Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    It is a free app, thats only purpose is to win the most downloaded free app prize from Palm.

They plan to take the $100,000 and donate to the Haiti relief fund. If this app won it would be an awesome showing from the Palm Community.

In Summary: Download it, help some people in need!
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    It could be a scam. I am a little hesitant about this app.
    Developer of:

-------------------------------------
    Discuss my apps in my developer forum
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev1000000 View Post
    It could be a scam. I am a little hesitant about this app.
    True, but I like to think people are better than that. It would be nice if they could give some association or something.

I like this idea. Even if it doesn't happen.

EDIT: I'm not seeing this anywhere, is the name "This App Saves Lives"?
    Palm M100 => Treo 755P => Treo 800w => Treo 755p => Palm Pre => No more Palm/HP products
    I'll hope this app gets removed from the App Catalog asap!
    A short WHOIS lookup to thisappsaveslives.info lookup and it's clear that this is scam.

Name Server: ns1.iwant2bastar.com
    Also the Developer homepage has no info, nor the support page. I think thats scam and i'll hope that gets removed from the catalog. If this one stays in the catalog, I think we have 20 of those apps next week...

[Edit]Sorry can't post links, till my post count incr. to 10. So no direct link possible...
    Last edited by pogeypre; 02/01/2010 at 11:06 AM.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by nojok3 View Post
    I like this idea. Even if it doesn't happen.

EDIT: I'm not seeing this anywhere, is the name "This App Saves Lives"?
    Yes. Search for "This App," it will be the second app that shows up.

Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    It is a free app, thats only purpose is to win the most downloaded free app prize from Palm.

They plan to take the $100,000 and donate to the Haiti relief fund. If this app won it would be an awesome showing from the Palm Community.

In Summary: Download it, help some people in need!

Not to sound like an ignorant you-know-what but I am tired of this "donate to Haiti" stuff. I've donated. My neighbors have donated. My work has donated. We all donated - with or without people asking us to do so. The timing of the quake and this competition is unfortunate but at the same time there are freelancers, etc out there that create some of these apps that really do need the money.

How do you justify letting all those iPhone App developers make out on hundreds and thousands of dollars on a fart app and not allow what could potentially be a very useful app that is deserving of the $100,000 under Palm webOS?

I'm sorry, but I hope that the $100,000 goes to a real app and not get dumped to the Haiti relief. There needs to be a line drawn regarding donating money or joining a "group" to support "something". I get solicited on my way to work, on the subway, going into a mall, going out of the mall, when i log into facebook, when I log into a news site, etc, etc. It needs to stop somewhere.

Also - how do you know if this "charity app" isn't for a religious organization? Cause you know...beside Red Cross, religious orgs will strip the majority of that $100K before Haiti even sees any of that money.

People shouldn't have to react asap whenever someone says "donate" and "Haiti". Think people. Think. Really look at what the purpose of this competition is for.
    Last edited by chiliu78; 02/01/2010 at 09:58 AM.
    Have you guys even seen the site? No contact info - nothing. It has a red background and full of text telling you what the app, etc. A 7 yr old can make this site. Its an obvious scam.

This App Saves Lives - Help For Haiti
    yeah i'm not downloading.
    pass
    I think this caused a fairly major crash.
    Laissez Faire
    Just sent this to the Palm Developer Group:

I would like to file a formal complaint regarding the app "This Apps Saves Lives" by the developer "HFH". The developer claims that if he receives the most app downloads, he will donate the $100,000 winnings to the Haiti Relief. I see some several issues with his statement:

1. There is no way to contact this person directly. His site "http://www.thisappsaveslives.info/" includes no links or contact info.
    2. His statement "This App Saves Lives" is a simple Palm PrPrPr $application$ $aimed$ $at$ $winning$ $Palm$'$s$ $$100$,$000$ $most$-$downloaded$ $prize$, $between$ $Feb$ $1$, $2010$ $and$ $May$ $31$, $2010$.&$quot$; $only$ $pertains$ $to$ $the$ $$100$,$000$. $If$ $he$ $wins$ $$10$,$000$ $or$ $$1$,$000$, $it$'$s$ $a$ $greenlight$ $for$ $him$ $to$ $keep$ $that$ $money$ $if$ $he$ $does$ $not$ $get$ $the$ $$100$,$000$.
    3. This could potentially be for a religious organization.

I feel as a consumer and potential app developer that this competition is to breed better products (apps). "Charity Apps" should be excluded from this competition - especially when this app (when downloaded) has no function. It's an icon - which I do believe does go against one of your criteria of what an actual app is.
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    Yeah if it was that kid on youtube who has that account JumbaFund... then yeah, I would download this app considering he donates legitimately by showing his followers him donating the money...

But this guy is anonymous and could easily be a scammer.
    I don't think this is a great idea. This is not what the purpose of the competition is for....
    That site is pretty sketchy. There is no information on who they are or how they intend to donate this money. I have to believe they are a scam. It sucks to think this if I am wrong because if their intentions are sincere, then this is a great idea. Unforunately in todays world, people love to use tragedies like this for profit.

As far what chili78 said, ouch. I'm sorry this earthquake and the suffering it has caused has become such a burden while you travel on subways, go to malls, logging into facebook, or logging into news sites. I suggest contacting these organizations and tell them to stop raising money cause your whole corner of the earth has already donated. I'm with you on your weariness of scams which I unfortunately think this is but I can't think of this tragedy as just a newscycle or fad that needs to go away.
    I see scam written all over this... if this were done by the Red Cross, or some other well known organization - with good links from the real sites for such - than I might give it a download.

As it stands, I'd rather donate on my own terms, to groups I believe will do the most good.
    Follow me on teh Twitterz
    Checkout the whois for the site, it's registered to a single person in the UK. The thing that sticks out to me the most is that the name servers are from some **** site.
    yeh, and i only know it takes a second to click and download, but why help somebody get a free $100,000 when we have no clue who the guy/company is and how they are going to spend it?

Plus, it takes a contest for them just to make an application. Real donation app would come in despite some potential for winning.

Dont download it folks (although over 600 did)
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    I would not have downloaded this crap anyway. I think people creating apps are the ones who deserve this. People put time and effort into apps that we use often for free. So take a look at the whois info for that domain. I like the name servers at the very bottom the best. Really want to give this person money?

Domain ID31325484-LRMS
    Domain Name:THISAPPSAVESLIVES.INFO
    Created On:28-Jan-2010 11:52:45 UTC
    Last Updated On:28-Jan-2010 11:52:45 UTC
    Expiration Date:28-Jan-2011 11:52:45 UTC
    Sponsoring Registrar:GoDaddy.com Inc. (R171-LRMS)
    Registrant ID:CR41157483
    Registrant Name:Jane Forester
    Registrant Organization:
    Registrant Street1:Jarodale House
    Registrant Street2:Gregory Boulevard
    Registrant Street3:
    Registrant City:Nottingham
    Registrant State/Province:Notts
    Registrant Postal Code:NG7 6LB
    Registrant Country:GB
    Registrant Phone:+1.159525133
    Registrant Phone Ext.:
    Registrant FAX:
    Registrant FAX Ext.:
    Registrant Email:
    Admin ID:CR41157485
    Admin Name:Jane Forester
    Admin Organization:
    Admin Street1:Jarodale House
    Admin Street2:Gregory Boulevard
    Admin Street3:
    Admin City:Nottingham
    Admin State/Province:Notts
    Admin Postal Code:NG7 6LB
    Admin Country:GB
    Admin Phone:+1.159525133
    Admin Phone Ext.:
    Admin FAX:
    Admin FAX Ext.:
    Admin Email:
    Billing ID:CR41157486
    Billing Name:Jane Forester
    Billing Organization:
    Billing Street1:Jarodale House
    Billing Street2:Gregory Boulevard
    Billing Street3:
    Billing City:Nottingham
    Billing State/Province:Notts
    Billing Postal Code:NG7 6LB
    Billing Country:GB
    Billing Phone:+1.159525133
    Billing Phone Ext.:
    Billing FAX:
    Billing FAX Ext.:
    Billing Email:
    Tech ID:CR41157484
    Tech Name:Jane Forester
    Tech Organization:
    Tech Street1:Jarodale House
    Tech Street2:Gregory Boulevard
    Tech Street3:
    Tech City:Nottingham
    Tech State/Province:Notts
    Tech Postal Code:NG7 6LB
    Tech Country:GB
    Tech Phone:+1.159525133
    Tech Phone Ext.:
    Tech FAX:
    Tech FAX Ext.:
    Tech Email:
    Name Server:NS1.IWANT2BASTAR.COM
    Name Server:NS2.IWANT2BASTAR.COM
    Last edited by pogeypre; 02/01/2010 at 11:07 AM.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    It also goes against the spirit of the Palm $1M challenge. That is, to create really great apps for WebOS. However noble a cause this may be, it's not a really great app.
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast