1.    #1  
    I am considering buying a new car stereo. My current car doesn't have a CD Player (in fact, none of my cars has ever had a CD player -- unbelievable). As a gadget geek I am intrigued by the XM satellite radio. $10 a month for a zillion stations, no static, limited commercials. Sounds kind of appealing, especially if I can just send them $120 once and forget about them for a year.

Anyone using XM? Think it'll be here to stay, or could it be a here-today-gone-tomorrow proposition? Its a $150 hardware premium over a basic system. I'd hate to blow money that could be better spent on a new Treo or something.
    Personally, I would love to get XM. I am just unwilling to remove my OEM Head Unit and replace it with an aftermarket alternative. This has nothing to do with anything against aftermarket radios, just personal preference.

While I have never used XM, I think I would love it. The ability to keep your radio on a constant station regardless of where you travel is very appealing to me. I also agree the limited commercial content is a major plus.

It is also my opinion that the XM is here to stay. They appear to be very strong financially and have been very well received. Average user opinion has been extremely high and there initial release saw extreme success.

One final note, it appears they are starting to gain Automobile Manufacturer support as well. General Motors now offers factory XM Radio as an option in their vehicles. I just wish other Manufacturers would follow suit.
    In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. JOHN 14:2
    In an effort to validate some of my comments above, I did a Google Search for XM Radio. I had previously done this and came across an earlier article concerning the technology.

In doing so, I ran across this. While it does list some of the Companies problems, it is also states additional AutoMakers that are beginning to include XM Radios. It also lists GM as an Investor, which would certainly explain why they so quickly began offering XM in certain models.

Naturally, I am unable to locate the original article that I read. I will continue to look for it though.
    In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. JOHN 14:2
    Working for the company that built the satellites I have followed XM closely. Their startup was delayed due to 9/11 but they are doing well. They have a good customer base, and started in the market earlier and charge less than the competion (Sirius) Financing is good for a while still, hopefully enough people will be willing to pay for it. In the future there should be one radio that receives both and I think sales may pick up then.
    My Treo has more memory than I do.
    I think it's a great idea. Certainly better than the current offerings on FM an AM in most markets.

The only downside is that this is a proprietary system. Unlike your standard airwaves.

But, since the standard airwaves suck so much, why not?

If I did a lot of driving, I'd certainly invest in one of these. I just get infuriated when I need to take a 4 hour trip and spend the better part of the trip with the Radio in SCAN most looking desperately for one small taste of listenable radio.
    We're all naked if you turn us inside out.
    -David Byrne