Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by tp2386 View Post
    But also at the end of my post I asked how does this scam works. If i didnt think it was a scam I would have went along with it and never posted the question. Guess I should have never put am I getting scammed. And yes I have been ripped off ONCE through Ebay back in 2006. The sad thing is I was using Paypal and I still got ripped off. Trust me, Im very cautious before sending money now. Thanks to all for explaining to me on how that specific scam works.
    Yea, contrary to popular opinion Ebay is NOT protection from getting ripped off.
    Global Posts
    656 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    This scam is written just like most of them I have seen, and is pretty common on Craigslist. Not much to add, except that they ran a story about this on the local news recently, and they said you could even be charged with fraud for trying to cash the bad check! Don't know how likely that is, but kind of scary to think you could be a victim and still be prosecuted.
    I prosecuted a "victim" when he cashed multiple checks (it was a common foreign-business-needs-US-agent-to-cash-domestic-checks scam), never attempted to wire the funds to the UK, and withdrew the funds before the checks were dishonored. He thought to scam the scammers, but ended up in federal prison for bank fraud and other offenses. My point is that he was no victim. He intended to defraud the credit union of its funds. The fact that he did not produce the counterfeit checks and money orders was immaterial. A true victim (i.e., someone acting without an intent to defraud) wouldn't be prosecuted. What investigators and prosecutors are looking for is evidence that the so-called victim knew exactly what was going on and was attempting to turn it to his or her advantage.

By the way, anyone contemplating stringing a 419 or similar scammer along should exercise great care. These schemes are usually run from overseas, but occasionally co-conspirators are found in Canada or even the US -- including one guy who resided in northern California and another who resided in the Caribbean, but passed through the area in aid of a fraud scheme. Any personal information you provide might lead a near-by co-conspirator to your door. I'm not aware of that ever happening; usually foolish victims travel to meet scammers in Canada, Europe, or West Africa. But it doesn't hurt to be wary.
    Last edited by cas_esq; 02/17/2010 at 12:44 AM.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12