Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by davidra View Post
    Several of my friends and coworkers know Tebow reasonably well. They work in student health and are also team docs. According to them, he is totally authentic, there isn't a mean bone in his body, and he is exactly as he appears on TV.
    It's always nice to get "closer to first hand" reports about people. Sports starts really do have a responsibility to be role models. Tebow definitely seems to be "walking the walk" off the field and I'm really glad to hear that. I'll date myself when I say that Willie Stargell used to buy "Chicken on the Hill" (the Hill District, a poor neighborhood in Pittsburgh, PA) when he hit home runs for the Pirates. He and Roberto Clemente were my role models as a child (especially Clemente who gave his life serving missionaries). Clearly, Tebow would not have won the Heisman if both he and his team did not have stellar results as viewed by his peers: collegiate football athletes. The closest I've ever come to knowing any football stars was Joe Montana (who went to the same high school as me). He was several years ahead of me, and a damn good QB, but I never saw him as one who really cared about people the way he cared about the game. For me, the best athletes are a combination of both focus, intelligence, capability, and teamwork on the field, and people who build up others off the field. It's good to hear about college athletes who understand this.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Quote Originally Posted by noxaj2 View Post
    Your post really makes you look like a noob at football. I'm sorry it does.
    You son, are the "noob". Who, as a collegiate QB has had a better career when you take his stats, wins, championships, and heisman trophy into consideration?

Debating this with you is like having a conversation with a fungo bat.
  3.    #123  
    Your posts of saying the past 2 championships and HT win of Tebow and that you say he's the greatest shows your knowledge of last season College Football I call when I see them and you are I'm pretty sure you didn't watch one game of TebowGators and all he's mistakes he's done Tebow is ok but nothing special many players of small colleges play better at they're position than Tebow's.
  4.    #124  
    Quote Originally Posted by sudoer View Post
    noxaj2, well said! I suspected you weren't happy about all the side discussions. Some of them were necessary, but I agree it's time to get back to football and/or why the commercial itself should or should not be aired. I'm not much of a sports fan and I never could keep up with all the aspects of game play when participating myself. I'm better able to appreciate individual sports over team sports for this reason. The points you make about Tebow being overrated are likely due to sportscasters focusing on him as an individual rather than part of a team. Do you think this is the case?
    Yes ESPN did not help at all like I said before my College GameDays were pretty much hearing and seeing Tebow's few good plays than his mistakes and was a shrine for that. For all the people for Tebow I'm not the only one sick of Tebow many others agree on it.
    Here is . (Warning to the religious right. God's name is taken in vain at least once in this parody.)
    Your posts of saying the past 2 championships and HT win of Tebow and that you say he's the greatest shows your knowledge of last season College Football I call when I see them and you are I'm pretty sure you didn't watch one game of TebowGators and all he's mistakes he's done Tebow is ok but nothing special many players of small colleges play better at they're position than Tebow's.
    Yet they lacked the intangibles to do the things he did on the field.. And I said he possibly is the best college QB, not that he certainly is. But since you're so damn knowledgable, who played the position better then him in college, with the results he had?
  7.    #127  
    UCONN's RB is better at his position but wasn't talked about like Tebow CMU's QB and his choices while playing QB proves he's what to watch for in the NFL Tebow isn't that good and the only reason you think he's is the 2 championships and the HT.
    If he was so much better, why didn't he lead UCONN to the heights that Tebow led Florida to?

Look, I'm no Gator fan. And yes, I know what Lefevour did at CMU. I live in MI. The SEC is a bit tougher then the MAC . And any football fan should know that. But for you to discount the impact Tebow had not only for the Gators, but on college football in general, is just asinine.

Is he going to be a great NFL QB? We know he isn't. But to say he wasn't one of, if not the best college QB is well, silly.
  9.    #129  
    Hmmm Tebow can the most talked about in College Football I don't think he's the best I his name is Dixon the RB for UCONN he looks like he has something to offer the pros I could be wrong I didn't get alot chances to UCONN play for the reason I'm in Michigan too but I can have good agree and disagree with you JDGLAFFLIN sense we both live in the terrible econs of Michigan.
    So, what MI team do you root for? I went to Eastern, but I'm a Wolverine fan.
    Hmmm Tebow can the most talked about in College Football I don't think he's the best I his name is Dixon the RB for UCONN he looks like he has something to offer the pros I could be wrong I didn't get alot chances to UCONN play for the reason I'm in Michigan too but I can have good agree and disagree with you JDGLAFFLIN sense we both live in the terrible econs of Michigan.
    Well, he holds four NCAA records, something like 13 SEC records (I realize you probably think the Mid-American conference is better than the SEC (how many consecutive national championships have been won by the MAC in the past few years?) or the Big East? "Having something to offer to the pros" is not what we're talking about here, we're talking about who may be the best college football player of all time. I have no idea if he is or not, but a lot of people seem to think he's competitive. You're welcome to your opinion...it's just that your opinion is irrational.

NCAA RECORDS

Most rushing touchdowns by a QB in a season
    1. Tim Tebow, 23, 2007

Most consecutive games scoring a touchdown by rushing and passing
    Season
    1. Tim Tebow, 14 games, 2008

Career
    1. Tim Tebow, 28 games, active

Scoring 20 touchdowns rushing and passing in a season
    Tim Tebow, 2007 (32 passing, 23 rushing)

SEC RECORDS

Total offense
    1. Chris Leak, 11,370 yards
    15. Tim Tebow, 8,427 yards

Rushing touchdowns
    1. Herschel Walker, 49
    5. Tim Tebow, 43

Total touchdowns
    1. Danny Wuerffel, 122
    3. Tim Tebow, 110

Career completion percentage
    1. Tim Couch, 67.1 percent
    2. Tim Tebow, 65.8 percent

Lowest interception percentage
    1. Tim Tebow, 1.61 percent
    2. Andre Woodson, 1.96 percent

Yards gained in a season
    1. Tim Tebow, 2007, 4181 yards
    2. Tim Couch, 1998, 4151 yards

Touchdowns in a season
    1. Tim Tebow, 2007, 55 touchdowns
    2. Andre Woodson, 2007, 43 touchdowns

Touchdowns in a game
    1. Tim Tebow, 7 touchdowns, 2007 vs. South Carolina
    1. Eight others tied with 7

Rushing touchdowns, season
    Tim Tebow, 23, 2007
    Thanks Toby for the clarification. I don't have time to check and verify every assertion that Davidra makes. I only assumed he was being forthright about what he was saying.

I guess he wasn't.

In spite of Davidra's incorrect use of terminology, let's put that past us (at least in this thread). We can start a new one or find a more apropos thread to continue this conversation in. (Someone please PM me if that happens.)

For the record: noxaj2's articulation of what he feels and why has done more for me to understand how abortion rights proponents think than anything I've seen written by Davidra or Kenanator so far. You all should be taking more queues from him.
    I'm glad he's educating you. Congrats on that. Maybe you can explain to me what I said that was not forthright? All I said was that I didn't consider a zygote a human being, and that I agreed with Toby that "the only way to kill a zygote is with the morning after pill". If you want to be totally accurate, I will be glad to provide that info. Zygotes exist only for a few hours before they divide and thus by definition are not zygotes any more, only because they have gone from two cells to more than 2 cells. They are no more special than the original two cells. It usually takes about ten days for the "multicelled zygote" (you can call it an embryo if you want) to implant. That is what defines pregnancy. A large number of embryos never implant. If you want to be rigid about it, the "morning after pill" doesn't kill zygotes, it prevents embryos from implanting in the uterus. Now tell me again where I said something that was incorrect?
    I think that this thread has gotten out of hand and should be shut down.
  14.    #134  
    Quote Originally Posted by JDGAFFLIN View Post
    So, what MI team do you root for? I went to Eastern, but I'm a Wolverine fan.
    Michigan fan GO BLUE!!!
  15.    #135  
    Davidra Rex Grossman is better than Tim Tebow.
    Davidra Rex Grossman is better than Tim Tebow.
    No way. Grossman was a better passer than Tebow, and he had two pro receivers to throw to (Gaffney and Caldwell). Tebow won the National Championship with Harvin but couldn't get it done this year with only marginal receivers. Grossman also got totally screwed in 2001 when he should have won the Heisman (he didn't because they wouldn't give it to an underclassman; Tebow fixed that). But he never could have run the spread. He was and is slow and just too much of a gunslinger. Just ask any Bears fan. Just look at the records. No comparison.
    Maybe you can explain to me what I said that was not forthright? All I said was that I didn't consider a zygote a human being ...
    We had a conversation where I referred to the mother "choice" to kill or keep her child. You responded with:

The Pre lady would be a prime candidate.
    And no, I don't agree with you because I don't agree that a zygote is a child,
    I wasn't talking about a fertilized egg of a few cells in that conversation and you know it. I was trying to convey that the choice to abort a child was not an easy one for anyone to make, and that calling it so, or not educating the mother about the life inside her was dishonest. How many mothers who see their unborn child on ultrasound still have the heart to abort them? That's informed choice. Anything else is somewhat like what you did to me: stitching some facts together in a way to impersonalize the created life. Does that clarify where I came form? Can we end this part of the discussion now?
    We had a conversation where I referred to the mother "choice" to kill or keep her child. You responded with:

I wasn't talking about a fertilized egg of a few cells in that conversation and you know it. I was trying to convey that the choice to abort a child was not an easy one for anyone to make, and that calling it so, or not educating the mother about the life inside her was dishonest. How many mothers who see their unborn child on ultrasound still have the heart to abort them? That's informed choice. Anything else is somewhat like what you did to me: stitching some facts together in a way to impersonalize the created life. Does that clarify where I came form? Can we end this part of the discussion now?
    I guess not. Waiting until mothers can see their embryo on ultrasound will make abortions more risky and cause more complications. And most of all, I'd like to know who picked you to determine what "informed choice" is?

Clearly, we're not going to get anywhere in this thread talking about this. It's just that like most anti-choice proponents, your only rational argument is that an embryo is a child. And it isn't.
    Can you please refrain from attacking the person you are discussing with? Nobody ever said I'm the one who was picked to decide what "informed choice" is. I was simply saying that women should be given information that helps them to make the choice that you hold so dear. As far as "getting anywhere" I don't see where calling an embryo a child or not would prevent discussion. Many mothers choose to consider their embryo a child. This helps in bonding the family and the mother to the real person who nature intends to be born. If that prevents discussion, I think you might want to ask yourself why.
    Can you please refrain from attacking the person you are discussing with? Nobody ever said I'm the one who was picked to decide what "informed choice" is. I was simply saying that women should be given information that helps them to make the choice that you hold so dear. As far as "getting anywhere" I don't see where calling an embryo a child or not would prevent discussion. Many mothers choose to consider their embryo a child. This helps in bonding the family and the mother to the real person who nature intends to be born. If that prevents discussion, I think you might want to ask yourself why.
    Because your definition of "informed choice" is arranged to prejudice the decision in a way that suits your philosophy. But in actuality, are you being intellectually honest, since you don't really believe in allowing a woman that choice anyway? Or do you?
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast