * AVOID DEALS INVOLVING SHIPPING OR ESCROW SERVICES and know that ONLY A SCAMMER WILL "GUARANTEE" YOUR TRANSACTION.
    * DEAL LOCALLY WITH FOLKS YOU CAN MEET IN PERSON - follow this one simple rule and you will avoid 99% of the scam attempts on craigslist.
    * NEVER WIRE FUNDS VIA WESTERN UNION, MONEYGRAM or any other wire service - anyone who asks you to do so is a scammer.
    * FAKE CASHIER CHECKS & MONEY ORDERS ARE COMMON, and BANKS WILL CASH THEM AND THEN HOLD YOU RESPONSIBLE when the fake is discovered weeks later.
    * CRAIGSLIST IS NOT INVOLVED IN ANY TRANSACTION, and does not handle payments, guarantee transactions, provide escrow services, or offer "buyer protection" or "seller certification"
    * NEVER GIVE OUT FINANCIAL INFORMATION (bank account number, social security number, eBay/PayPal info, etc.)
    * AVOID DEALS INVOLVING SHIPPING OR ESCROW SERVICES and know that ONLY A SCAMMER WILL "GUARANTEE" YOUR TRANSACTION.
    Now that u know its a scam....i would play with him....get him to send checks...and then make up a story that a big ice storm hit ur area and UPS truck carrying the mail crashed and burned just...keep the jig going you can in turn con him for several dollars of mail delivery money =)
    My sister fell for this scam! Luckily she was so excited and told me, right after she deposited the check. I told her it was a scam so she went to the bank explained everything and returned the money which luckily she hadn't spent or sent back.
    Quote Originally Posted by tp2386 View Post
    I believe this guy is trying to scam me...
    Being that you had to ask I fear how many other times you may have been ripped off.
    Why not play along, get authorities involved and see if you can't give them what for!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    Being that you had to ask I fear how many other times you may have been ripped off.
    Shhhhhh! I just pm'd him about being the nephew of a disposed Nigerian dictator who wants to give him $20 million....

Seriously con the con artist....need help google "419 eater" very interesting, helpful, and funny learn how people have coned the scamers its hilarious.
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    But also at the end of my post I asked how does this scam works. If i didnt think it was a scam I would have went along with it and never posted the question. Guess I should have never put am I getting scammed. And yes I have been ripped off ONCE through Ebay back in 2006. The sad thing is I was using Paypal and I still got ripped off. Trust me, Im very cautious before sending money now. Thanks to all for explaining to me on how that specific scam works.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast