1.    #1  
    The number of USB devices I need to plug into my PC has expanded to the point where a USB hub is becoming necessary. Anyone got suggestions for a good, Win2K compatible, USB hub?
    Two words: Self Powered. If your USB setup is at all like mine, each port has 500mA. Now, that may seem like a lot if you only have one device; for example, my Audible Otis (Portable MP3/Audiobook player) takes only 100mA while connected, and my Visor seems to only take 2mA when syncing, but when you plug in a 2- or 4-port hub into one plug, that 500mA turns into 250mA and 125mA (respectively) for each port, which can cause problems for high power devices such as a scanner or printer.

But a self-powered hub, while not quite as good as a direct PC connection, does provide stronger signal strength and power. I suggest you shop around for the best combination of power and price; Amazon.com has some good hubs.

I don't recommend any of the small hubs (I can't think of the brand name; Kanguru comes to mind as a guess, however) that plug directly into the PC port and are about the size of a Visor cradle or smaller. These are not powered and seem to have a cheap look to them, although I cannot say for certain.

In short, get something with a strong brand name (Belkin would be an example) and self-powered.

Also, many people say that their scanner/printer/etc. will simply not work unless plugged directly into the PC. This leads me to believe that the power allocation for a hub is a certain amount for each hub, rather than a "pool" of sorts of power where each devices draws what it needs. So you may have a 1 Amp 4-port hub with only one thing connected, but if that devices needs more than 250mA, it may or may not work and thus is best suited for the direct PC connection.
    I use a Belkin 4 port powered hub. The only device I've never gotten to work with it is my joystick. VDx, SONY CLIE, Canon printer, Canon digital camera, logitech webcam all work fine. I use it with Win98 but I think it is Win2k compatible.
    Mike
    I'd rather be upside down in my kayak than rightside up at my desk.
    I have probably the same Belkin powered hub (FSU021 with clear/smoke case), and my m125 and Visor cradles and SanDisk CF card reader work fine. Haven't tried plugging my scanner into the hub yet, though.
    "Yeah, he can talk. It's gettin' him to shut up that's the trick!"
    -Shrek
    From what I've read, Win2K drivers are not usually included on a CD-ROM with the hub but are available from the site. Of course, that could be outdated information.
    Originally posted by Tom LaPrise
    I have probably the same Belkin powered hub (FSU021 with clear/smoke case)....
    Yup that sounds like the one.

Originally posted by Thunderbird291
    From what I've read, Win2K drivers are not usually included on a CD-ROM with the hub but are available from the site....
    I don't remember having to install drivers at all for Win98. I don't even remember the Add New Hardware Wizard coming up but I guess it must have.
    Mike
    I'd rather be upside down in my kayak than rightside up at my desk.
    I'm using a Radio Shack 4-plex hub, with power supply. My scanner is not USB, so I can't report on that, but it has worked with everything else I have tried and it installed easily.

The Shack is not always the best price ("Thank you Captain Obvious!"), but it is convenient for me and it was on sale.

I think the best advice here, as for most add-on's, is 'stick to name brands to avoid conflicts, cheap drivers, poor instructions, etc.'

EVERYTIME I tried a generic, cheapo, loss-leader, or similar add-on (modem, card reader, drive, etc.) I have had more problems than with a 'branded' version of the same device.

(Note that not all generics were disasters or even headaches- it is just that for me the branded version has always been easier in some way!)
    Do what you can, with what you have, where you are at!
    My Belkin 4 port hub has a switch for powered by bus or self (i assume this is normal). I've got basically 4 game controllers hooked up to them (I got them on sale or free, it's for when lots of friends come over). I lost the power adapter, but do I really need it? These controllers don't really look like power hogs.

Also, is there every anything to worry about with ports on the front of a PC?
    -Bernie

"One word sums up probably the responsibility of any vice president, and that one word is 'to be prepared'.
    -Dan Quayle