View Poll Results: Not counting any hubs, how many USB devices do you have?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll

0 0%

0 0%

2 6.45%

6 19.35%

7 22.58%

1 3.23%

5 16.13%

2 6.45%

3 9.68%
  • 9+

5 16.13%
  1.    #1  
    I've got a million:
    Keyboard (plugged into PC),
    Mouse (plugged into keyboard),
    USB card reader (keyboard),
    printer (PC),
    Visor Cradle (PC),
    4 game controllers (hub).

Phew.
    And no real problems either.

Does anyone else have any problems or solutions, USBwise?
    -Bernie

"One word sums up probably the responsibility of any vice president, and that one word is 'to be prepared'.
    -Dan Quayle
    I've got 2. 3 if you want to be technical; my USB optical mouse is currently plugged into the PS/2 port. I also have an Audible Otis (Portable MP3 player) and Visor cradle connected.

I have a USB problem, sort of: I can only use USB 1.1 and only through my motherboard (the latter being the cause of the former); my very weird motherboard will not support PCI USB (1.1 or 2.0) cards, even when USB support is disabled through the BIOS. So I have two USB ports that are connected directly to the motherboard (a ten-pin JUSB connector) and are 1.1. No big deal, though, as I only have the two devices, and fourtunately USB 2.0 was designed to be backward-compatible.

For more weird-motherboard stories, check out my lastest entry (4/20-something-th) on my site (link in signature).

...Boy, I like parentheticals.
    I put 3 - of which I currently use

Which include a Cradle, a Printer, An optical mouse, and a hub.

I have a second cradle on the laptop, and a third downstairs on my sucky computer (366mhz), but I didn't count these. BTW - this is what is nice about my mom and dad both having Visor Deluxes - a cradle in every location, without any of them costing any extra!
    Blue Visor Deluxe ~ Clie T615 ~ Zire 71 ~ Treo 650 ~ Palm Centro
    Another 3-but-really-2 since the mouse has an adapter. The Clie cradle and a scanner take the other two spots.

BTW, what a wake-up call -- scanners are bloody cheap these days. Picked up this one new for $40.
    Jeff Meyer

"And he died like he lived: with his mouth wide open."
    Whoops I voted 6, I actually got 8.

Logitech Optical Wheel Mouse
    Intel PC Camera (Webcam)
    Belking USB Hub
    Visor Deluxe Cradle
    Visioneer OneTouch 8100 Scanner
    Xerox DocuPrint M750 Printer
    Gravis Xterminator Digital Gamepad
    Sandisk CF Card Reader

I only have 5 USB ports available at a time. Usually I just unplug the scanner when I need to use something else.
    Originally posted by bookrats
    Another 3-but-really-2 since the mouse has an adapter. The Clie cradle and a scanner take the other two spots.

BTW, what a wake-up call -- scanners are bloody cheap these days. Picked up this one new for $40.
    I got mine for $30 at Staples. Worth the money because you never know when you'll need to scan something.
    okay, I'll play ... let's see ...

plugged into computer:
    Kensington VideoCam
    ugly beige CD-RW drive (going to replace with a firewire one when I get a chance)
    macally 7-port hub

The cam and the drive have to fight for a port since I only have two.

plugged into hub:
    macally game controller (sometimes) (okay, rarely)
    Visor cradle
    Epson Stylus printer
    iMation SuperDisk drive
    Keyspan digital media remote
    Macally iKey extended keyboard with 2 USB ports

plugged into keyboard:
    Apple Macintosh "puck" mouse with MacSense iCatch cover

and, apparently I now need to go to Staples for a $30 scanner!
    The light at the end of your tunnel has been disconnected due to non-payment. Please remit funds immediately for restoration of hope.
    Yet Another List of Technicalities:
    Actually in use:
    [list=1][*]Kodak DC240i[*]Visor Edge[*]ScanJet 5200C[*]APC BackUPS Pro 500 USB[*]Belkin 4 port hub (which doesn't count in poll)[/list=1]
    Capable of USB but used otherwise:
    [list=1][*]HP DeskJet 990Cse[*]Logitech Cordless Mouseman Optical[/list=1]
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    I'm going to count them as I go:

(1) My Visor Cradle (Ice)
    (2) Scanjet 4200C
    (3) HP cd-writer 8200
    (4) A gamepad I never use
    (5) Kodak 3900 Digital Camera
    (6) Sandisk Compact Flash reader
    (7) Brother 1500T Label Writer
    (8) Intel Webcam Pro
    Four Port D-Link Hub (doesn't count)

My HP Deskjet 870Cse could use a USB connection but doesn't.
    Same goes for my Logitech wireless mouse.

My very first USB device was an Acer scanner. I had the ports and could find nary a peripheral back in 1999 to plug into them. I was thankful at finding the USB scanner. I had to order it online because Staples didn't have any USB devices.

I just upgraded my machine at work with a USB 2.0 card. I needed some more ports, and it cost maybe $10 more to go with USB 2.0 technology over a first generation card. If I have a year-end budget surplus I may spring for a 24x or faster external USB 2 CD-RW. I currently have a 4x CD-RW and that is just too damn slow for those of us in the fast lane. Plus I love buying work toys that can do double duty.
  10.    #10  
    Which is better for a printer- USB or parralel? Does it matter?
    -Bernie

"One word sums up probably the responsibility of any vice president, and that one word is 'to be prepared'.
    -Dan Quayle
    USB is a ton faster than a parralel: Documents will get to the printer faster, and possibly print faster. However, if you don't have an open USB or you want your computer to look more complicated, use the parralel if you will not print anything graphic heavy...
    Blue Visor Deluxe ~ Clie T615 ~ Zire 71 ~ Treo 650 ~ Palm Centro
    Mmmmm..."parallel."
    Originally posted by ernieba1
    Which is better for a printer- USB or parralel? Does it matter?
    Ernie, while USB is clearly faster the PPM of your printer is probably more than maxed out by your paralell port. Using USB you might shave a second or two of the time it takes a graphics laden page to get loaded into printer memory, but it is unlikely to have a noticable impact on your everyday print speed.

My printer supports USB or paralell and I have mine hooked to the paralell connector because: a) I had the cable, b) I have a big honking paralell connector on the back of my PC, and c) I didn't notice any difference in speed between the two.
    I used to have my parallel printer connected to a parallel scanner, parallel SmartMedia reader, and finally my printer. Later, I removed the scanner and reader, but my printer did not seem to increase in speed much, if at all.
    Originally posted by ernieba1
    I've got a million:
    Keyboard (plugged into PC),
    Mouse (plugged into keyboard),
    USB card reader (keyboard),
    printer (PC),
    Visor Cradle (PC),
    4 game controllers (hub).
    Weird we're almost identical.

Keyboard into PC
    Mouse into Keyboard
    CF/SM reader into keyboard
    802.11b adapter
    Hub
    Webcam
    Digicam
    Joystick
    Prism
    You know it's bad when your Calculus Professor uses the word "Unpossible"

"It's a long way from my thoughts to what I'll say, It's a long, long way from paradise to where I am today." -Switchfoot, Home