Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 121
  1. #101  
    Why? Both IMO are forms of giving.


    Seriously though.... Your presuming to judge alot about someone you don't know because they make money off of adult entertainment. How puritanical of you
  2. #102  
    Quote Originally Posted by alpinejag View Post
    I'm just not comfortable letting someone end up with the money who runs p0rn sites. Philanthropy just seems like an odd next step.
    I work for a web host who makes most of our money off p0rn sites. I can understand how you would feel that way, but not everyone who makes money off of p0rn is a complete scumbag. There are some nice people out there, and a lot of people running the sites don't even make the content they buy it or promote it to make their money.

    One of our largest customers who I won't mention ended up selling their site for a substantial amount of money and now they run a christian video site. So weirder things have happened.

    EDIT: I like how I can't even say the word p0rn on this forum, like somehow mentioning it will force people to view it.
  3. #103  
    p0rn aside, I just feel its highly unethical (not saying people don't do it anyways) to capitalize off of a tragedy. I can understand people want to get ahead and all, but if I were the developer and I won, and didn't give the money away I know I wouldn't be able to sleep at night.

    But because there is no specific $ amount pledged to donate, the developer can give ten bucks away to fulfill their promise to the people who downloaded the app.
  4. #104  
    Quote Originally Posted by babydaddy75 View Post
    This thread should be studied in an ethics or sociology course. Two sides both believing they are right with little to no evidence to support either stance.
    Personally I downloaded it without even considerring it could be a scam. If it is and I was wrong I can't say I would lose sleep because some other developer didn't win. I just can't seem to muster up much sympathy for the plight of the poor destitute software developer.
    If people read the evidence against this app they would know it is a scam. Downloading it won't do any harm?! This app uses far too much resources - if this app is malware and makes your phone a zombie posting loads of p0rn spam to your contact list or mines your data for identity theft you'll certainly not sleep when things bad.

    I find this pathetic that Palm don't vet apps that go int the catalogue and how they haven't released a statement about it or removed it from the catalog. I haven't download a single app since this app was put in the catlog for having no faith that any app in there is malware. Another palmface incident this is turning out to be.
  5. #105  
    OK, so I contacted the BBC to confirm what I already knew: -

    I asked them if this app has ever featured on BBC Radio 2 like the banner on the website claims. I got a reply from a Phil Hughes: -

    Ben

    I'm unable to track a Radio 2programme that might have mentioned this so we have no idea if it's a scam. Obviously beware.
    *
    I will be asking our legal people to get the Radio 2 branding removed.
    *
    Many thanks for sending us the link.
    *
    Regards
    *
    *
    *
    *
    *
    Phil Hughes*|*Editor Programmes
    BBC*Radio 2 |*Room*229 Western House
    99 Great Portland Street*| London*W1A 1AA
    *

    From: phil.hughes
    Sent: 16 February 2010 10:05
    To: Radio2 Enquiries
    Subject: BBC Radio 2 - General Enquiry Contact Us Submission

    Sender's message:There is an application for the Palm Pre smartphone that has a website with a banner that claims to have been featured on BBC Radio 2: App Saves Lives - Help For Haiti. We think this is a scam. Please can you confirm if this app has been on radio 2?
    Palm need to remove the app from the catalog before they need to get their legal people invovled too.
  6. #106  
    I have tried and tried to get in contact with the right people over at Palm, but they don't seem to care. So I sent a message to them through www.PlanetFeedBack.com, because they do reply back to messages sent through there.

    This is what I sent and maybe others should do the same.


    There is an app in the Palm App Store called "This App Saves Lives". The app (Claims) to be offered through the British Red Cross. The problem is; That it is a SCAM! I have personally contacted the British Red Cross and they flat-out told me the app is a scam, and that they were going to contact Palm to have it removed. Many users and developers have contacted Palm, but the app is still there. The point of "This App Saves Lives", is that the developer says He/She will donate the money they win; if the app is downloaded a set-amount of times. I guess Palm has some contest where they will give a deserving developer money if their app can hit over 100,000 downloads. The contest is suppose to reward developers that work really hard, and spend countless hours making these apps for the WebOS. While it's a nice idea to want and help others, the reward should go to a REAL developer. So not only is the app a SCAM, but if the money were awarded; it would alienate the true developers that have been supporting Palm over the years.

    So far I have tried my best to make contact with Palm, but no one really seems to care. Now I will send an email through this site, and hopefully hear back from someone.

    The Reasons Why "This App Saves Lives" Is A Scam?
    1. The British Red Cross Have Said The App Is A FRAUD!
    2. The WhoIs Info For The Site Has NO MENTION Of The Red Cross.
    3. Most Scam-Sites Use Domain Names With ".Info" In Them.
    4. There Is NO Contact Info On The Developers Site: Just A Link To The British Red Cross.
    5. The Developer Has Now Started Posting Updates To The Site Defending Themselves As Not Being A Scam. Real charities Don't Have To Defend Themselves.
    6. Bias Feedback & Reviews. Anytime A Negative Comment Or Review Is Posted For That App; Within No Time There Is Some Comment And/Or Review Bashing The Negative Comments. Scammers Will Go Out Of Their Way To Make Any Negative Feedback Look Stupid. It's A Scammer And Spammer Move. Companies And Charities Don't Have The Time Or Money To Defend Each And Every Comment. And If You Actually Look At The Positive Comments Bashing The Negative Comments; They Are From THE SAME PEOPLE! They Just Keep Updating Their Review; Which Bumps It Back Up To The Very Top. So It's The SAME PEOPLE Who Keep Defending The App.


    I could go on, but it's pointless. Palm needs to remove this app from the App Store as soon as possible! While I don't think the Scammer ever really thought they would get the money; they have now started a trend. And if Palm doesn't deal with this soon; then no other "Legitimate" Charity app will be downloaded again. Now I know Palm Is Suppose to review these apps, but even the employee that work at Palm that I have spoken with about this app; say they don't trust the developer and that they have not been able to make contact. But since Palm just passes-off customers to different departments; then the app remains. And Since Palm is just about Maximizing profits and making any customer care interaction as cheap as possible; then customers are also left trying to explain that an app is a scam; to an employee that just keeps asking for a credit card in order to offer any level of Tech Support. There is an app in the Palm App Store called "This App Saves Lives". The app (Claims) to be offered through the British Red Cross. The problem is; That it is a SCAM! I have personally contacted the British Red Cross and they flat-out told me the app is a scam, and that they were going to contact Palm to have it removed. Many users and developers have contacted Palm, but the app is still there. The point of "This App Saves Lives", is that the developer says He/She will donate the money they win; if the app is downloaded a set-amount of times. I guess Palm has some contest where they will give a deserving developer money if their app can hit over 100,000 downloads. The contest is suppose to reward developers that work really hard, and spend countless hours making these apps for the WebOS. While it's a nice idea to want and help others, the reward should go to a REAL developer. So not only is the app a SCAM, but if the money were awarded; it would alienate the true developers that have been supporting Palm over the years.
    e to make contact. But since Palm just passes-off customers to different departments; then the app remains. And Since Palm is just about Maximizing profits and making any customer care interaction as cheap as possible; then customers are also left trying to explain that an app is a scam; to an employee that just keeps asking for a credit card in order to offer any level of Tech Support.


    [/B]
    Last edited by the2ndflood; 02/17/2010 at 12:37 AM.
  7. #107  
    LOL. Your my hero
  8. #108  
    So let me see if I understand you. Your argument that they are spammers is that when you and others attack them with circumstantial at best evidence they update the site to defend their app? Wow, quite to smoking gun J Edgar
  9. #109  
    For all the people so concerned about it being a scam:

    Keep in mind that the contest goes by most downloads anyway. The app's only been downloaded 8000 times.

    Meanwhile, Comics, which came out later than that, has 20,000 downloads. Card Ace Blackjack has 18,000 downloads. Slacker Radio has 45,000 downloads. Even Let's Golf, which costs $6, has 9,000 downloads. I don't really think you have anything to worry about. Seems people prefer to download apps that actually do something.

    And then, with regard to the claims of it being malware: Palm actively checks the coding of any game that gets accepted into the App Catalog. I highly doubt you have anything to worry about. While it's true, web-release apps are only checked by an automated system, App Catalog apps are checked manually.
  10. #110  
    Quote Originally Posted by babydaddy75 View Post
    ...with circumstantial at best evidence they...
    There is soo much non circumstantial evidence that this is a scam it beggars belief anyone can still doubt: -

    1. the2ndflood has contacted the British Red Cross and they confirm that the developer has not contacted them what so ever, like it claims on the apps website
    2. The developer claims the app has been on BBC radio 2. BBC confirm this is not the case. I am keeping in touch with the BBC and they have told me that their lawyers are closing in on the developer as of yesterday!
    3. Palm refuse to post a public comment on any of their websites/blogs to confirm that they 100% believe this app is genuine and safe


    Infact, about the only person that is still publicly endorsing this app is babydaddy75 - are you actually the developer of this application??
  11. #111  
    I publicly endorse nothing. Which coincidentally is what I know of programming as well. I do however know alot about proving a viewpoint and that's why I respond to this thread.....you are attacking this app and developer on zero proof his intentions are not what he claims them to be. He said he intended to donate it Red Cross. Not that he was the red cross or was affiliated with it in any way. He said it was discussed on BBC radio 2..... Not that it was endorsed by them in any way. It could have been something as simple as a caller (maybe even him) to the radio mentioning it on air once. I think his app was a nice idea that clearly took little time or effort and will not succeed but is nice none the less and you crucify him for it.
  12. #112  
    Quote Originally Posted by babydaddy75 View Post
    I publicly endorse nothing. Which coincidentally is what I know of programming as well. I do however know alot about proving a viewpoint and that's why I respond to this thread.....you are attacking this app and developer on zero proof his intentions
    I personally would not call her (yes, it's a she) a "developer". Just saying....
  13. #113  
    Quote Originally Posted by babydaddy75 View Post
    I publicly endorse nothing. Which coincidentally is what I know of programming as well. I do however know alot about proving a viewpoint and that's why I respond to this thread.....you are attacking this app and developer on zero proof his intentions are not what he claims them to be. He said he intended to donate it Red Cross. Not that he was the red cross or was affiliated with it in any way. He said it was discussed on BBC radio 2..... Not that it was endorsed by them in any way. It could have been something as simple as a caller (maybe even him) to the radio mentioning it on air once. I think his app was a nice idea that clearly took little time or effort and will not succeed but is nice none the less and you crucify him for it.
    you have absolute zero evidence that it is not scam, yet you are crucifying the2ndflood. Come up with a reason why this "charity" is legitimate besides "they said so", then maybe you will have a leg to stand on
  14. #114  
    The2ndflood gives to charity because it make him/her happy. Talk about selfless.

    Come on.

    Let's not get all upset about it.

    Has anyone brought up the fact that the application claims to save lives? That's almost as ridiculous as donating to charities to make yourself feel better.
  15. #115  
    Quote Originally Posted by beerbatteredben View Post
    Has anyone brought up the fact that the application claims to save lives? That's almost as ridiculous as donating to charities to make yourself feel better.
    hence why this app is stupid, on top of being a scam.
  16. Micael's Avatar
    Posts
    736 Posts
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    #116  
    Quote Originally Posted by kbritt31 View Post
    hence why this app is stupid, on top of being a scam.
    So you gonna download and use the app? Tell the truth now. Come on, we know you want to!

    BTW, I love your puppy pic / icon. Is that a chihuahua? I have 2 long hairs that rule my universe!
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
  17. #117  
    thanks. yep purebred chi. shes a ferocious little thing...i've always wanted a long haired, they seem awesome lol
  18. #118  
    I have no evidence that Earthworm Jim is not a scam either. Your point?
  19. #119  
    Quote Originally Posted by babydaddy75 View Post
    I have no evidence that Earthworm Jim is not a scam either. Your point?
    ...um....good comeback?
  20. #120  
    lol seriously this app is a joke how can anyone possible convince themselves that this app is at least 2% real i mean come on this screams scam theres no info anywhere about anything dealing with the app you cant even contact the developer. countless ppl have said they have talked to the ppl the developer clams to have connections with and surprise surprise these connections don't have anything to do with the developer. what kind of app has no purpose i don't know about you but im sure an official would have at least some type of news feed. seriously it takes a special kind of person to convince themselves that this app save lives, just look at the name lmao, is actually legit.
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Posting Permissions