Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    I was surprised when I read an story over on engadget, and was looking forward to who might be saying what, but comments have been shut down.

We're turning comments off for a bit
    By Joshua Topolsky posted Feb 2nd 2010 11:25AM

...guess it got more than a little nasty over there. :-)

Anyone here know any juicy details?
    The comments keep me coming back to the same article many times per day. Today has been a little disappointing with out the Engadget comments.
    Someone said something about apple, then someone said something about that persons mother. Then someone shot that person with a cyber arrow. The Interweb PD is investigating it as an attempted avataricide. The victims avatar was quickly sent to photoshop and its condition is still unknown...
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    Engadget, without comments, ...is like the Dead Zone. very boring.
    The Apple haters were getting out of control over there. They seemed to feel that Engadget was posting to may iPad related stories and felt that personally insulting Joshua and friends was the best way to express that.

As an appeasement (but more likely a big F-U) to all the folks sensitive to Apple posts, Engadget posted a link to allow you to view the blog without seeing any Apple content at all. This really ticked off the folks who hate all things Apple and they really started to freak out (likely because they would no longer have anything to complain about).

While I'm no huge Apple fan I do realize that an Apple Tablet device was one of the most anticipated/rumored/talked about pieces of gadgetry of the last few years. Despite anyone's personal opinion of the iPad it did deserve some attention.
    Last edited by ryleyinstl; 02/03/2010 at 08:47 AM.
    Global Posts
    483 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    The Apple haters were getting out of control over there. They seemed to feel that Engadget was posting to may iPad related stories and felt that personally insulting Joshua and friends was the best way to express that.

As an appeasement (but more likely a big F-U) to all the folks sensitive to Apple posts, Engadget posted a link to allow you to view the blog without seeing any Apple content at all. This really ticked off the folks who hate all things Apple and they really started to freak out (likely because they would no longer have anything to complain about).

While I'm no huge Apple fan I do realize that an Apple Tablet device was one of the most anticipated/rumored/talked about pieces of gadgetry of the last few years. Despite anyone's personal opinion of the iPad it did deserve some attention.
    Actually, the no-Apple feed of the site really highlighted how much they were slipping Apple into stories not even Apple related, for a few days anyways. The no-Apple feed simply weeded out posts/stories with "Apple" as a tag. So when they posted a story about a different companies tablet and right away in the article compared it to the iPad people flipped in the comments. This happened on a few stories. The complainers had some legit complaints IMO, but they kept hammering at it and of course this is the end result.

It's all pretty funny to me, and I have noticed Engadget seems to have tamed the Apple comparisons and references iin stories about non-Apple products the last couple of days as well.
    Well I think we should cut Engadget some slack considering they are really the only tech site that seems to be given webOS a fair shake. Everyone else seems to think there are really only two types of smartphones out there android and iphone.