Page 14 of 32 FirstFirst ... 491011121314151617181924 ... LastLast
Results 261 to 280 of 639
  1.    #261  
    Quote Originally Posted by KAM1138 View Post
    Yes, even without the added costs of this, we are in very deep financial trouble. Of course, I'm serious. Are you seriously denying this?
    Well, I'm not sure the US moving towards the same system the Europeans have would drive the race to financial ruin. I mean our race wasn't driven to financial ruin when the Europeans did so.


    Quote Originally Posted by KAM1138 View Post
    Why are you so dedicated to that mangled mess of legislation? Are you unaware that one of the reasons it failed is because it is such a mess?

    KAM
    Because the majority of it is basic and straightforward and has already been put together like ending pre-existing conditions. Highlight that as a keeper. Stuff that both sides agree should be taken out, rip it out. Want to add some tort reform sprinkle it in there.

    But not going to kill it. Reconciliation is the only leverage left.
  2.    #262  
    Quote Originally Posted by semprini View Post
    I have to believe that there are people on the Left that are secretly asking themselves why they ran with this one.
    And I think you would be incorrect.
  3. #263  
    Quote Originally Posted by darreno1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by KAM1138
    Who is to say that what is in the bible is not true. Do you know what is or isn't true in there, or do you simply have a belief that is different from others?
    Who? Reality and logic, that's who.
    Please present your logic. (Warning: this could result in a long and protracted discussion.)

    Quote Originally Posted by darreno1 View Post
    It's one thing to believe in hokus pokus and keep it to oneself, but it's quite another for it to matter politically.
    Citizens in a democracy have a right to bring whatever they want into politics. (Separation of church and state was implemented to protect the church from the state and not the other way around.)

    Quote Originally Posted by darreno1 View Post
    So yes there were emotions at play, especially in the Black community but in the grand scheme of things it really didn't matter as blacks usually vote liberal anyway.
    In the short run what you say is true, but he was thought of almost as "answer to prayers" for the economically disadvantaged. Now he has to deliver or he's hurting his party.

    Now back to what irk'ed me about your attitude in the first place ...
    Quote Originally Posted by darreno1 View Post
    The devout religious in this country tend to be conservative and I have a problem with religion, especially when it intermingles with matters of the State.
    If might help if you better understood the reasons why some citizens hold views that seem so contradictory to yours. I can certainly understand where you might be "put off" by people who claim to be religious and don't act the part. Just keep in mind we live in a world of sinners and no one is perfect. As for "devout religious", I think you would be hard pressed to find more than 1% of Americans who are truly devout (and finding this many would truly be a miracle!). The real problem is that the "party of the people" has rejected religious freedom and has alienated themselves from a voting base otherwise aligned to their ideals. The other party has taken these people in for political advantage. To me, it's simple cause and effect, and democrats are the cause of this problem. That's another big discussion (and one I'm not sure I have the energy to engage in).

    peace!
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
  4. #264  
    Quote Originally Posted by semprini View Post
    I have to believe that there are people on the Left that are secretly asking themselves why they ran with this one.
    +1
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
  5. #265  
    Quote Originally Posted by KAM1138 View Post
    Well, why shouldn't one say something nice about those they disagree with? I disagree with many of President Obama's policies, but it doesn't mean I have to turn him into a caricature so I can justify my own hatred. That's what many people did with President Bush as I see it, and I told myself that I didn't want to be like them.

    KAM
    Agreed.

    You also have to admit Obama can be funny, too, especially on the topic we're talking about in this thread. When he complimented Congressman Paul Ryan (R-WI . . . IMHO, the sort of decent guy the GOP should be concentrating their energies on) on the fiscal plan he's put forth as putting in a sincere and serious effort (even though it's completely different from something Obama would propose), Obama quickly said, "Oh, sorry. I didn't mean to hurt you, man," i.e., his career, for being complimented by Obama. I wish there was more of the good-natured civility that Obama and Ryan possess, but it's in pretty short supply these days.
  6. #266  
    Quote Originally Posted by dianehelen View Post
    its still basically a sexist nation and world. If Palin looked like Susan Boyle, and everything on the inside was Palin, she would NEVER be where she is today..
    Yeah, being both ugly and stupid acting doesn't usually result in making friends in this world. Ugly people who are not stupid don't usually get a far shake, but Susan Boyle proved that the world is not as bad as you are saying it is.

    Quote Originally Posted by dianehelen View Post
    She gets the following from her all white, not a person of color, or ethnicity in that whole nut cake T bagger group, from her ability to create fear and hate..
    Now that's really sad. You didn't specifically say "men" but by saying "hot", you implied either men, lesbians, or both. Palin got where she was because she was a woman and because she fit the demographics the republicans thought they needed to beat Obama. Do you think Obama picked Biden because of his looks?
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
  7. #267  
    Quote Originally Posted by semprini View Post
    So, here we are 260 posts later, all because someone jotted a few words on their had as reminders in a speech.

    I love LOVE this thread and hope it keeps going. It's a perfect display of how utterly desperate the Left is. (And I can't help but laugh as I think about it again...) All because of notes on her palm...priceless!!

    I have to believe that there are people on the Left that are secretly asking themselves why they ran with this one.
    I stand by the point I made above. The ONLY reason this is an issue is because somebody saw Palin strangely looking at her hand when someone asked her some questions, and the ONLY reason anybody looked further is because Palin had painted herself into the corner of never being able to use Teleprompter or notes because she exploited the "Obama can't talk w/o a Teleprompter" b.s. She had just said it, even though SHE HAS REPEATEDLY USED TELEPROMPTERS IN THE PAST.

    This is the context for this whole stupid thing, and yeah, I agree it's stupid, but it began with the widespread, stupid claim that (a) Obama is somehow unusual in his use of a Teleprompter, and (b) that Obama can't put two words together without one. Both are obviously false, so when Palin decided to score points with those ridiculous claims, which she did, she appropriately opened herself up for ridicule.
  8. #268  
    Quote Originally Posted by sudoer View Post
    Yeah, being both ugly and stupid acting doesn't usually result in making friends in this world. Ugly people who are not stupid don't usually get a far shake, but Susan Boyle proved that the world is not as bad as you are saying it is.


    Now that's really sad. You didn't specifically say "men" but by saying "hot", you implied either men, lesbians, or both. Palin got where she was because she was a woman and because she fit the demographics the republicans thought they needed to beat Obama. Do you think Obama picked Biden because of his looks?
    Its not a fair world.. men's looks are generally not as high a factor as to where they can ascend without substance as women can.

    McCain would have never picked her, if she did not look as good as she does. He had to know she was emtpy and fairly stupid, and ill informed, but would show well, for his campaing. McCain is NOT stupid. He took a brilliant chance at something totally off the wall. Good thing for ALL of us, it did NOT pay off.
  9. #269  
    Quote Originally Posted by sudoer View Post
    ... Do you think Obama picked Biden because of his looks?
    Well, YEAH... Duh!!!
    "Brace yourself, you beautiful *****. I am about to **** you up with some truth!" - Kenny Powers

    "I don't mind paying taxes. With taxes, I purchase civilization."
    - H.L. Mencken
  10. #270  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenanator View Post
    Well, YEAH... Duh!!!
    Yeah, I thought about that after I hit send. He needed experience but not to be upstaged on his personal appeal.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
  11. #271  
    Quote Originally Posted by dianehelen View Post
    Its not a fair world.. men's looks are generally not as high a factor as to where they can ascend without substance as women can.
    Agreed, and I believe our maker has a special place in heaven for the poor, the downtrodden, and the ugly, and those marginalized here on Earth.

    Quote Originally Posted by dianehelen View Post
    McCain would have never picked her, if she did not look as good as she does. He had to know she was [empty] and fairly stupid, and ill informed, but would show well, for his [campaign]. McCain is NOT stupid. He took a brilliant chance at something totally off the wall. Good thing for ALL of us, it did NOT pay off.
    I agree that "McCain is NOT stupid" but I disagree that the choice was really his or due to any "brilliance" on his part. I can assure you McCain would never have picked her if he was not sinking as fast as he was in the polls. Her selection was a desperate attempt attempt by the republican establishment to find a way to right an otherwise sinking ship and it backfired worse than even they imagined was possible. If she had both beauty and brains, Obama would have been toast. (I voted for McCain in spite of Palin.) I just hope she the left can keep helping the republicans by painting Palin for the dolt that she is.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
  12. #272  
    Quote Originally Posted by KAM1138 View Post
    You seem to lack understanding of how things work. As it stands now, Democrats are in complete control of "bipartisanship" as they have complete control of the Legislative process. If they want to leave Republicans out in the cold, they have that power, and that's exactly what happened--specifically in the house, with them literally being locked out of meetings in some cases. The Senate to a somewhat lesser extent.

    The Republicans can be "bipartisan" in one way--simply agreeing with Democrats, but of course that isn't bipartisanship.

    Democrats control things now, and they are responsible, and they've chosen to try and force things through against the will of the public, and ignore anything Republicans have to say, so if someone is "crying" about bipartisanship, one should look to those in power--and that's the Democrats.

    KAM
    I exactly know what being bi-partisan is. The democrats tried for almost a year to be bi-partisan, even while the rights hatefueled propaganda machine was in full stride. There comes a point, when locking them out was the right thing to do. Which is the fault of the right that it ever had to happen that way.

    Also, they were never in complete control, I've talked about it before. The mythical 60 seats was just that, mythical. When half of your party is also in the pockets of the corporations, or they are what is now branded a moderate democrat, then you actually have no control. When you have to pay a senator's state for his or her vote, you aren't in control. The entire healthcare debate was sickening from both sides. But I have to say, escpecially from the right, and the teabagger republicans that pretend to be independent.
  13. #273  
    McCain would have never picked her, if she did not look as good as she does. He had to know she was [empty] and fairly stupid, and ill informed, but would show well, for his [campaign]. McCain is NOT stupid. He took a brilliant chance at something totally off the wall. Good thing for ALL of us, it did NOT pay off.
    Actually Mcain didnt pick her, he never even spoke to her until he called her to say he wanted her to run with him. Which I find amazing. She was just the rights answer to hilary, plain and simple.
  14. #274  


    Give this a watch. It's just her supporters. You know, it's these people that will help her run for presidency. These bright, informed individuals.
  15. #275  
    You know....this is all just another example of how democrats defend democrats and Republicans defend Republicans. It's fine for one group, but not the other. Like this issue with Obama's appointment being fillibustered by the Republicans. Well, Obama says he will try a strategy where he requests the appointment while the Senate is on recess....called a "recess appointment" (go figure, huh? ). Here is a very good explanation of recess appointments: Recess appointment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Well, the Republicans can't really complain since Reagan, and both Bush's did the same thing (Clinton did as well). Of course, the democrats were outraged when Bush did it and said it was unconstitutional and shouldn't be allowed. From the above referenced explanation, here is what Reed did to block Bush doing this:

    Starting in 2007, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid prevented any further recess appointments by Bush. A compromise was worked out for the August break, and Bush did not make any recess appointments. However, no agreement was reached for the two-week Thanksgiving break in November 2007, and as a result, Reid decided to keep the Senate in session by having pro forma sessions every three days. Prior to this, there had been speculation that James Holsinger would receive a recess appointment as U.S. surgeon general.[11] The Senate was also kept in session over the Christmas break as well as during 2008 breaks.[12][13] Hence, Bush was unable to make any further recess appointments during his presidency.

    Well, now, Reed and the bunch are saying it is perfectly fine. So....see how this works? It was bad when the Republicans did it, but it is okay when the democrats do it. If you go to Article II, Section 2 of The Constitution, it does appear to be allowed under The Constitution: The President shall have Power to fill up all Vacancies that may happen during the Recess of the Senate, by granting Commissions which shall expire at the End of their next Session.

    I would hope the Republicans don't challenge it and rise above it and hope the democrats will do likewise when we have a Republican President in 2013. However, something tells me they (Republicans) will try and challenge even though they thought it was fine under Prez Bush. Hopefully I'll be wrong on this.

    But you see how this works? I might add, I don't blame Obama for this, as it appears he is basically following The Constitution. Some feel this was only meant to be done for an emergency appointment or if the Senate wasn't meeting due to some extended recess. But, it clearly doesn't state that in The Constitution.

    Edit: Some say the fact that it reads "becomes vacant during the recess" means exactly that, it is only allowed if it becomes vacant during the recess, thus allowing the appointment due to an "emergency". I don't think this has been the case in the past or with the latest Obama appointment, so is open to interpretation.
    Last edited by clemgrad85; 02/10/2010 at 06:57 PM.
    PalmPilot, PalmIIIc, Treo 650, Pre, Pre 3, Nokia 1020, Lumia 950

    "It's good to be the King" - Mel Brooks, History of the World, Part 1

    "I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." General George S. Patton
  16. #276  
    Quote Originally Posted by semprini View Post
    So, here we are 260 posts later, all because someone jotted a few words on their had as reminders in a speech.

    I love LOVE this thread and hope it keeps going. It's a perfect display of how utterly desperate the Left is. (And I can't help but laugh as I think about it again...) All because of notes on her palm...priceless!!

    I have to believe that there are people on the Left that are secretly asking themselves why they ran with this one.
    hypocrisy my friend. When you guys harp nonstop about "teleprompters". I cant even imagine if it was Obama or Pelosi with the notes on their hand.

    Also, I cant help but wonder. Remember when bush'es house was busted sending out fake news clips (propaganda) to the media posing as associated press? And everyone ignored it. I just wonder what if Obama had done that. Its you that is desperate my friend.
  17. #277  
    Quote Originally Posted by redninja View Post
    hypocrisy my friend. When you guys harp nonstop about "teleprompters". I cant even imagine if it was Obama or Pelosi with the notes on their hand.

    Also, I cant help but wonder. Remember when bush'es house was busted sending out fake news clips (propaganda) to the media posing as associated press? And everyone ignored it. I just wonder what if Obama had done that. Its you that is desperate my friend.
    Hypocrisy is on both sides of the fence. I am at least willing to admit that, are you? See my post previous to yours above. We can go back and forth and back and forth but there are tons of examples of this....both parties will point the finger at the other party about doing something and then the next day do the same thing. Maybe a democrat has never written a note on his or her hand before, or maybe they were just never caught? Who knows, but I bet no one will be doing it again any time soon!
    PalmPilot, PalmIIIc, Treo 650, Pre, Pre 3, Nokia 1020, Lumia 950

    "It's good to be the King" - Mel Brooks, History of the World, Part 1

    "I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." General George S. Patton
  18. #278  
    Quote Originally Posted by KAM1138 View Post
    ... He complains about spending and what a problem it is, and then proposes massive budgets.

    KAM
    President Obama's $3.6 trillion fiscal year 2010 budget However, President Bush submitted a $3.1 trillion budget for FY 2009. For FY 2008, Bush submitted a $2.9 trillion budget. None of Bush's budgets included the wars or many other little "projects" he had going on, such as his handout to the pharmaceutical industry also known as "Medicare Part D"...
    "Brace yourself, you beautiful *****. I am about to **** you up with some truth!" - Kenny Powers

    "I don't mind paying taxes. With taxes, I purchase civilization."
    - H.L. Mencken
  19. #279  
    Quote Originally Posted by redninja View Post


    Give this a watch. It's just her supporters. You know, it's these people that will help her run for presidency. These bright, informed individuals.
    So what this is trying to say is that the average Palin supporter is ignorant about government. This is probably the case for any average American. (Think about the "J-walking" episodes that Leno does.)

    Do you really think if the interviewer did find people who answered intelligently, that he'd include those people in his video?

    Is there any documentation that this whole thing was not staged? I didn't see any pictures of Palin signing books.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
  20. #280  
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas View Post
    Well, I'm not sure the US moving towards the same system the Europeans have would drive the race to financial ruin. I mean our race wasn't driven to financial ruin when the Europeans did so.




    Because the majority of it is basic and straightforward and has already been put together like ending pre-existing conditions. Highlight that as a keeper. Stuff that both sides agree should be taken out, rip it out. Want to add some tort reform sprinkle it in there.

    But not going to kill it. Reconciliation is the only leverage left.
    LOL.. thats funny. Basic and straightforward. Please link us to this new version 'cause the one I read was anything but.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson

Posting Permissions