1.    #1  
    I have read alot of past threads here on MAC, but i stil have a few questions and know there is a big Apple community here.

Also would like to thank everyone ahead of time for the help.

ok i currenty have an HP 850mhz 30GB 128ram running windows crashME
    I mainly use my pc for Music creation (Acid Pro 3.0), School work and spreadsheets, and internet. (i may need to run quickbooks on it too)
    I am looking into the powerbook G4 550mhz.

I am just going to ask my main question now, and BOTHER with others later if needed.

1. Is the 550Mhz G4 Alot faster than may current PC?

2. I know there is Outlook express for OSX but can I transfer all my current files from my PC to Mac Outlook without a hitch?

3. As for Music Creation i need an awesome yet easy to use piece of software? (I wish acid pro can be used on mac)

4. ANY BAD THINGS ABOUT THE POWERBOOK? i know all the good.

5. how big of a pain, and loss of money, is it going to be to transfer my software to mac comptable

6. also is Docs to Go, Avantgo, Vindigo going to work with OfficeX.
    ( I have a "cracked" version of Docs to Go)

7. Is it really hard and painfull to tranfer my files to mac at first?

8. can i use my printer on MAC? its a HP DeskJet 6xx (i know it's a cheap one but it works!!!!!)

I guess thats it for now.

thanks everyone ahead of time!!!!
    Last edited by culo77; 04/14/2002 at 02:35 AM.
    Hey baby before we start do you mind if we use my M505?
    No not for that!!!!!!!!!!
    Use it to reffer to PalmaSutra, silly???????
    Originally posted by culo77
    7. Is it really hard and painfull to tranfer my files to mac at first?

actually, no. Since the Mac can read PC formatted disks without any additional software, if you have (or have access to) equivalent software on the Mac,
    you should be golden.

8. can i use my printer on MAC? its a HP DeskJet 6xx (i know it's a cheap one but it works!!!!!)
    this page has info about Mac OS9 drivers. I didn't hunt further to find out about OSX, but hopefully that will help you!

Good luck ... and welcome to the wild world of Macs!
    The light at the end of your tunnel has been disconnected due to non-payment. Please remit funds immediately for restoration of hope.
    1. Is the 550Mhz G4 Alot faster than may current PC?
    It all depends on what you are using the machine for, but, generally speaking, I'd say their evenly matched.

2. I know there is Outlook express for OSX but can I transfer all my current files from my PC to Mac Outlook without a hitch?
    Shouldn't be a problem at all...especially with OSX.

3. As for Music Creation i need an awesome yet easy to use piece of software? (I wish acid pro can be used on mac)
    Do a few searched on macintouch.com I know a few music apps are quite good for the Mac.

Are you getting an iBook or the TiBook? The iBook has some limitatins.

5. how big of a pain, and loss of money, is it going to be to transfer my software to mac comptable
    You will have to purchase new versions of all your software. Some companies allow for cross-platform upgrades, while a rare few actually give you both versions (mac and PC) with the purchase price.

Is it really hard and painfull to tranfer my files to mac at first?
    I think you asked that already, but no, it isn't hard. Stick both machines on the network, connect to the PC from the MAC, and go.

OSX supports a lot of stuff out of the box, but you'd best check with HP.
    We're all naked if you turn us inside out.
    -David Byrne
  4.    #4  
    Man to this day i am still kicking myself for not buying a MAC two years ago!!!!!!!!!

It was just i had to use my bestbuy credit card to buy a computer.

Thanks everyone for the input!!!!!

I can always use more INFO
    Originally posted by culo77
    Actually, I believe you'll probably be better off with a mac. I don't know of any titles, but doing a search on google and a apple's site should get you started.

I've heard some negative things about compatibility with the extra wide screen, but James would be much better able to comment. I've also heard it's not as sturdy as the ibook.

Depends on what you have. If you need office and exact name brands of what you currently have, quite a bit. If you can get by with Appleworks (which I enjoy more than either ms office or staroffice) and compatibly programs, you should be able to keep the costs down quite a bit.

I don't believe that would be a problem since my former deskjet 648c had mac drivers. As has been said before, it depends on hp.
    Last edited by dick-richardson; 04/15/2002 at 10:54 AM.
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
    Originally posted by ****-richardson
    Actually, I believe you'll probably be better off with a mac. I don't know of any titles, but doing a search on google and a apple's site should get you started. [...]
    Just in case no one's aware, Acid is one of the flat out coolest pieces of music software that exists. It's a loop-based sequencer (which in and of itself isn't that impressive). The key, though, is that it works with .wav files and can tweak the pitch and tempo interactively to match whatever you choose. Is there something on the Mac that can do that? I think that's the root of culo's question for those who might know the Mac side, but not be familiar with Acid itself. Given the reputation of the Mac on the music side of things, I'd be surprised if there isn't something available, but I'm sure culo would appreciate a specific software title if possible.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Originally posted by Toby
    The key, though, is that it works with .wav files and can tweak the pitch and tempo interactively to match whatever you choose.
    Nice!
    I'd be surprised if there isn't something available, but I'm sure culo would appreciate a specific software title if possible.
    I'll hunt.
    -Joshua
    -Joshua
    Originally posted by ****-richardson
    Try

http://namm.harmony-central.com/SNAM...R/Phrazer.html
    I think that should make his day.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
  10.    #10  
    Thanks **** and toby.....

now that apple will be MINE (insert evil laugh)hahahahhahaahhahhah
    I have to admit that the Macs keep tempting me back (I had Macintoshes between 1984 and 1990, but switched to a PC after that because I started developing Windows software.) There's a lot there to like; if it wasn't for the cost of switching to Mac software (and after 10+ years, I've got a big investment in Windows software), I'd seriously think about it.

One thing that concerned me: how big of an issue will Palm OS conduits be? I.e., of the various custom Palm apps you have on your PDA, how many of them have Mac equivalents?

Running through the list of my conduits, I think the following have no Mac equivalents (please correct me if I'm wrong):

- The MSImport/Export conduit for the Clie
    - ThinkDB DBSync
    - Secret! (though there are a lot of apps that are equivalent --
    one of them may have a "Secret! Desktop" for the Mac)

I think that these DO have Mac conduits:

- BackupBuddy
    - WordSmith

One's I'm not sure of:

- QuickSheets
    - AvantGo (Again, there are alternatives -- see GSR13's comments on iSilo)
    - SplashMoney
    Jeff Meyer

"And he died like he lived: with his mouth wide open."
    I am growing more and more fond of the Mac. OS-X is really nice and the overall look and feel of the Macs is great.

As for MSImport, this can be achieved through the use of The Missing Sync, from MarkSpace Software. While I have not personally used it, many people have and love it. If I used a Mac all the time with my CLIE, this would be a must, just for the MSImport Feature.

For the record, I did post in a thread concerning AvantGo and the fact that I no longer use it, but I have never used ISilo. There were several folks who do use it though. The thread can be found here and was started by dietrichbohn, who has apparently changed his name to septimus????

Uh, did I miss something on the name change?
    In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. JOHN 14:2
    Nevermind the NameChange thing. I found the thread where dietrichbohn became septimus.

Amazing, a guy goes on vacation for a week and suddenly people lose their identity.
    In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. JOHN 14:2
    Originally posted by GSR13
    [...] Amazing, a guy goes on vacation for a week and suddenly people lose their identity.
    "I lost my job recently. Well, I didn't really _lose_ it. I still know where it is. It's just that when I go there, there's this new guy doing it." - Bobcat
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    originally posted by culo77
    Outlook Express version 5.0.3. is not native in OSX. It will run in the classic "shell" under OSX, but you should have no problem transferring files from PC to Mac. I don't know if MS plans to make OE OSX native but I hope so since the Mail.app that apple provides with OSX is inferior to Outlook Express IMHO. Entourage X is the "OS X" Microsoft e-mail client for POP and IMAP mail servers.
    Originally posted by GSR13
    Nevermind the NameChange thing. I found the thread where dietrichbohn became septimus.
    Sorry -- I attributed dietrichbohn's solution to you.

Basically, any good/helpful advice I find on VC I attribute to you. 85% of the time I'm correct.
    Jeff Meyer

"And he died like he lived: with his mouth wide open."