Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 121
  1. #61  
    Did you send them back a link to the app's homepage?

    I included it in my email to them, but I haven't gotten a reply yet.
    Follow me on teh Twitterz
  2. #62  
    Yeah. And pretty much everything fake uses the domain router .Info . There is some valid sites that use .Info, but that site isn't one of them. I have also seen a lot of P.R-Posts; where when something negative is said about the app & site; someone posts a responce making those other comments seem stupid. It's a tactic used by scammer & spammers all over the web.


    If I'm wrong, then I will take back my comments. But I doubt I will have to. That app is a scam and if Palm doesn't rake it down soon, then users will never trust another "Charity" app again. Which would be yet another good thing ruined by criminals!
  3. #63  
    Quote Originally Posted by Spader View Post
    Did you send them back a link to the app's homepage?

    I included it in my email to them, but I haven't gotten a reply yet.
    I sent them the link and Palm's phone numbers. I can post those here if I'm allowed, but they are not difficult to find.
  4. Pardoe's Avatar
    Posts
    200 Posts
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    #64  
    whoever made this app is smart but stupid at the same time
    its a smart idea to win a lot of money to go for something like haiti
    but stupid for making it so unreal and ****ty :]
    Once you are in Hell, Only the Devil can help you

    Click To See My Themes

    If you have any theme requests email me at Pardoe@live.com
  5. #65  
    Quote Originally Posted by Pardoe View Post
    whoever made this app is smart but stupid at the same time
    its a smart idea to win a lot of money to go for something like haiti
    but stupid for making it so unreal and ****ty :]


    I don't think the scammer wanted to get any money. I think they wanted to see how far they could push the idea, before it came apart. People that create viruses don't normally create them to steal from people. They like having a negative impact on people and they feed on that. They are human trash!
  6. thesmj's Avatar
    Posts
    135 Posts
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    #66  
    Quote Originally Posted by Pardoe View Post
    whoever made this app is smart but stupid at the same time
    its a smart idea to win a lot of money to go for something like haiti
    but stupid for making it so unreal and ****ty :]

    I think its a great idea. Clearly he/she didn't need to put much effort at all into this scam and its working pretty well. It's a shame there are so many people who are easily fooled by something like this, but as the saying goes "You can't fix stupid."

    If this app wins, and Palm really does give this person the money, I'll be pretty ****ed. Not that I can actually do anything about it, but at the very least I'll lose a whole lot of respect for Palm to just let it happen.
  7. #67  
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSmJ View Post
    I think its a great idea. Clearly he/she didn't need to put much effort at all into this scam and its working pretty well. It's a shame there are so many people who are easily fooled by something like this, but as the saying goes "You can't fix stupid."

    If this app wins, and Palm really does give this person the money, I'll be pretty ****ed. Not that I can actually do anything about it, but at the very least I'll lose a whole lot of respect for Palm to just let it happen.

    The thing is though; there is no possible way of the scammer getting the money and getting away with not spending it in the way posted. The person would need to provide some kind of tax ID- and they would need to report the money to whichever government; so they could get their tax fees from the winnings. Not to mention they need a valid bank account, because Palm isn't going to handover cash. I honestly don't think the scammer wants the money; they want to create an uproar that ends up on the news. They have to know they would never get the money without any strings coming with it. The scammer just wants to see how far they can push this whole thing; so they can brag about it to other Hackers/Scammers.

    They will NEVER get the money! And if they did; they would goto jail. And after they get out of jail they would be sued and owe court-costs for the rest of their life.
    Last edited by the2ndflood; 02/03/2010 at 08:37 PM. Reason: Stupid Palm Pre Won't Let Me Write ID- Without It Being Changed.
  8. thesmj's Avatar
    Posts
    135 Posts
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    #68  
    I really hope you're right. The pessemist in me believes he'll get away with it, though. Palm'll stick to their guns with "Well he got the most downloads and his app is within our rules, so we are giving him the money." After the guy gets the money, he'll vanish.

    TBH I don't know which bothers me more; the guy who is perpetrating the scam or the fact that so many people are falling for it simply because it has the words "donate", "Haiti", and "Relief" in the description. If this guy was charging a dollar per download and simply pledging to donate the proceeds I'd just roll my eyes, but this could actually have a bad effect on the WebOS platform itself and effect all of us if it's not handled correctly.
  9. #69  
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSmJ View Post
    I really hope you're right. The pessemist in me believes he'll get away with it, though. Palm'll stick to their guns with "Well he got the most downloads and his app is within our rules, so we are giving him the money." After the guy gets the money, he'll vanish.

    TBH I don't know which bothers me more; the guy who is perpetrating the scam or the fact that so many people are falling for it simply because it has the words "donate", "Haiti", and "Relief" in the description. If this guy was charging a dollar per download and simply pledging to donate the proceeds I'd just roll my eyes, but this could actually have a bad effect on the WebOS platform itself and effect all of us if it's not handled correctly.
    Yeah I thought about the effects on the WebOS. That some Apple or Google fanatic might have created this scam to make Palm look stupid. But Palm doesn't have to pay anything. The contest rules always have loop-holes in them. If you misspell your name, there is contests that will (Void) your win.
    Companies don't like parting with any amount of money. So I can't imagine Palm having a celebration with the media there, at some trade show; just to have the winner turn out to be a scammer. So the person won't get a dime, but if Palm sits on their ***** for months not doing anything about this; that is going to be mega bad for them. It's upto Palm now. That should be watching out for us and prove it by deleting that app. But it hasn't happen so far.
  10. #70  
    If you think its a scam then don't download the application. Does it steal your personal data or force you to actually spend any money?

    Download some other apps instead. They should at least make the main screen have some kind of buttons that link to methods to actually donate your own money. I think since it does nothing people are a bit more skeptical.
  11. #71  
    Quote Originally Posted by joshewah View Post
    If you think its a scam then don't download the application. Does it steal your personal data or force you to actually spend any money?

    Download some other apps instead. They should at least make the main screen have some kind of buttons that link to methods to actually donate your own money. I think since it does nothing people are a bit more skeptical.

    People are skeptical because there isn't any proof of the app being valid. The Whois info doesn't addup. The British Red Cross says they have no part in it. The web site doesn't go into enough details of how the money would be spent. And a real charity donation site doesn't need to defend itself in detail, of how it is not a scam. But you are missing the bigger issue. 1- People will not trust ANY charity app if this is proven to be a scam. 2- It gives false hope to people thinking this app is going to help raise more money to help Haiti. 3- If the money is actually handed out by Palm; then the reward would go to some scammer, and not to some developer that spent countless hours fine-tuning their own apps. So while you don't see a threat; other people do. A scam is a scam and it can't be justified in any way.
  12. #72  
    Quote Originally Posted by the2ndflood View Post
    That is is 100% a scam! I emailed the British Red Cross (The Only Valid Link I Could Find On That App Page) and this is what I was told.


    (((ME))) Hello,

    There is currently an app in the Palm App Store, that is claiming if the app is downloaded over 200,000 times; that the money given to them by Palm will beused to help people in Haiti. Is this actually true? The app is called "This App Saves Lives".

    Thanks,
    ******

    ++++

    (((BRITISH RED CROSS)))

    Dear ******
    *
    This isn't an app that the British Red Cross are involved in, if it is claiming to be raising money on are behalf then please could you send us the link to it so that we can contact the Palm App Store to rectify this. However if it is raising money for a different charity, then we couldn't comment as to whether this is genuine or not. I would suggest that you contact the Palm store directly to report this so that they can investigate it further if needed. Apologies that I couldn't be of more help.
    *
    Kind regards,
    *
    *
    ********
    *
    Digital Fundraising
    British Red Cross

    Hey man, good work. Did you forward that email to the Palm Development Team? I am sure they are more than happy to take this. The guy's name is "Chuq".
  13. #73  
    Quote Originally Posted by chiliu78 View Post
    Hey man, good work. Did you forward that email to the Palm Development Team? I am sure they are more than happy to take this. The guy's name is "Chuq".
    Thanks! No I didn't forward; I sent the message to Palm through the App Store. Can you please give me the details on how to forward these things to the support team? You can send me a private message if you don't want the info posted here.
  14. #74  
    Has anyone actually dissected this app? I was watching the app in JSTOP and the memory usage would go up; even when the timer wasn't running. I know Palm monitors what apps we have and what we do with them, but is it possible that this app is spyware? I don't know much about the WebOS; so that is why I am asking the pros on here.
  15. #75  
    On the Palm Dev forum Chuq (admin) said they had contacted the app developer. So they are at least looking into it and are aware there might be an issue.
  16. #76  
    Quote Originally Posted by alpinejag View Post
    On the Palm Dev forum Chuq (admin) said they had contacted the app developer. So they are at least looking into it and are aware there might be an issue.
    Hopefully they take it down soon.
  17. #77  
    Ok, this is highly alarming!

    I don't know what worries me more: someone using a national disaster to steal money or Palm not giving a damn about all the hard working developers and the safety of its customers.

    This is a scam: -

    * The name servers point to a **** site
    * The 'charitable individual' has registered the domain under a business address
    * The charity mentioned denies all links to the app
    * I highly doubt BBC radio 2 would even have heard of the Palm Pre
    * The website has no contact details
    * The name is highly suspect: Jane Forester the domain address is right on top of the Forest Recreation Ground
    * The developer has developed apps under a different name

    Like others have said, they can't be after the money themselves because they would never be able to get it, unless they are utterly stupid.

    So, I think the most plausible reason is to plant a trojan for identity theft or to use the phone as a zombie for sending email spam.

    On the Palm developer website it talks all about apps passing guidelines and how they will thoughly test all apps for quality and safety. This app seems to have had no checks done on it what so ever. This opens up the app catlog to trojans, which have access to customers data and customers contact's data. I am now very weary of downloading any app from the catalog. Palm, either remove the app or prove the doubters wrong and post an entry on your blog to assure customers this app is safe and legitimate
  18. #78  
    someone should repost in the main pre forums. People hardly view the off topic section and this needs a heck of a lot more attention than it's getting
  19. #79  
    Quote Originally Posted by kbritt31 View Post
    someone should repost in the main pre forums. People hardly view the off topic section and this needs a heck of a lot more attention than it's getting
    What the heck is this doing in the Off Topic section
  20. #80  
    yea it should probably be in the webos apps section
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Posting Permissions