Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    One of Jobs' slides was that "75 million people" already knew how to use an iPad, as if this was supposed to be a show stopper. Quite the contrary - isn't this 75 million people who WON'T buy an iPad? It would be redundant in so many ways. They ALREADY have a smaller and lighter alternative.

Supporting this take would be Mr. Jobs' opening jeer on netbooks. Contrary to his anecdote, netbooks can in fact do everything that laptops can; it is the iPad which is less equipped.

Why did netbooks become so popular? People were ready to sacrifice a bit of performance, loss of "standard" components (no optical drive) and lots of screen real estate (the first eeePC had a 7" screen!) for more mobility and a smaller price. Apple seeks to reverse this thinking, asking you to give up mobility, while paying more and sacrificing a few components (no phone, no camera), while getting a peformance boost - that you can't even use. Those 140,000 apps aren't going to be much better then they already are on the iPhone.*

The reason the 3G versions will be released afterwards it to give Apple time to gauge the initial demand. But why use mobile networks for a stay-at-home device? If your iPhone does everything the iPad does, and you need nothing less than a backpack or briefcase to carry it around, why would you tote around both of them with you?*

At least the Kindle, or even the smaller netbooks, can fit into a medium-sized purse. An iPad-carrying woman (or Euroman) will most likely need pieces of daily luggage minimum. This would be no problem for laptop carriers who could just slide it in their laptop ba - hmm...iPhone, iPad, AND laptop?*

What did I say about redundancy?
    Pixi Plus - Pre Plus - Pre 2 - Pre 3 - Touchpad 1 ;-)
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    So, basically, are you saying "what's the point" of buying an iPad?

If so, I agree. The iPh... most modern day smartphones can already do what the iPad does. The one obvious thing the iPad has over the smartphones out there is the screen size. That and battery life (supposedly, according to the screen from the show).
    no alot of the 75 m see apple as the technological equivalent of jesus and will rush to buy whatever they stamp their logo on be it a tablet or toilet paper
    I love my Macs
    I love my W7's
    I hated the iPhone (which I still have sans carrier)
    I am totally buying one of these,
    I want to use it to carry videos and photos and play,
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 063_xobx View Post
    no alot of the 75 m see apple as the technological equivalent of jesus and will rush to buy whatever they stamp their logo on be it a tablet or toilet paper
    This is true, but I'm sure that quite a few of the +75mil people that have an iPhone and/or an iPod Touch will realize that they can already do most of what the iPad does. The iPad might be 'great' for carrying around and reading ebooks, just like the iPod is 'great' for managing and listening to music. It might be 'great' for watching video, or looking at photos too.

And, like many other people that may have purchased an Apple device in the past, many people will wait until at least the second iteration of the device before jumping in. At least in the tech community, it's common knowledge that Apple will release a better version that includes everything that the original should have had later down the road.

Just my 2cents...