Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I found this interesting...

Link to full article
    Poll Reveals Most Americans Don't Know They Got a Tax Cut - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

Of all the very information that came out of the recent CBS News/New York Times poll, one question stuck out, that of taxes.

Here's the poll question: "In general, do you think the Obama Administration has increased taxes for most Americans, decreased taxes for most Americans or have they kept taxes the same for most Americans?"

The answer:
    • 24 percent of respondents said they INCREASED taxes.
    • 53 percent said they kept taxes the same
    • And 12 percent said taxes were decreased.

Of people who support the grassroots, "Tea Party" movement, only 2 percent think taxes have been decreased, 46 percent say taxes are the same, and a whopping 44 percent say they believe taxes have gone up.
    Quote Originally Posted by illskill View Post
    Yes, it's unfortunate that the most effective tax cut for the economy, a payroll reduction tax for the average American would go unnoticed. As opposed to the one time a year here's your $300 check which people put in their savings, the payroll tax reduction was intended to provide the average American with about $20 extra per bi-weekly paycheck to increase consumer spending and likely has done so.

HOWEVER, when it rolled out I checked for the increase and noticed it but polled my co-workers who had no idea, but when they checked their past payroll tax to their current there was indeed an extra $20. Although this does not provide the administration with a big flag to wave on tax reductions, it DOES serve the purpose of helping to heal the economy through increased spending.
    it's so small that no one noticed...hardly worth it
    I pay quarterly taxes so really don't notice such things. However, I do notice that my energy costs (electricity and gas) are higher so an extra $20 would quickly be gone. If "tax and trade" goes through, those costs will increase more. Thanks Obama!
    PalmPilot, PalmIIIc, Treo 650, Pre, Pre 3, Nokia 1020, Lumia 950

"It's good to be the King" - Mel Brooks, History of the World, Part 1

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." General George S. Patton
    Quote Originally Posted by hrminer92 View Post
    it's so small that no one noticed
    And that's the point. Examination of past stimulus tax rebate checks of hundreds of dollars at one time once a year resulted in people either paying off credit card debt (never a bad idea) or stuffing it into savings accounts (good idea if credit card debt is paid) but NEITHER of which results in stimulating consumer spending.

Looking in your budget at the end of the month and realizing you've got an extra $50 bucks is more likely to result in you taking the family out to Outback Steakhouse or to the movies or buy that video game.

Is it a big feather the Administration can put in their cap to run for re-election, no, it's an effective attempt to heal the economy. Of the two, I would prefer the latter.
    Quote Originally Posted by clemgrad85 View Post
    I pay quarterly taxes so really don't notice such things. However, I do notice that my energy costs (electricity and gas) are higher so an extra $20 would quickly be gone. If "tax and trade" goes through, those costs will increase more. Thanks Obama!
    Perhaps you should take advantage of the Federal Tax Credits for Consumer Energy Efficiency.

Quote Originally Posted by daThomas View Post
    Perhaps you should take advantage of the Federal Tax Credits for Consumer Energy Efficiency.

Well....when I need a new appliance I'm sure I will! Until then, I'll just have to have my $20 go to increased energy bills. So much for taking the family out for an extra dinner and/or video game and/or movie.
    PalmPilot, PalmIIIc, Treo 650, Pre, Pre 3, Nokia 1020, Lumia 950

"It's good to be the King" - Mel Brooks, History of the World, Part 1

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." General George S. Patton
    im not trying to take a side but what did bush do the last 8 years? Obama talked about change and has tried but he didn't realize how difficult it was going to be just like Cheeny opps I meant Bush. The more things change the more things seem the same. There should be term limits for every branch of government so more ideas get infused and keep up with the people. I'm a dem. But I like the idea of the tea party just not how they intend to implement them.
    Referencing the CBS article, the president said, "We cut taxes for 95 percent of working families." That's not possible because 40% of people pay no taxes. It would have been more accurate for him to say that the government handed out checks to people that paid no federal income taxes. Or, what he told Joe The Plumber he wanted to do.

Also, in the referenced article, I didn't see where the poll asked people if they knew the difference between tax "cuts" and tax "credits." Judging by the article, the writer doesn't know. The areas the president boasted about "cutting" taxes are actually tax credits, or checks handed out by the government. There is no actual reduction of the tax rate.

Utilizing tax credits also changes the "look" of GDP. By calling them "tax credits" rather than welfare payments, the federal tax burden looks smaller than it actually is.

And daThomas, the change in payroll taxes was not a "payroll reduction tax." It was a tax "credit" that was paid out little by little with IRS Withholding tables for 2010 being revised as a result. Those revised tables contain an increase in federal withholding for all income categories. They've lowered the withholding tax threshold (meaning more people will pay taxes) and upped the number of wage categories from 7 to 9 (which essentially creates 3 new tax snares directly in the middle-class earner range).

Basically, the entire article is misleading. It seems to be telling people that their taxes were cut when that's simply not true; there are targeted credits for people that meet the fed requirements. But the very process that seemingly put more money in our pockets was always meant to lead to higher taxes, particularly for the middle class.

Oh, and I saw that the proposed budget phases out my ability to deduct my state sales tax payments from my federal income taxes. Meaning: my (middle-class) taxes will go up if this budget passes.
    Last edited by semprini; 02/14/2010 at 12:47 AM.
    Regardless of how big the tax cut is, it's crazy to me how people can only see and believe what they want to. The fact that nearly half of the tea party supporters feel their taxes actually went up in the last year is ridiculous. People on both sides really need to open their eyes to reality rather than just believing what they want.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by rustytacos View Post
    im not trying to take a side but what did bush do the last 8 years? Obama talked about change and has tried but he didn't realize how difficult it was going to be just like Cheeny opps I meant Bush. The more things change the more things seem the same. There should be term limits for every branch of government so more ideas get infused and keep up with the people. I'm a dem. But I like the idea of the tea party just not how they intend to implement them.
    I feel you... I'm not a Rep. or Dem. (they tend to pick a side of an argument b4 they even hear one side out, thats ********.) I think of my self as an independent whos views tend to lean to the liberal side (not on every issue though)... I think we should have term limits for the Senate and the house.. IMO Obama is trying to do the right thing, other than the two wars Bush lead us into, I think his administration really squandered the trust of the american people and Obama has really tried to gain that trust back by rebuilding the EPA, OSHA, and the SEC and a few other agencies that are supposed to protect workers and consumers by regulating business practices. Most republican would probably argue that we need deregulation and this is hurting our economy but we've done that and it hasn't worked.. IMO I think we should really be getting rid of sarbanes oxley which makes it really difficult for private companies in this country to go public and they tend to go somewhere else where its easier. But the biggest problem I see with our government (also i feel its whats hindering what Obama is trying to do vs what his party wants to do) is the fact that both of the major parties seem to be influenced by corporate lobbies not the will of the people and that ****es me off (i think term limits can really help with this)... and lastly as far as the tea party goes, it seems to me they have been taken over by the neo cons... its not the same movement that ron paul started..

These are just my opinions, i know people get their panties in a bunch when talking about politics.

WOW I cant believe precentral blocks out thewordRETARDED...
    Quote Originally Posted by rustytacos View Post
    After the Bush tax cuts were enacted, total revenues to the Treasury increased: up 15% in 2005 and up 12% in 2006. Between 2004-2007, federal tax revenues increased by almost $780 billion, the largest 4-year increase in US history. In 2007, the deficit was about 1.5% of GDP which was below historic averages. The US economy added 8 million jobs between 2003 and 2007. According to the Treasury Department, individual and corporate income tax receipts were up 40 percent in the three years following the Bush tax cuts. - DWYER: Bush tax cuts boosted federal revenue - Washington Times

Have no doubt, Obama would LOVE to release numbers like that.

Revenues were way UP; money was POURING into the Treasury. Runaway spending wiped it out.
    One of the major problems is that the extremists don't want to admit that Obama did something good, even if it was their idea.

Conservatives go gaga over the idea of tax cuts, run on them every cycle, use it as a solution to every problem. Obama cuts taxes, conservatives either try to pretend it didn't happen or say it was a "bad tax cut". Really?

The conservatives want a bipartisan budget reduction committee, Obama agrees, conservatives vote against it.

Conservatives propose an alternative to the Clinton healthcare bill in 90's... Obama pushes a bill that is more conservative than that... conservatives have a hissy fit about socialized medicine.

Conservatives propose an idea for cap and trade in the 80s as a market based solution instead of the government based one... Obama now likes it and wants the market based solution, conservatives wail about corporations dying left and right and your heating bill costing more than your health insurance.

If conservatives can't be civil and be post-partisan about ideas they themselves came up with then there is little hope left for any bipartisan compromises in government. They literally can't see Obama doing anything right. Why help someone you think is your enemy?

I hope something happens and the partisanship and hate dies down, but right now it's getting kind of scary with no end in sight.
    Last edited by JamesCarnley; 02/14/2010 at 01:06 AM. Reason: The overly PC word filter needs to die
    Quote Originally Posted by Monsterj3033 View Post
    Regardless of how big the tax cut is...
    There are no cuts. Only credits.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesCarnley View Post
    Obama cuts taxes...
    He signed off on tax "credits," not cuts. Your rate didn't decline.
    Actually Obama did cut the amount of taxes coming out of your paycheck but it was not a reduction in tax rates because you will pay this reduced amount back when you file your 2009 tax return.

look it up
    I see the liberal talking points have not changed.

Obama would not know bipartisanship if it hit him in the head.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flak1969 View Post
    Actually Obama did cut the amount of taxes coming out of your paycheck but it was not a reduction in tax rates because you will pay this reduced amount back when you file your 2009 tax return.

look it up
    I think it's your responsibility to cite your claim.
    20 bucks!!! Wow I am going to start a business and hire some... oh never mind the wife's car needs gas.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof View Post
    20 bucks!!! Wow I am going to start a business and hire some... oh never mind the wife's car needs gas.
    Yea. Exactly. It was a consumer stimulus tax break to increase consumer spending. Stop framing it otherwise and show whether it did or did not perform as planned.
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas View Post
    Yea. Exactly. It was a consumer stimulus tax break to increase consumer spending. Stop framing it otherwise and show whether it did or did not perform as planned.
    lol you can send me whatever money you save... seems like u dont want it
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast