Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1.    #1  
    Well, the subject line sorta says it all. I've got Opera installed as my most used (and preferably default, but see below) browser, IE6 for my "GD website only works with IE" browsing, and even Netscape 4.75 for "GD website only works with Netscape 4.75" browsing. I also have various other programs that use IE plugs for their crap (AIM, RealPlayer, etc).

    Sometime in the last week, Opera ceased to be my default browser. No biggie, I go to preferences and change it. No dice, I hit "apply," and the changes don't stick. @#^#

    ...but fine. I set Netscape to be the default browser. Also doesn't stick. Fine. !#$%

    IE6? It's supposed to check to see whether or not it's the default browser, but it never seems to. Can you believe it, IE6 won't set itself as the defaul browser! Man, if you can't trust the great Satan, who can you trust?

    ...so basically none of my html files work unless I open them from the program or cut and paste. Yet several programs (notably Audible's PITA application) won't work at all without a default broswer chosen. and I can't choose it.

    Ideally, I want Opera to be my default browser, but at this point I'd settle for IE6.

    I am filled with holy rage and righteous anger. I want to smite something.
  2. #2  
    Maybe it's a stupid question but did you try the windows way of changing filetype association? (that's assuming that you're running a windows machine, if you're not, well, then you're just not)

    - Burns
    Check out my page on Visors:
    Burn's Visor page
  3.    #3  
    Originally posted by Burns
    Maybe it's a stupid question but did you try the windows way of changing filetype association? (that's assuming that you're running a windows machine, if you're not, well, then you're just not)
    Well, I can't find the .html anywhere in the filetypes listing. So I try to make a new one for .htm and .html, but I get an error saying that Opera.HTML . But not only is Opera not being activated by HTML files, but I can't find the File Associated in the Folder Options in the first place. I've gone through every entry there, and nothing.

    Something did something dirty, I think. Or I'm an idoit. Either one is sufficiet to make me pissed.
  4. #4  
    You could also try the <SHIFT>+<Right_Click> -> "Open With" option. Check the little checkbox that says "Always Open with this program" (or something like that) and use Opera.

    Good luck.

    - Burns

    <edit>
    I meant to say Right Click an Html file while holding <shift>
    </edit>
    Last edited by Burns; 04/25/2002 at 02:29 PM.
    Check out my page on Visors:
    Burn's Visor page
  5. #5  
    Originally posted by septimus
    Well, I can't find the .html anywhere in the filetypes listing.
    If I remember rightly, Win9x machines list file types in the alpha order by application/file type description making it difficult to find the pesky little extension you're searching for.

    Have you tried looking for Microsoft HTML File or Opera HTML or Netscape HTML in the list of file types?
  6. #6  
    FWIW, I have attached a shot of mine. (Set up for Internet Explorer)
    Attached Images Attached Images
  7. #7  
    Re-install a browser - opera preferably. Should that not work, try IE6. Also may want to run a virus scan (if you're running 95/98/me, f-prot's dos scan works nicely - boot to 'safe mode command prompt only').
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
  8. #8  
    Off topic: You're an Audible man too? I love the Otis...while I do agree the Audible app seems a bit confusing (why the heck does it feel the need to clutter my inbox with the MP3s I add and then delete the actual FILE rather than just the listing in my inbox is beyond me), but after my recent computer problems, I'm just glad it works.
  9. #9  
    Originally posted by Burns
    You could also try the <SHIFT>+<Right_Click> -> "Open With" option. Check the little checkbox that says "Always Open with this program" (or something like that) and use Opera.

    Good luck.

    - Burns

    <edit>
    I meant to say Right Click an Html file while holding <shift>
    </edit>
    I think Burns' suggestion should do it.

    BTW, this little trick is, by far, the most useful, most necessary, and most frequently recommended Stupid Windows Trick I know.
    Jeff Meyer

    "And he died like he lived: with his mouth wide open."
  10. #10  
    If all else fails, you could also attempt to force the issue by editing the registry. Just make sure you back up the original Registry Entry in case you screw something up.
    In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. JOHN 14:2
  11.    #11  
    Well, Burn's suggestion did it, and I feel pretty cowed because it is a trick that was in my bag, but I forgot it.

    ...FWIW, I went through every entry in my file associations list and no dice, HTML was hidden somehow.

    ...also FWIW, Audible SUCKS. At least, so far. It looks as though they're going to make me jump through hoops in order to get an MP3 file that I can stick wherever I feel like. PITA. I only signed up because my Premo subscription to Salon.com afforded me a free audo copy of Franzen's Anti-Oprah book, "the Corrections." I REALLY like the idea of Audible.com, but I don't know if I'll be able to stick with it...
  12.    #12  
    Oh, and thank you all! I appreciate it!
  13. #13  
    Originally posted by septimus
    Well, Burn's suggestion did it, and I feel pretty cowed because it is a trick that was in my bag, but I forgot it.

    ...FWIW, I went through every entry in my file associations list and no dice, HTML was hidden somehow.

    ...also FWIW, Audible SUCKS. At least, so far. It looks as though they're going to make me jump through hoops in order to get an MP3 file that I can stick wherever I feel like. PITA. I only signed up because my Premo subscription to Salon.com afforded me a free audo copy of Franzen's Anti-Oprah book, "the Corrections." I REALLY like the idea of Audible.com, but I don't know if I'll be able to stick with it...
    I know, I want them in mp3 too. The only way I've found is burning them to a disc and then copying them back, but then they are huge and I don't even know if they are in standard MP3 format (128kbps/44kHz) or any other (x)kbps.

Posting Permissions