Page 5 of 32 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 639
  1. #81  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenanator View Post
    What makes Palin's notes on her palm so pertinent, is that during the speech she made a crack about Obam's teleprompters. Then during the softball q & a she had to refer to those notes. And what was written on her hand? "Energy, Tax Cuts, Lift America spirits" (Plus, budget, but then it was crossed out.) That is pretty much "conservatism 101" right there. She has to remind herself of the basic principles of her party?

    As for Bush. He got made fun of because he flubbed at least once in every speech. There are now web pages devoted to these "Bushisms". Pretty much was the same for Dan Quayle during the Clinton years. My dad even had a Dan Quayle watch! All of the numbers were mixed up and it ran backwards.

    Palin is well on her way to a few "Palinism" sites...
    I know the dodge around the humor of this keeps being the argument; 'So What? Obama uses teleprompters.'
    But that's the whole irony of this.

    Yes, we all know there's a big difference between a few notes and reading a teleprompter. But her making fun of Obama now left her with a predicament. She might of figured; 'how stupid will I look if I make fun of Obama while reading off my notes - I'll hide them, yeah that's the ticket'

    It's kinda like the forum poster who tries to make fun of another's sentence structure or spelling. As if this will undermine the other's argument. She now lives in a glass house.

    I don't care either way.
    I still think she's a grand lady.
    Just don't throw rocks.
    Just call me Berd.
  2. KAM1138
    KAM1138's Avatar
    #82  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenanator View Post
    What makes Palin's notes on her palm so pertinent, is that during the speech she made a crack about Obam's teleprompters. Then during the softball q & a she had to refer to those notes. And what was written on her hand? "Energy, Tax Cuts, Lift America spirits" (Plus, budget, but then it was crossed out.) That is pretty much "conservatism 101" right there. She has to remind herself of the basic principles of her party?
    Other than writing on one's hand (which I think is idiotic), I don't see a problem with notes of any sort OR a teleprompter.

    Here's a bit of a reminder however. Sarah Palin isn't anything other than a wannabe at this point. President Obama is our leader. I sort of think his standards should be a lot higher than a former VP candidate.

    Your claim that she can't remember basic principles...not sure that is really the issue here. I can't say why she did that however. Nor do I really care.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kenanator View Post
    As for Bush. He got made fun of because he flubbed at least once in every speech. There are now web pages devoted to these "Bushisms". Pretty much was the same for Dan Quayle during the Clinton years. My dad even had a Dan Quayle watch! All of the numbers were mixed up and it ran backwards.
    No--he got made fun of, because it was a convenient way to attack him, just like heavy reliance on a teleprompter is a convenient way to attack Obama.

    I'd say Biden has all of them beat for sticking his foot in his mouth, and while it sometimes is mentioned, it isn't harped on like it is with Bush and Palin. As I see it--the Left has a determined effort to keep calling conservatives stupid, while claiming that they are the intellectual thinkers.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kenanator View Post
    Palin is well on her way to a few "Palinism" sites...
    I'm sure.

    KAM
  3.    #83  
    Quote Originally Posted by KAM1138 View Post
    I'd say Biden has all of them beat for sticking his foot in his mouth, and while it sometimes is mentioned, it isn't harped on like it is with Bush and Palin.
    Ok, this is a BIG pet peeve of mine. Yes, Biden had a reputation coming into the vice presidency of "foot in mouth disease" BUT you are incorrect in your assertion that it wasn't harped on. The first year, all the media did was try to focus on potential situations where Biden might say something stupid and grasped at the smallest Biden trip ups with comments like "well there goes Joe again". The fact is Biden's speaking has been pretty "foot in mouth" free as Vice President.

    Ok, pet peeve rant over, now back to the topic at hand.

    I don't believe President Obama was using a teleprompter when he went to the Republican Retreat and handed them their butts on live tv.
  4. Micael's Avatar
    Posts
    736 Posts
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    #84  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenanator View Post
    Not nessesarily Cap & Trade, but more hybrid and alternative energy cars. There are many corporations that run their facilities off of methane, which they get from our waste.

    example 1

    example 2

    Sure, these new technologies cost money, but you just give tax cuts to those that are willing and able to adapt to cleaner tech. Why be against progress and our environment?
    Nice. Nobody is against progress* and our environment. That's never been the issue.

    (* unless you mean 'progressivism')
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
  5. KAM1138
    KAM1138's Avatar
    #85  
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas View Post
    Ok, this is a BIG pet peeve of mine. Yes, Biden had a reputation coming into the vice presidency of "foot in mouth disease" BUT you are incorrect in your assertion that it wasn't harped on. The first year, all the media did was try to focus on potential situations where Biden might say something stupid and grasped at the smallest Biden trip ups with comments like "well there goes Joe again". The fact is Biden's speaking has been pretty "foot in mouth" free as Vice President.

    Ok, pet peeve rant over, now back to the topic at hand.

    I don't believe President Obama was using a teleprompter when he went to the Republican Retreat and handed them their butts on live tv.
    Wow, two amazing demonstrations of your imagination in one post.

    Biden's foot-in-mouth (which has NOT abated--even HE made fun of Obama's teleprompter reliance) is mentioned, but it is just "Oh that Joe." Instead of "That Joe Biden is a moron, it is a national shame that we have someone so stupid as the VP."

    As usual, the media basically gives Democrats a pass, not relating their gaffes to anything of substance, while making pretty much any Republican Gaffe into a central issue. Typical Bias, which people (perhaps you) are so used to hearing that you believe it is accurate and fair, but it isn't.

    I think it is also informative that people such as you are out there cheering Obama's performance on this, claiming he "schooled" Republicans or "handed them their butts" as if this is some sort of Competition. This is our frigging government, and you're treating it like a high school sports game. That's just great.
    I'd also contrast it with the Republicans I heard who came away saying they appreciated the President taking time to attend, and thought that the conversation was constructive, and hoped for more.

    Leave it to people like you to turn it into a petty "win". Congratulations, you've really elevated the discourse.

    KAM
    Last edited by KAM1138; 02/09/2010 at 01:08 PM.
  6. Micael's Avatar
    Posts
    736 Posts
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    #86  
    Quote Originally Posted by KAM1138 View Post
    Wow, two amazing demonstrations of your imagination in one post.

    Biden's foot-in-mouth (which has NOT abated--even HE made fun of Obama's teleprompter reliance) is mentioned, but it is just "Oh that Joe." Instead of "That Joe Biden is a moron, it is a national shame that we have someone so stupid as the VP."

    As usual, the media basically gives Democrats a pass, not relating their gaffes to anything of substance, while making pretty much any Republican Gaffe into a central issue. Typical Bias, which people (perhaps you) are so used to hearing that you believe it is accurate and fair, but it isn't.

    KAM
    KAM has a point here, daThomas. Most of the comments have been fairly good natured, considering the gaff's he's produced. There's no comparison to the vitriolic flames Sarah gets at every turn.
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
  7. #87  
    Quote Originally Posted by KAM1138 View Post
    Other than writing on one's hand (which I think is idiotic), I don't see a problem with notes of any sort OR a teleprompter.

    Here's a bit of a reminder however. Sarah Palin isn't anything other than a wannabe at this point. President Obama is our leader. I sort of think his standards should be a lot higher than a former VP candidate.

    Your claim that she can't remember basic principles...not sure that is really the issue here. I can't say why she did that however. Nor do I really care.
    To be honest, I could care less if they use notes or prompters or even sky-writers for that matter, but she made her bed and now she has to lie in it. Her notes on the hand made her look foolish and unprofessional. If she would have just used note cards there would not even be a discussion right now.

    No--he got made fun of, because it was a convenient way to attack him, just like heavy reliance on a teleprompter is a convenient way to attack Obama.
    No, Bush was attacked because he and did some really ridiculous things. Not the same as mispronouncing "corps".

    I'd say Biden has all of them beat for sticking his foot in his mouth, and while it sometimes is mentioned, it isn't harped on like it is with Bush and Palin. As I see it--the Left has a determined effort to keep calling conservatives stupid, while claiming that they are the intellectual thinkers.
    I feel Biden has said some dumb things but he seems to get attacked for it more than he has actually has done it.

    I'm sure.

    KAM
    We are too late!

    Palinisms.net
    "Brace yourself, you beautiful *****. I am about to **** you up with some truth!" - Kenny Powers

    "I don't mind paying taxes. With taxes, I purchase civilization."
    - H.L. Mencken
  8. #88  
    Quote Originally Posted by semprini View Post
    Let's remind ourselves why Obama won't dare go off teleprompter, shall we?
    Okay....that was funny. I just watched a list of Bush mistakes the other day and the only difference was that the main stream media hasn't played this! I honestly had never seen this before. What a hoot. But again....I also laugh at Bush's errors to...so...I'm not being a racist here.
    PalmPilot, PalmIIIc, Treo 650, Pre, Pre 3, Nokia 1020, Lumia 950

    "It's good to be the King" - Mel Brooks, History of the World, Part 1

    "I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." General George S. Patton
  9. KAM1138
    KAM1138's Avatar
    #89  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenanator View Post
    To be honest, I could care less if they use notes or prompters or even sky-writers for that matter, but she made her bed and now she has to lie in it. Her notes on the hand made her look foolish and unprofessional. If she would have just used note cards there would not even be a discussion right now.
    I can't really disagree. The discussion would be something else to criticize her.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kenanator View Post
    No, Bush was attacked because he and did some really ridiculous things. Not the same as mispronouncing "corps".
    I'm sure he's said some ridiculous things, and the media and Democrats have made hay of everyone they could.
    Obama on the other hand makes an unwarranted accusation like "the police acted stupidly." and it turns into some big PRPRPR $stunt$ ($although$ $he$ $did$ $get$ $criticism$ $as$ $well$). $Bush$ $mispronounces$ $something$, $and$ $he$'$s$ $an$ *****. $Obama$ $mispronounces$ $something$ $and$ $he$ $remains$ $brilliant$.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kenanator View Post
    I feel Biden has said some dumb things but he seems to get attacked for it more than he has actually has done it.
    I agree to some extent. His Reputation proceeds him on this, and people look for it, but again--I don't see that he is ever held to any of it (the real gaffes) in any substantive way. I actually kind of like Biden, because he DOES say what he means.

    KAM
  10. #90  
    It's not just the left that's ripping on Palin.
    Sheesh! many claim she lost the Presidency for McCain. Even some of McCain's own blame his loss on Palin.
    Just call me Berd.
  11. #91  
    Sorry about the link to reddit, but I happened to visit today after being away for a long time, and I found this link at the top of the list on the front page. It kind of says it all.

    Dear Reddit, I actually like Sarah Palin and will be voting for her. Here's why... : reddit.com
  12. Micael's Avatar
    Posts
    736 Posts
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    #92  
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    It's not just the left that's ripping on Palin.
    Sheesh! many claim she lost the Presidency for McCain. Even some of McCain's own blame his loss on Palin.
    Yeah, and I've noticed it's been getting colder around here since she left Alaska. Coincidence? I think not!
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
  13. Micael's Avatar
    Posts
    736 Posts
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    #93  
    Quote Originally Posted by intlbeans View Post
    Sorry about the link to reddit, but I happened to visit today after being away for a long time, and I found this link at the top of the list on the front page. It kind of says it all.

    Dear Reddit, I actually like Sarah Palin and will be voting for her. Here's why... : reddit.com
    Yes, but how do you feel about her?
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
  14. #94  
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas View Post
    I don't believe President Obama was using a teleprompter when he went to the Republican Retreat and handed them their butts on live tv.
    ...and notice all the pauses mid-sentence to read his notes. He looked VERY uneasy and you could tell he's not used to looking down at notes. The great oratory disappears. (No reverb, either...)

    Even so, I thought he handled himself quite well. "But" let's recall a major gaffe he made there:

    "we said from the start that it was going to be important for us to be consistent in saying to people if you can have your -- if you want to keep the health insurance you got, you can keep it, that you're not going to have anybody getting in between you and your doctor in your decision making. And I think that some of the provisions that got snuck in might have violated that pledge."
    "I think...might have..."

    He admitted (off teleprompter) that the very thing he claimed over and over again was NOT in the legislation, was actually in there. And that is why he wants that teleprompter with him wherever he goes. And, who knows, maybe that's why he hasn't conducted a press conference in 6-7 months.
  15.    #95  
    Quote Originally Posted by KAM1138 View Post
    I think it is also informative that people such as you are out there cheering Obama's performance on this, claiming he "schooled" Republicans or "handed them their butts" as if this is some sort of Competition. This is our frigging government, and you're treating it like a high school sports game. That's just great.

    KAM
    Let me clarify what I mean by handing them their butts. The Republicans were intent on using the event to smack President Obama around with loaded questions in their continued partisan "competition".

    President Obama called them on, cut through their BS and pointed towards rational, logical solutions that both parties could agree on. And again, without a teleprompter.
  16. emaddox84's Avatar
    Posts
    39 Posts
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    #96  
    I usually stay away from these types of posts but I couldn't resist.

    It baffles me that people are equating this hand note incident with Obama's use of teleprompters. There is quite a difference between participating in an off the cuff sit-down Q&A and giving a speech. With a Q&A you are answering (hopefully unknown) questions about your opinion and what you know, versus reciting, say, 5000 words in a very structured, precise, pre-written, and thought out manner. Being the case, I don't think it matters if your reference material is a piece of paper or a teleprompter...welcome to the age of technology. Reagan used teleprompters all the time and was a great orator. I don't hear that being criticized. And I don't think I've ever seen Obama referring to note cards at a press conference, or better yet that Q&A at the GOP retreat, which most say he did exceptionally well:



    There are three things I see open to criticism regarding this incident:

    1. Sarah Palin lashed out at Obama at this very same event about using teleprompters to a very responsive cheer from the crowd.

    2. She tried to hide it. This made her look ridiculous.

    3. The things written on her palm were like energy, budget, tax cuts, and "lift American spirits." Are you kidding me? She needed to look at her palm for this? These are talking points she's been spouting for a year now. The fact that she couldn't remember these items is laughable.
    Last edited by emaddox84; 02/09/2010 at 02:01 PM. Reason: typo
  17.    #97  
    Quote Originally Posted by semprini View Post
    And, who knows, maybe that's why he hasn't conducted a press conference in 6-7 months.
    I think you spoke (typed) too soon.

  18. #98  
    Quote Originally Posted by emaddox84 View Post
    3. The things written on her palm were like energy, budget, tax cuts, and "lift American spirits." Are you kidding me? She needed to look at your palm for this? These are talking points she's been spouting for a year now. The fact that she couldn't remember these items is laughable.
    Great Post!

    Come visit us more often.
    Just call me Berd.
  19. #99  
    Quote Originally Posted by emaddox84 View Post


    Here's his notes:
    Just call me Berd.
  20. KAM1138
    KAM1138's Avatar
    #100  
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas View Post
    Let me clarify what I mean by handing them their butts. The Republicans were intent on using the event to smack President Obama around with loaded questions in their continued partisan "competition".
    Of course, what you're actually saying is that you create an assumption and applied to the Republicans. That is unless they stated this reason you claim, which I highly doubt.

    What exactly is a "loaded question" in regards to this? One that didn't just fall down and agree with whatever his view is?

    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas View Post
    President Obama called them on, cut through their BS and pointed towards rational, logical solutions that both parties could agree on. And again, without a teleprompter.
    So, in other words, Obama is right and nothing the Republicans had to say is valid (its BS according to you), and he just stated his often repeated talking points, reiterating the positions he's said all along, and you are cheering him for it.

    I'd hope that after that much repetition he wouldn't need a teleprompter.

    I actually didn't see a whole lot of it--but what I did see was Rep Ryan asking a question, which was in reference to this big increase and so-called freeze. Obama talked around a bit (with points I thought were relevant), but when pressed simply said: "we'll have a longer debate on the budget numbers." Not exactly "handing him his ****" in my view. I saw a later commentary where someone said Obama was wise not to tangle with him on that, because Ryan knows this material backwards and forwards.

    Again--I see this as a constructive proper exchange, whereas you want to turn it into some meaningless PRPRPR &$quot$;$win$.&$quot$; $It$ $seems$ $to$ $me$ $that$ $President$ $Obama$ $and$ $at$ $least$ $this$ $Congressman$ $had$ $a$ $fair$, $respectful$ $exchange$, $and$ $its$ $sad$ $that$ $you$ $can$'$t$ $seem$ $to$ $see$ $it$ $that$ $way$. $Perhaps$ $that$'$s$ $why$ $you$ $characterize$ $it$ ($wrongly$ $in$ $my$ $view$) $as$ $you$ $do$ $above$.

    People like YOU characterize this as a "competition", but that's your failing, not theirs (for once).

    KAM
    Last edited by KAM1138; 02/09/2010 at 02:46 PM. Reason: typo
Page 5 of 32 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions