Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
    As far what chili78 said, ouch. I'm sorry this earthquake and the suffering it has caused has become such a burden while you travel on subways, go to malls, logging into facebook, or logging into news sites. I suggest contacting these organizations and tell them to stop raising money cause your whole corner of the earth has already donated. I'm with you on your weariness of scams which I unfortunately think this is but I can't think of this tragedy as just a newscycle or fad that needs to go away.
    Just thought this needed to be said again.
    Nice idea but if it succeeds in gaining the top download spot, then there really isn't any incentive or point for devs to actually try and make decent apps for webOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by marq22 View Post
    It's odd that people will take a quote and spread it like it's a negative. I am not burdened by anything. I am not burdened by people asking for money. I have made my contributions to all natural disasters ever since I've had a 40 hour per week job and I continue to contribute to society on a monetary and non-monetary standpoint.

The fact of the matter is - and this is the point I was trying to get across is that people are using every single way to ask for money. Exposing a "hot app" competition is extreme. I am "burdened" by people asking for money for an organization without proof - say...on the subway. Yes, then I am burdened. If you are an actual member of whatever organization you say you are, I want to see proof. Don't give me a magazine and say "A donation would be greatly appreciated" when in fact, I can go to a local restaurant and pick up the same magazine for free. That is a burden. I would give money to a actual homeless person laying on the ground than to give money to a well dressed fool trying to get money for something that is obviously free.

And as an FYI - the homeless people that build homes out of boxes around the corner from my apartment is awesome. My car was stuck in the snow so (and I'm not trying to be funny) the one homeless guy used one of these boxes, flattened it and put it under my one tire. I got out of the snow. In addition to me giving this guy a crate of bottled water - even before he helped me out, I do stop by to see how he is doing. So if you thought I was "burdened" in some way, then I am sorry you misread my last post.

And to quote something and then say "Just needed this to be said again" is evident that quoting with an answer with little substance is not just a waste of time for others but potentially a "burden" within itself.
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    I just think Palm/WebOs needs to step-in, and intervene.

Keep the application up.
    Lets say the developer wins, let Palm donate ALL the money to Haiti, and not let the developer have it, just in case a theres a "mishap" with the money, and his wallet gets fatter.
    The whois info for THISAPPSAVESLIVES.INFO and the p0rn site that it's name servers point to are the same. Just a little shady that this person is behind both these sites.
    I received a response from the Palm Developer Team regarding this app. Here is their response:

"I wanted to confirm getting the complaint. At this point, though, the app conforms to the rules of the contest."
    I just responded to them with this:

"Even if the app does absolutely nothing? It's an icon. That's it. If this app is legit, what is there to prevent me from telling people to download my app (icon that does nothing) and tell them that I will pick in random, 3 people that downloaded this app and the 4 of us will get a split of $25,000? There's an obvious loophole to this contest but I'm afraid that you folks are unable to close them now since the contest already started. Shame.

I've posted a forum discussion about this. Seems like some people have uncovered several things regarding the web address. http://forums.precentral.net/off-top...ves-lives.html

Also, the site now says "As Featured on BBC Radio2" on the upper right hand corner. There are no references to this planned charity event on their site: BBC - Homepage
    Quote Originally Posted by chiliu78 View Post
    I received a response from the Palm Developer Team regarding this app. Here is their response:

"I wanted to confirm getting the complaint. At this point, though, the app conforms to the rules of the contest."
    Palm is right, the contest is only for the amount of downloads an app has in the time period not that the app serves a purpose or actually does anything.

I'm against the app 100% (and not only because i'm a developer). Yes Haiti may need help, but by the time the contest ends I don't think the prize will help much. Also I do not believe the developer of the app is going to actually donate the money.
    I did notice they updated their site sometime today but it still lacks any information that would prove it to be legit. They even added a 'As featured on BBC Radio 2' but that still gives no proof if they are going to follow through.
    The website name server also doesn't help the validity of their claims, it just doesn't make sense to me.

Palm should step in and do something about this app but... if people continue to download it they are only increasing the chance of the app actually winning the contest per the rules.. which are simply the amount of downloads the app received during the contest timeframe.
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
    As far what chili78 said, ouch. I'm sorry this earthquake and the suffering it has caused has become such a burden while you travel on subways, go to malls, logging into facebook, or logging into news sites. I suggest contacting these organizations and tell them to stop raising money cause your whole corner of the earth has already donated. I'm with you on your weariness of scams which I unfortunately think this is but I can't think of this tragedy as just a newscycle or fad that needs to go away.
    Indeed this needed to be said again! This isn't just to you chili, but to any and all who is tired of hearing, donate to Haiti.

I am in total agreement that this seems to be a scam and I do not plan to download this "app" . I also understand any disagreement with this app being a part of the contest, but I am in agreement with anyone who legitimately wants to help fund a charity.
    Quote Originally Posted by dawm View Post
    Palm is right, the contest is only for the amount of downloads an app has in the time period not that the app serves a purpose or actually does anything.
    Section 4, point 1 of the contest rules:

"The application provides value to the user."
    I'm sure it's a scam. If not, he only has to expose the organization who is going to receive the funds, and the exact quantity he's going to donate, and the human organization to prove that's true. It's worth nothing, and it's a public statement of the destination of the funds.

People downloading it "in case it is true" only are putting money in the bag of a heartless person who takes advantage of a human disaster. Perhaps they should think better if these attitudes must be rewarded.
    Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    Section 4, point 1 of the contest rules:

"The application provides value to the user."
    That's a very broad meaning though. Some people that downloaded this "app" may say that it provided them value. Where is this quote by the way? I've looked around the rules, etc and can't seem to find it. Link?
    Last response from the Palm Developer Team:

"It presumes everyone is going to download it. I tend to presume our users are smart enough to do the right thing, and I’m usually correct about that, at least so far. Bad apps won’t win."

My response:

"For the love of webOS, I hope you're right."
    Even though it may not be the response you want... I find it heartening that you're getting a real response from a real person, not some obviously pre-written form mailing.

I have to give that much to Palm at least. haha
    Follow me on teh Twitterz
    I have made my own donation to Haiti and I don't need an app that tricks me physiologically so that they can get my money. This contest is for great apps that brings good value to the user. Now, if the winner donates all or part of the money they win to the people of Haiti, then that's another thing. Palm needs to delete this app from the catalog.
    Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    It is a free app, thats only purpose is to win the most downloaded free app prize from Palm.

They plan to take the $100,000 and donate to the Haiti relief fund. If this app won it would be an awesome showing from the Palm Community.

In Summary: Download it, help some people in need!
    No.

The whole point of the contest is to get developers on our platform creating something, I dunno, USEFUL to OUR community.

There are places for donating to charities. This contest is not it.
    Quote Originally Posted by marq22 View Post
    I just thought the ridiculousness of that sentiment needed to be said again.
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    Scam !!
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    I don't think this is a very good idea, and I won't be downloading it... the whole purpose of this competition is to promote good, quality apps for the phone, not trying to wring money out of Palm to send to Haiti. I'm all for helping people in Haiti, but this isn't a good way. As others have also said, you've got no guarantee or proof that the money would go there anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by stubbs View Post
    I don't think this is a very good idea, and I won't be downloading it... the whole purpose of this competition is to promote good, quality apps for the phone, not trying to wring money out of Palm to send to Haiti. I'm all for helping people in Haiti, but this isn't a good way. As others have also said, you've got no guarantee or proof that the money would go there anyway.

Thing is, he stated that only the $100,000 will be donated. He doesn't mention the $10,000 or $1000 so basically (and this is only an educated guess), he's not looking for the #1 spot. He just wants enough downloads to get some type of reward. Hell, I'd settle for $10K as well!

But seriously, Palm, if you're reading this - delete the app. That one "delete" button will save you a lot of face - from the consumers, investors and media. I mean seriously...if the media got a hold of this after the person runs off with the $100K, how are you going to handle that debacle?
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast