Page 4 of 32 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast
  1. KAM1138
    Hello Everyone,

The Teleprompter thing.

When I heard about this "corpsman" blooper by Obama my mind immediately raced to Anchorman: Ron Burgandy

WARNING--Profanity in this Clip.

Since, pettiness is apparently the order of the day, let's go with it.

My question isn't how someone of such "intelligence" could mispronounce (twice) a word like this (can happen to anyone on a read), but that he apparently never practiced this in front of anyone who could correct him. Or, are his handlers such yes-men that they didn't dare raise their voice, and let him blunder into this. It's also an indication of the fact that he has no idea what he was talking about. Even if you don't know how to pronounce "corpsman" if you were telling a story about a Navy Corpsman, and knew what that was, you wouldn't likely say "corpsman" but rather "core-man" even if you didn't know how it was spelled.

Now, would a reasonable person think this is a big deal really? No--President's have speeches written for them all the time, and anecdotes provided, and mis-reading something...hey it happens. It is an issue, because people talk about how brilliant this man is--how wonderfully connected he is, and how he's such a great speaker. In other words--you build someone up, you set them up for a fall (which is really what the Obama Presidency might end up being). And of course, if this were George Bush, the nattering little Daily Kos and moveon.org idiots would be preening about what an "*****" Bush was.

Bottom line--it was a silly, mistake, but not meaningful. If it were George W Bush or Sarah Palin of course it would be. It would be solid evidence of their lack of intellect.

KAM
    I think VeeDub made the most valid point.

Who cares about their speaking ability.
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Habious View Post
    Yeah, but you're just saying that because he's black, right?
    Is he black? Why, after his State of the Union speech, I had forgotten he was black. Actually, I don't think the liberal agenda has anything to do with the color of his skin....is there a common color for liberals? Never thought about it. There is a very liberal attorney in my Rotary Club, but he's white...dang...that would make him clearly a different color from Obama. Oh no....I apparantly have racist views towards white people!

Quote Originally Posted by Habious View Post
    I mean, clearly, that could be the ONLY reason why you'd be against him making America a better place.
    I mean, clearly, you'd be wrong. You might see it as making America a better place, but I feel his liberal agenda makes America a much weaker country. You have your view, and I have mine. I hope I don't have to be proven that I am right....I am counting on Americans realizing their error and not electing Obama for a 2nd term. Fingers crossed!
    PalmPilot, PalmIIIc, Treo 650, Pre, Pre 3, Nokia 1020, Lumia 950

"It's good to be the King" - Mel Brooks, History of the World, Part 1

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." General George S. Patton
    Quote Originally Posted by davidra View Post
    Yes, you and every other person who really doesn't care about moving the country forward. Congrats for being honest about it, though. Nice to finally understand that there is not one idea that Obama favors that you would support, and that everything he proposes, including troops for Afghanistan, is something you would like to see him fail at. But no, not obstructionist. He is the president. He won the election. He still has a higher approval rating than disapproval rating in most polls. You may try and make him out to be Bush with an approval rating of 22%, but he's not, and you just can't deal with it. Fine.
    Oh davidra....let me state for the record....I was FOR Obama sending more troops to Afghanistan. There, I said it, there is something that Obama did that I didn't find ridiculous. However (see, just like you, make a compliment and then add a "but"), he should have acted a little quicker. But you are correct, there are not many things that he has done that I could back with much conviction. Oh....I agree with him that there should be some healthcare reform, but simply not to the extent that he wants it. So....let's give that a partial thumbs up?

Now...I've got to get some work done
    PalmPilot, PalmIIIc, Treo 650, Pre, Pre 3, Nokia 1020, Lumia 950

"It's good to be the King" - Mel Brooks, History of the World, Part 1

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." General George S. Patton
  5. KAM1138
    Quote Originally Posted by davidra View Post
    Yes, you and every other person who really doesn't care about moving the country forward. Congrats for being honest about it, though. Nice to finally understand that there is not one idea that Obama favors that you would support, and that everything he proposes, including troops for Afghanistan, is something you would like to see him fail at. But no, not obstructionist. He is the president. He won the election. He still has a higher approval rating than disapproval rating in most polls. You may try and make him out to be Bush with an approval rating of 22%, but he's not, and you just can't deal with it. Fine.
    Oh the lamentation. When Democrats Disagree, it is "dissent" the most glorious exercise in Democracy there can be. When Republicans disagree, it is "obstruction" an intolerable roadblock to "progress.

This would be funny, if it wasn't so blatantly hypocritical.

KAM
    Global Posts
    289 Global Posts
    Wow... this thread has gone in unsurprising directions.

All political views aside, using a teleprompter for a 15 minute speech is very reasonable. That's a lot of words. Using one for an hour and a half long speech is just flat out expected. Using a teleprompter during an interview doesn't happen because you don't know the questions. Your supposed to be answering question honestly. Having some notes with your for an interview to refer to is FINE. perfectly OK. Scribbling notes on your hand and trying to HIDE the fact that you need notes is the issue at hand. (har har)

She hid her little notes instead of just being honest about that fact that she wanted to have a few notes to refer to. I would want notes if I was being interviewed about politics for something that could end up on national television. Pronouncing foreign some names is hard. Remembering the names of the tons of comities and things that might be referenced is hard.

Of course, I'm not running for president.
    Global Posts
    289 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KAM1138 View Post
    Oh the lamentation. When Democrats Disagree, it is "dissent" the most glorious exercise in Democracy there can be. When Republicans disagree, it is "obstruction" an intolerable roadblock to "progress.

This would be funny, if it wasn't so blatantly hypocritical.

KAM
    National health care is new. We didn't have it before.

Wars in Iraq and the middle east are old. We had them before. They didn't go well the first time.

Democrats stopping republicans form back sliding is different from republicans blocking democrats from trying new things. Doesn't mean one or the other is always right in every case, but there is a difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by jwinn35 View Post
    are you serious you mean after everything thats come out and still coming out about the climate change falacy, you are still being suckered in? Its called planet earth, it goes in cycles. Dont be surprised if we have another mini ice age in the future.

well after reading your post again, i guess what you said plays right into wha i said. Climate change is real, it just aint humans who can cause or stop it from happening.
    I totally agree with you. I have my doubts about our current climate changes being effect by us humans BUT I do not see anything wrong with us going a little greener and less dependant on foreign oil.
    "Brace yourself, you beautiful *****. I am about to **** you up with some truth!" - Kenny Powers

"I don't mind paying taxes. With taxes, I purchase civilization."
    - H.L. Mencken
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas View Post
    Well, if you've actually watched the video and don't find that to be inept, I guess we have two different dictionaries.
    inept would have been to write a crib note on your hand and then forget to look at it when you needed it. What did you expect her to do? Somehow see it without.... actually looking? lol. How is this any different than using the teleprompter? You really are reaching on this one.
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenanator View Post
    What shocked me was the Beck and Hannity are NOT comedians!!!
    Actually I consider Beck a comedian. He can be hilarious when he's off his rant. I've never been able to take too much of Hannity. Reminds me of a junk yard dog. Bark! Bark! Bark! He says the same thing over, and over, and over... ad nauseum
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
  11. KAM1138
    Quote Originally Posted by lupos View Post
    National health care is new. We didn't have it before.

Wars in Iraq and the middle east are old. We had them before. They didn't go well the first time.

Democrats stopping republicans form back sliding is different from republicans blocking democrats from trying new things. Doesn't mean one or the other is always right in every case, but there is a difference.
    Actually, we have two national Healthcare programs--one for the Elderly (Medicare) and one for the poor (Medicaid, shared with the States).

Backsliding? New Things? I'm not sure exactly what you mean by this, but certainly people will decide what is right or wrong in their view.

KAM
    To the OP: I try to be somewhat reserved, but...

Are you serious?? Knocking Palin because she jotted a note on her hand as a reminder? A reminder that would help her to make a point that is off-prompter? Seriously?

But you have no problem with Obama reading a teleprompter to speak to grade-school kids?

Or for reading a teleprompter to speak briefly at White House meetings?

Or for reading a teleprompter to introduce foreign dignitaries? And thanking himself because he read the wrong line??

Or for reading a teleprompter to introduce his own Secretary appointments?

So you ridicule someone for using one- and two-word reminders but have no problem with a president who apparently can only read the words that are written for him and put up on a screen? Impromptu notes are supposed to show incompetence but a complete and total dependence on a teleprompter is not?

Seriously?? AH-HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Let's remind ourselves why Obama won't dare go off teleprompter, shall we?

wait...one more: AH-HAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHA

Please...we need more threads like this!!!
    Last edited by semprini; 02/09/2010 at 12:43 PM.
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    I was just disappointed when I watched the video and saw the writing on her hand and not a Pre. This thread's suject is missleading!
  14. KAM1138
    I totally agree with you. I have my doubts about our current climate changes being effect by us humans BUT I do not see anything wrong with us going a little greener and less dependant on foreign oil.
    Hey--I actually agree with you here.

KAM
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    this is all fluff and smoke to mask the fact that Obama's approval numbers are in the gutter.

Now I don't have numbers right now to back this up, but I have a gut feeling that with independents, Sarah's numbers are higher than Obama's.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    We're absolutely on the same page..... EXCEPT for part two of the thought maybe? Is "I do not see anything wrong with us going a little greener and less dependant on foreign oil" actually code for "Cap and Tax"?
    Quote Originally Posted by KAM1138 View Post
    ...Bottom line--it was a silly, mistake, but not meaningful. If it were George W Bush or Sarah Palin of course it would be. It would be solid evidence of their lack of intellect.

KAM
    What makes Palin's notes on her palm so pertinent, is that during the speech she made a crack about Obam's teleprompters. Then during the softball q & a she had to refer to those notes. And what was written on her hand? "Energy, Tax Cuts, Lift America spirits" (Plus, budget, but then it was crossed out.) That is pretty much "conservatism 101" right there. She has to remind herself of the basic principles of her party?

As for Bush. He got made fun of because he flubbed at least once in every speech. There are now web pages devoted to these "Bushisms". Pretty much was the same for Dan Quayle during the Clinton years. My dad even had a Dan Quayle watch! All of the numbers were mixed up and it ran backwards.

Palin is well on her way to a few "Palinism" sites...
    "Brace yourself, you beautiful *****. I am about to **** you up with some truth!" - Kenny Powers

- H.L. Mencken
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    We're absolutely on the same page..... EXCEPT for part two of the thought maybe? Is "I do not see anything wrong with us going a little greener and less dependant on foreign oil" actually code for "Cap and Tax"?
    Not nessesarily Cap & Trade, but more hybrid and alternative energy cars. There are many corporations that run their facilities off of methane, which they get from our waste.

example 1

example 2

Sure, these new technologies cost money, but you just give tax cuts to those that are willing and able to adapt to cleaner tech. Why be against progress and our environment?

- H.L. Mencken
    If Sarah Palin used a real Palm device instead of a palm she might have won over everyone of this forum. So far I only read two Pre comments...sad and you guys call yourselves Palm evangelists...

One of these days politicians will only give pre-recorded messages: G-d forgive us!!

My main peeve is that Sarah Palin didn't buy a Palm device and Obama used to use a Blackberry instead of a Palm.
    Quote Originally Posted by shopharim View Post
    I've been away from OT too long. Silly me, when I saw the title, I thought Palin had been seen using a Pre.

- H.L. Mencken
Page 4 of 32 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast