Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    The site has been updated to say this:

""I would first off like to thank the hundreds of folk who have taken the time and effort to write to me and show support for what I'm trying to achieve; it really is very much appreciated.

Secondly, I would like to address a particular question which has appeared in several emails and has featured on one or two internet forums, as well as some of the reviews in the Palm App Catalogue:

'How do I know this isn't a scam?'

Unfortunately, the only response I can offer is: 'I'm afraid you don't' - in the same way as you don't know if Simon Cowell's charity record is a scam or not.

The only assurance I can offer is from the bottom of my heart that 'This App Saves Lives' is completely genuine.

It would take a particular type of person to use the suffering of a nation for their own profit, and I can safely say I am not that kind of despicable person.

'This App Saves Lives' was borne out of a desire to do something, and to do something on a grande scale - it allows all of us to play a part, no matter how tiny, is bringing relief to a country which is crying out for assistance.

My final word is for all the cynics who have decided, without a shred of evidence, that this endeavour is not genuinely designed for the benefit of the Haitian people: perhaps your energy would be better spent on actually doing something to help rather than wasting your time trying to thwart the efforts of those who are.

To everyone who has downloaded, thank you so much."

Jane Forester."

I'm sorry but referencing emails and forums and saying "it's genuine" doesn't make it anymore real.

You know what? I'm gonna walk onto Jeopardy and say "Give me the easiest questions(answers)" because I want to donate my winnings to Haiti. Sorry but you don't expose something like this through a competition that is not meant for donating. It's more or less narcissistic if you ask me.
    I just sent this to the developer of the "This App Will Save Lives" app (icon):

"You should be ashamed of yourself. This is a very poor way of exposing a community - the webOS community of waiting to breed better applications for an infant operating system and you are going to use a natural disaster to justify people downloading this completely useless app that has no function.

Yes, you want to donate the $100,000 to the Haiti cause. I applaud you - but in reality, there are other ways of raising $100,000 without undermining the original intent of this competition. In order for people to receive money to donate, they have to register with an organization and be "official". Instead, you registered with the Palm Development group and used that organization as your backbone to donate this money. Couldn't your resources be allocated to an actual organization that does charity work? In reality, you could have easily walked into any competition that has a monetary reward - say...a game show and say "Give me the easiest questions and obstacles because if I win, I will donate all the money to Haiti". It is the same thing. You are undermining the full purpose of not just the competition but people that actually do put their heart and soul into programming and spends many many man hours and money to do so. But instead, they get sidelined by someone pleading to download theirs so they can donate for a natural disaster that is still fresh in our minds. This is equivalent to media scare tactics and you have injected this urgency into a place that is not warranted, needed or welcomed.

And to sum up this email - you are a complete and total narcissist. Believe it or not, if you win this competition, it's not Palm or Haiti that will get the "wow, you are great" attention - it will be you. And then when you're interviewed, you will say "it wasn't for me, it was for the Haitians". Will you then include "I was able to beat all other programmers that does this for a living - some even freelancers. They never had a chance especially with the Haiti disaster fresh in everyone's minds".

There is a rule for ethics. What you are doing is certainly not ethical. If you want to go to heaven, get the money without cheating - because in essence, you are cheating. Think about it.
    "
    Quote Originally Posted by chiliu78 View Post
    Thing is, he stated that only the $100,000 will be donated. He doesn't mention the $10,000 or $1000 so basically (and this is only an educated guess), he's not looking for the #1 spot. He just wants enough downloads to get some type of reward. Hell, I'd settle for $10K as well!

But seriously, Palm, if you're reading this - delete the app. That one "delete" button will save you a lot of face - from the consumers, investors and media. I mean seriously...if the media got a hold of this after the person runs off with the $100K, how are you going to handle that debacle?
    church
    seems like this would be a PRPRPR $nightmare$ $for$ $Palm$ $is$ $that$ $scenario$ $happened$
    Sorry for all the posts but I am very passionate about this because I think this is very wrong. I do volunteer work and work at a Children's Hospital. I care about people. I care about people that are suffering in Haiti. But the reality is, this is just not right. It's unethical for someone to swoop in here to potentially get (any) reward just by putting "Haiti" in an app description. It is cheating and there's no other way around that word - cheating.

There is a time and place for charity and this is not one of them. I will continue to contact Palm an the Palm Developer Team about this even if I have to do it alone.

FYI - the app is at over 4000 downloads. It's only been released several days. I'm sure it's breaking some kind of record at this point.
    That message on their site makes me more skeptical, not less. :\

If I were doing something like this the first thing I would do is contact the charity I intended to donate to and let them know what I was doing. Then I would ask for their permission to use their name in my efforts, also that would give us some recourse to go to this charitable organization and say "hey, has this person really contacted and pledged to donate the winnings of this contest".

Saying "just believe me" is completely and totally insufficient.

I'll just donate to Haiti in my way, and continue to download free apps that actually have some purpose to support the generally amazing DEVs we have for this platform.
    Follow me on teh Twitterz
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Has anyone actually considered the fact that it may have simply been a poor decision by a well intentioned person? (Don't bother answering. It was rhetorical.)
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spader View Post
    That message on their site makes me more skeptical, not less. :\

If I were doing something like this the first thing I would do is contact the charity I intended to donate to and let them know what I was doing. Then I would ask for their permission to use their name in my efforts, also that would give us some recourse to go to this charitable organization and say "hey, has this person really contacted and pledged to donate the winnings of this contest".

Saying "just believe me" is completely and totally insufficient.

I'll just donate to Haiti in my way, and continue to download free apps that actually have some purpose to support the generally amazing DEVs we have for this platform.

What's even more odd is that instead of making it a paid app and say "I will donate all profits for each download to Haiti" (ie. $1 app), the author insist on winning the $100K.
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    Has anyone actually considered the fact that it may have simply been a poor decision by a well intentioned person? (Don't bother answering. It was rhetorical.)
    Ill answer anyways.

If it is, then so be it. Let Palm deal with the money, and let Palm send the money on behalf of the webOS community and the developer. Don't let the money fall into the hands of the developer. This is a win-win scenario, unless the developer had bad intentions, which is still win-win for the rest of us.
    so.. If everyone has a problem lets create a fund somehow, sure enough people here know the ways to do this, set it up to be a donation plate for Rod's already hurting servers and Jason's busy school schedule, no sleepin, always programming with only the reward of thanks and hoorahs.

so, any takers? I'm sure we can exceed the downloads from that other app in no time.

would be nice to see preware running some serious freaking servers.. (webos internals in general)

wouldn't he have to pay taxes on that money? Can we create enough media storm and force Palms hand in the donation? (ie donating the reward themselves, or matching it... If it wins) that's one way Palm could cover their tracks....
    Here's some additional information I dug up:

The developer's name is a "Dr Jane Forester" from the UK. Apparently this awesome doctor also created the app called "TipandStrip.Me". You can find this app in the Palm App Catalog. If you go to the support or developer website, it takes you to a **** site.

Yea...this just all sounds very legit. Man...I'm totally convinced.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiliu78 View Post
    Sorry for all the posts but I am very passionate about this because I think this is very wrong. I do volunteer work and work at a Children's Hospital. I care about people. I care about people that are suffering in Haiti. But the reality is, this is just not right. It's unethical for someone to swoop in here to potentially get (any) reward just by putting "Haiti" in an app description. It is cheating and there's no other way around that word - cheating.

There is a time and place for charity and this is not one of them. I will continue to contact Palm an the Palm Developer Team about this even if I have to do it alone.

FYI - the app is at over 4000 downloads. It's only been released several days. I'm sure it's breaking some kind of record at this point.
    yeh thats terrible
    theres a place where u can like go see the top 10,20 downloads or something?
    It's too bad this app didn't have a lot of first aid instructions, then it might have been useful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    It is a free app, thats only purpose is to win the most downloaded free app prize from Palm.

They plan to take the $100,000 and donate to the Haiti relief fund. If this app won it would be an awesome showing from the Palm Community.

In Summary: Download it, help some people in need!
    did you start this app complex or do you know these people that are doing this app thing??
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    i guess this means that this app is a fraud then ???
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    yup it is!!
    well i hope sprint or palm or whoever sees this lol
    Last edited by Shadavis08; 02/02/2010 at 08:02 PM.
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    well i hope sprint sees this lol
    Just pointing out Sprint has nothing to do with it.
    Just checked, and the website now has a link to the British Red Cross. So I sent off an email to the general contact and the fraud contact team for the BRC.

I searched the BRC site for any info about this App, and found nothing.

I'll report back if I receive a reply.
    Follow me on teh Twitterz
    I am very very passionate about helping my fellow man. And do so, from donating to stopping on the highway to help an old couple change a tire. But in this instance, I find this inappropriate. I don't think this should be in this contest, at all. But, it doesn't matter what we think, as many pre owners have no idea about coding, homebrewing,precentral or even about this cool as boots contest from palm. Therefore, i think many people will just see it as "oh this is great, I'm helping send haiti 100 grand", then turn around and dog out a free app for not enough features, having no clue what they are doing. Palm should pull it, as it isn't an actual an app, but an icon. But terribly, this it's the app that will probably win. Maybe we should hit the palm forums, and post about it, might reach a broader audience that way, I dont know.
    That is is 100% a scam! I emailed the British Red Cross (The Only Valid Link I Could Find On That App Page) and this is what I was told.

(((ME))) Hello,

There is currently an app in the Palm App Store, that is claiming if the app is downloaded over 200,000 times; that the money given to them by Palm will beused to help people in Haiti. Is this actually true? The app is called "This App Saves Lives".

Thanks,

++++

(((BRITISH RED CROSS)))

Dear ******
    This isn't an app that the British Red Cross are involved in, if it is claiming to be raising money on are behalf then please could you send us the link to it so that we can contact the Palm App Store to rectify this. However if it is raising money for a different charity, then we couldn't comment as to whether this is genuine or not. I would suggest that you contact the Palm store directly to report this so that they can investigate it further if needed. Apologies that I couldn't be of more help.
    Kind regards,
    Digital Fundraising
    British Red Cross
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast