1.    #1  
    I love how politicians of both sides like to speak of spending "freezes", or "cuts" as if this means that they are being fiscally responsible.

Let's break this down in order to lay bare the the political feces behind the flowery words.

First, Freezes....

Now, when I think of a freeze, I think of Winter. It gets cold and metabolism slows, and growth slows. The thing is, the frozen thing still remains ready to grow again later when the Spring comes.

So when you hear a politician say that they are going to freeze spending, it doesn't mean they are going to cut anything. They are simply not increasing spending. So if they have 8 billion set aside for projects like building a ultra super high speed rail line across the US, that means via the freeze that they won't spend 10 billion.... yet. This brings me to point two...

Cuts....

Now when I think spending cuts, I think doing what I am already doing with less. That means food budget is 300 dollars instead of 400, or entertainment spending is 50 bucks instead of 100.

This is not so in Washington. When they say, "we are cutting spending by 12 percent", it means they are cutting the year over year increase by 12 perecent. Year over year, each departments spending increases by at least 8 percent. So if they cut that 8 percent by 12 percent, they are still increasing spending by about 6 percent.

This is why the debt in this country keeps expanding. There is no such thing as true cuts as normal people see them. Government spending never decreases, they just decrease the amount it increases year over year.

Please don't make this about partisan politics, because it's not. The current Democrat controlled congress is horrible with this, but the previous Republican controlled congress wasn't much better.

Please don't be swayed by political double speak. We are spending ourselves into oblivion. We have a real problem here, and we need to fix it.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

2. KAM1138
    Hello,

Also keep in mind that a "freeze" can also mean that it can't be reduced. So, if I make $1000 a month, and spend $1200 a month and then announce a "freeze" on my budget...well, that's obviously a stupid idea...if I want to avoid debt that is.

You're right about "cuts" too--I've always laughed (in a bad way) at that. Like back in 1995, when the Republicans were "cutting" spending...by slowing the rate of increase and they were accused of starving children, for example.

If our politicians want to get serious about reducing our deficit and debt, they need to take a look at EVERYTHING, and make some "sacrifices." Of course, there is likely billions in redundancy and inefficiency that could easily be cut, but that's government for you.

Raising spending by a trillion dollars and then cutting 300 billion and calling it deficit reduction doesn't fly either--example.

If our politicians are NOT serious about this, then I strongly suggest we throw them out of office at our next opportunity.

KAM
    Last edited by KAM1138; 01/29/2010 at 08:10 AM.
  3.    #3  
    I thought I would get more of a response from this. Perhaps everyone agrees....

4. KAM1138
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post
    I thought I would get more of a response from this. Perhaps everyone agrees....
    More likely they just haven't figured out a way to "disagree."

KAM
    Have you both considered the possibility that nobody really cares what you think?
  6. KAM1138
    Quote Originally Posted by davidra View Post
    Have you both considered the possibility that nobody really cares what you think?
    Yes, in fact I have considered that, and why should they--this is just a phone forum after all. I'm just a humble little poster, seeking to discuss things of interest with anyone willing to engage in sincere exchanges.

Its interesting though that you felt the need to respond in the manner in which you did--which is totally irrelevant to the actual topic. Well, I guess it isn't so much interesting as telling, but whatever.

Welcome back by the way,
    KAM
  7.    #7  
    If it is true that noboday cares about this, that just shows the sad state in which we find the fiscal knowledge of the public.

As to the point of the thread, perhaps you point out where I am wrong? Where do you see the fiscal responsibility in Washington? Increasing the debt ceiling by nearly 2 trillion dollars certainly doesn't show any level of responsible action on the part of our elected representatives.

I'm sure the initial response will be, well 8 years of Bush.... but just remember that for 2 of those eight years the Democrats ruled both houses and enacted laws that doomed 4 or 5 generations to crushing debt.

What I am saying is that there is plenty of blame to go around, as we have not seen responsible, and ethical economics in government for a long time regardless of who is in power.

Quote Originally Posted by KAM1138 View Post
    Welcome back by the way,
    KAM
    Thanks. I have to say that after spending a week or so in Haiti, I'm not sure I have the constitution to participate in the psychological effort it takes to participate in the political discussions on this board....but I may now and then fart on someone's ideas.
  9. KAM1138
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post
    If it is true that noboday cares about this, that just shows the sad state in which we find the fiscal knowledge of the public.

As to the point of the thread, perhaps you point out where I am wrong? Where do you see the fiscal responsibility in Washington? Increasing the debt ceiling by nearly 2 trillion dollars certainly doesn't show any level of responsible action on the part of our elected representatives.

I'm sure the initial response will be, well 8 years of Bush.... but just remember that for 2 of those eight years the Democrats ruled both houses and enacted laws that doomed 4 or 5 generations to crushing debt.

What I am saying is that there is plenty of blame to go around, as we have not seen responsible, and ethical economics in government for a long time regardless of who is in power.
    Perhaps my "they haven't figured out how to disagree" thought was on track.

KAM
  10. KAM1138
    Thanks. I have to say that after spending a week or so in Haiti, I'm not sure I have the constitution to participate in the psychological effort it takes to participate in the political discussions on this board....but I may now and then fart on someone's ideas.
    Not to get too off subject, but I was wondering if you were going to do something involving Haiti. I don't know about anyone else, but I'd be interested in hearing about your experiences down there (if you wanted to start a thread on it). I can't begin to imagine the devastation.

Farting on other people's ideas...for shame.

KAM
    Last edited by KAM1138; 01/29/2010 at 09:55 AM.
    Might at some point....but not right away....
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    If that's your only intent you may want to consider taking a more prolonged respite from the forum.