Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 121
  1. #81  
    I think it was in the main Pre section originally... I don't know why it was moved. :\

    The DEV has posted a new update on the app site:

    "Received a wonderfully encouraging email from the guys at Palm after I sent them an update keeping them in the loop about my progress!

    They are fully aware of the 'lashing out' by a small section of the developer community, but told me to stick with it and that the situation could ‘definitely be turned around’.

    in fact, they commended This App Saves Lives on what they thought 'was a very clever use of the Hot Apps program!'

    Keeping this blog up-to-date was also a Palm suggestion.

    I’m still waiting to hear back from the BritishRedCross after having a great telephone conversation with Claire in donation support; ordinarily they only issue a ‘Donation Receipt’ after making a donation (which won’t really silence the cynics) but said they we’re ‘sure they could come up with something to add credibility!’

    Will keep you all posted."

    Jane.
    I would love if the "guys at Palm" who sent this letter to the DEV would confirm. If it's true than great... I have to say I'm still not convinced. Might just be my cynical nature shining through.

    There is still no mention of this whatsoever anywhere on the Redcross UK site either.
    Follow me on teh Twitterz
  2. #82  
    Quote Originally Posted by benOS View Post
    What the heck is this doing in the Off Topic section
    It was in the main section but got moved. I have no clue why. It's definitely not "off topic".
  3. #83  
    Quote Originally Posted by Spader View Post
    There is still no mention of this whatsoever anywhere on the Redcross UK site either.
    I definitely don't want to give the impression that I support or do not support this app, but I do want to say that when someone donates money to a charity, the charity doesn't have to post on their website that they received (or will receive) a donation.
    Sprint Palm Pre - WebOS 2.1 > Sprint HTC Arrive
  4. #84  
    Of course not, but in the case of a 4 month long contest, you'd think there might be a mention if for no other reason than to build support for the app. This isn't a personal donation of a couple hundred dollars.

    The fact is, not only is it not mentioned on their site, but they have actually denied knowledge of it at all. I find it hard to believe that the DEV - if serious - waited until there was a question about the validity of the app before contacting the charity they were supposedly donating to all along. If it were me, that would have been the first thing I did, to ensure I would be able to use the Redcross name to support the effort.

    And if it were my charity that were to benifit from this, I damn sure would put a link to the thing on my front page for the world to see.
    Follow me on teh Twitterz
  5. vandelay's Avatar
    Posts
    55 Posts
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    #85  
    Quote Originally Posted by the2ndflood View Post
    Has anyone actually dissected this app? I was watching the app in JSTOP and the memory usage would go up; even when the timer wasn't running. I know Palm monitors what apps we have and what we do with them, but is it possible that this app is spyware? I don't know much about the WebOS; so that is why I am asking the pros on here.
    Has anyone else checked this because I have had my Pre for a bit over a month now, and have always had many cards open, but about a day after downloading this app, I received the too many cards open error for the first time, and this was the only open app. I only have 3 patches installed on my pre; improved file names for camera, really silent ringer switch, and power button to hangup, so I'm pretty sure that wasn't it. Before I blame this app too quickly, I had previously been resetting my Pre every night, but recently have just been leaving it on all the time, and have been installing plenty of apps.

    Also, I think this app may have started something which could turn out to be a major problem in the app catalog and this developer contest as I am now seeing other "charity" apps in the catalog.
  6. #86  
    Quote Originally Posted by vandelay View Post
    Has anyone else checked this because I have had my Pre for a bit over a month now, and have always had many cards open, but about a day after downloading this app, I received the too many cards open error for the first time, and this was the only open app. I only have 3 patches installed on my pre; improved file names for camera, really silent ringer switch, and power button to hangup, so I'm pretty sure that wasn't it. Before I blame this app too quickly, I had previously been resetting my Pre every night, but recently have just been leaving it on all the time, and have been installing plenty of apps.

    Also, I think this app may have started something which could turn out to be a major problem in the app catalog and this developer contest as I am now seeing other "charity" apps in the catalog.
    I would like for someone to check this app out. Check the code and see if the app is set to do anything else.

    And your right about charity apps. But now people are going to wonder if whether itals a scam or not. Criminals (ALWAYS) ruin things for the rest of us! They take anything that is good and mess it up. So now when I see charity apps; I'm going to be in a mindset where I am worried about getting scammed.
  7. #87  
    Do people really believe this?

    Wow I'm amazed people already forgot about when relief funds were given to the Red Cross for care of victims of the 9/11 bombings of the World Trade Center. Money was given specifically for victims and the Red Cross sent part of the funds overseas to support other efforts. If I remember right, the controversy got so bad that the Red Cross had to change their donation information to specify how they distribute funds and allow for specific donations designated for local support and service only.

    Non-profit organizations are not completely non-profit....someone runs those organizations and get paid to manage the affairs and handle the organizations. So who knows how this This App Saves Lives is going to work. Sorry burst your bubble, but there are no guarantees.
  8. #88  
    Quote Originally Posted by sorli View Post
    Do people really believe this?

    Wow I'm amazed people already forgot about when relief funds were given to the Red Cross for care of victims of the 9/11 bombings of the World Trade Center. Money was given specifically for victims and the Red Cross sent part of the funds overseas to support other efforts. If I remember right, the controversy got so bad that the Red Cross had to change their donation information to specify how they distribute funds and allow for specific donations designated for local support and service only.

    Non-profit organizations are not completely non-profit....someone runs those organizations and get paid to manage the affairs and handle the organizations. So who knows how this This App Saves Lives is going to work. Sorry burst your bubble, but there are no guarantees.
    The difference between those and this app; is that the Red Cross isn't a scam! I don't understand why so many people are defending this app? Yeah, the Red Cross had to pay for telephone upgrades and travel cost, but the bulk of the 911 donations went to helping people. Not 1 Penny is going to be used to help anyone, if this app actually managed to get the reward (Which Won't Happen). No one can justify this app. A scam is a pathetic thing to do to people. But scammers do it, because they can. They are cowardly criminals who steal from people without them even knowing it.

    So there is no comparison to the Red Cross and this Scam-App. Not even close.
  9. #89  
    I am not going to pretend to care about Haiti, or anyone in Haiti. If you do, help out however you can/want. If you're going to make assumptions about the intentions of a person who may or may not be trying to help, think about being more positive. That, or go live in the woods alone.

    Those are the only two options.

    I would rather whatever prize money go to possibly helping people than a developer. Haiti wouldn't be my first choice, but that doesn't matter.
  10. #90  
    Quote Originally Posted by beerbatteredben View Post
    I am not going to pretend to care about Haiti, or anyone in Haiti. If you do, help out however you can/want. If you're going to make assumptions about the intentions of a person who may or may not be trying to help, think about being more positive. That, or go live in the woods alone.
    Those are the only two options
    I would rather whatever prize money go to possibly helping people than a developer. Haiti wouldn't be my first choice, but that doesn't matter.
    Whatever. I'm sick of people trying to defend this app. They never bring facts or details; they just seem bias. It's not hard to make new accounts and posts comments for or against something. But defending an app that has been 100% to be a scam; is pointless. Why should we all be positive? Because (Maybe) (Some) of the money (Might) end up somewhere to help (Someone)? That's like saying "I'm Not Going To Hide My Wallet, Because If Someone Did Steal It; They Must Be Poor And Stole My Money To Feed Kids." this debate is pointless! It's a SCAM! There is no need for People/(Person) to keep defending this app. Why not focus on preventing this from happening again?
  11. #91  
    I'm not defending anything. I am saying don't just say something is a scam because your life sucks.


    That is the only possible reason.

    I also maintain that I don't care about Haiti, or anyone in Haiti.
  12. #92  
    Quote Originally Posted by beerbatteredben View Post
    I'm not defending anything. I am saying don't just say something is a scam because your life sucks.
    That is the only possible reason.
    I also maintain that I don't care about Haiti, or anyone in Haiti.
    Who said my life sucks? Why do you feel the need to make personal attacks? And have you actually read my posts? I didn't magically come out and start saying the app was a scam; I did research and posted a bunch of it right on this site. It's better if you read the forum thread, before you go off saying something that makes you look ignorant.

    And if you don't care about Haiti; then why are you even posting here? This issue doesn't matter to you; so why post anything at all? And why do you keep posting that you don't care? That isn't a good thing. Is it a badge of honor for you to not care about people in trouble?
    Last edited by the2ndflood; 02/12/2010 at 06:17 PM.
  13. vandelay's Avatar
    Posts
    55 Posts
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    #93  
    Quote Originally Posted by beerbatteredben View Post
    I'm not defending anything. I am saying don't just say something is a scam because your life sucks.


    That is the only possible reason.

    I also maintain that I don't care about Haiti, or anyone in Haiti.
    So you're against this app because you don't care about Haiti? I can only pray that people will take pity on you should you ever need help. My main issue with the app is that there is no assurance of whether or not it's a scam, and to a lesser degree, the creator is like Robin Hood, but instead of stealing from the rich, they found a loop hole in this contest to easily grab money from from a developer who has worked hard making an app for this contest.
  14. #94  
    Quote Originally Posted by vandelay View Post
    So you're against this app because you don't care about Haiti? I can only pray that people will take pity on you should you ever need help. My main issue with the app is that there is no assurance of whether or not it's a scam, and to a lesser degree, the creator is like Robin Hood, but instead of stealing from the rich, they found a loop hole in this contest to easily grab money from from a developer who has worked hard making an app for this contest.
    I feel how you feel. I'm sure at least most people have been in some horrible way and just hoped someone would come help them. So it's a good thing to helps those in need. Maybe one day Beerbatteredben will have one of those moments. He will then understand why it's a great thing that there is people that do care. Plus, at least for me; I like helping out in any way I can. It makes me happy. I don't do it because of a set event; I help when I can.
  15. #95  
    I am not for or against this application.

    I am against helping the people of Haiti.

    Say what you want, you are probably as selfish as everyone else. I assume everyone is selfish just as some of you assume that this app is a scam. Because you didn't go out of your way to prove otherwise.

    If you want to possibly help some poor people in Haiti, download the app. If you want a developer to (for some reason) win prize money, download their app.

    P.S. Who helps other people to make themselves feel better?

    "the2ndflood"

    Try talking up doing it to make the people you are helping have better lives. I realize your intent was not to seem selfish (mine is) but saying "I like helping out in any way I can. It makes me happy" sounds a little lame.
  16. #96  
    Quote Originally Posted by beerbatteredben View Post
    I am not for or against this application.

    I am against helping the people of Haiti.

    Say what you want, you are probably as selfish as everyone else. I assume everyone is selfish just as some of you assume that this app is a scam. Because you didn't go out of your way to prove otherwise.
    If you want to possibly help some poor people in Haiti, download the app. If you want a developer to (for some reason) win prize money, download their app.
    P.S. Who helps other people to make themselves feel better?
    "the2ndflood"
    Try talking up doing it to make the people you are helping have better lives. I realize your intent was not to seem selfish (mine is) but saying "I like helping out in any way I can. It makes me happy" sounds a little lame.
    Blah blah. I'm not even reading what your saying. I know the Internet can make people feel powerful. They think because they are hiding behind a computer screen; that manners don't need to be used. You can think and feel whatever you want. It doesn't bother me. I will ussume your really young, maybe a teen; so your not grown up enough to understand the world yet. I don't really care either way. So keep saying what you want and keep making yourself look ever more ignorant. From now on I will just ignore your posts for what they are. Broken thoughts of a child; pushed by ignorance and backup up someone making personal attacks to people they would otherwise not be dumb enough to mess with in the real world.

    So, keep talking! I'm not paying anymore attention. And note: I didn't attack you. For some reason you choose to go off on me by saying my life sucked. Pointless nonsense.
  17. #97  
    27

    You meant to use you're a lot of the times you said your. Don't play games with me.

    Thanks for helping others for your own benefit. You're a real peach.

    Manners don't matter anymore. Deal with it.
  18. #98  
    when I feel the need to donate, I do it on my own instead of downloading an app hoping the developer will

    A. win
    and
    B. give this money (however much??) away.

    if you want to support a charity, do it. if not, that's fine too.

    but this app is a total scam, for several obvious reasons
  19. #99  
    This thread should be studied in an ethics or sociology course. Two sides both believing they are right with little to no evidence to support either stance.
    Personally I downloaded it without even considerring it could be a scam. If it is and I was wrong I can't say I would lose sleep because some other developer didn't win. I just can't seem to muster up much sympathy for the plight of the poor destitute software developer.
  20. #100  
    Quote Originally Posted by babydaddy75 View Post
    This thread should be studied in an ethics or sociology course. Two sides both believing they are right with little to no evidence to support either stance.
    Personally I downloaded it without even considerring it could be a scam. If it is and I was wrong I can't say I would lose sleep because some other developer didn't win. I just can't seem to muster up much sympathy for the plight of the poor destitute software developer.
    I'm just not comfortable letting someone end up with the money who runs p0rn sites. Philanthropy just seems like an odd next step.
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Posting Permissions