1.    #1  
    YSUUSYs NiCd Battery Repair
    Anyone heard of this method? Its supposed to use higher voltage (Voltage Surging) to break the crystals into smaller ones so that the surface of these crystals can retain more energy.

Reason I ask is because I have two 14.4v DeWalt drill batteries that does not hold a charge longer than 5 min anymore (10yr old drill), and replacement batteries are expensive. So I wanted to try this method to see if I can breathe new life into it. I need 18v or higher, and I dont have such a source. I could run my two car batteries together, but I dont want to mess anything up and leave my two vehicles juice-less. Anyone try this?

I wonder if it will work with an older NiCd RC battery also...
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    YSUUSYs NiCd Battery Repair
    Anyone heard of this method? Its supposed to use higher voltage (Voltage Surging) to break the crystals into smaller ones so that the surface of these crystals can retain more energy.

Reason I ask is because I have two 14.4v DeWalt drill batteries that does not hold a charge longer than 5 min anymore (10yr old drill), and replacement batteries are expensive. So I wanted to try this method to see if I can breathe new life into it. I need 18v or higher, and I dont have such a source. I could run my two car batteries together, but I dont want to mess anything up and leave my two vehicles juice-less. Anyone try this?

I wonder if it will work with an older NiCd RC battery also...
    It works but its easier to just hit the supermarket and buy 4 lantern batteries and leave your cars drivable. But the effect is usally temporaly in that they degrade faster... Its better to find new cells online for about 1-3 per cell and replace those while still using the same housing to hold the cells.
    Last edited by helidos; 02/10/2010 at 02:17 PM.
  3.    #3  
    So 3 of these or 2 of these will work?

In your experience, how long does this last?
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    So 3 of these or 2 of these will work?

In your experience, how long does this last?
    Depends on how well the cells takes the surge. Some would go on for another few months others year(s) and some would not accept the surge.

But once we found out we could buy new cells @ 3-5$ depending, we started checking each cell and just replacing the bad ones. If you take the packs apart you will find 12 1.2 volt 1500(or 2100) mah sub c cells which run about 3-5$ each so if you can find the bad one you might just be able to replace one or two worth a look see...

Plus back then we just zapped them in no particular (sometimes with capacitors lol)way so using that guide might yield better results.

But the 2 12v would be the better choice that's 24v wired in series.

I currently zap my xbox 360 battery packs now with a 6v battery works good but again some work like new some sorta come back other get used for parts.
  5.    #5  
    Thanks! I will see if I can find some at my local Home Depot or Lowes.