Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    from the iphone blog 46% don't want it either http://forum.theiphoneblog.com/ipad-...ting-ipad.html
  2.    #142  
    Quote Originally Posted by tonylawca View Post
    I disagree multi-tasking is so important that without it gaget couldn't be sold.
    Why people buy cheap DC when many smartphones have already a decent camera?
    People like simple.
    My treo 650 is single task. It open & close whichever PIM quickier than my Pre even pre could flip quickly. In many cases, it doesnot worth to spend money just want to do two things at the same time.

Most of the useful thing of my pre's multi-tasking is not it can do many things at the same time. It only save my time to close the previous programs.(but PalmOS app will automatically close when you open another app, there is unecessary even swifting your thumb)

I have a acer N450 10"netbook and it cost me $300. I had a plan to install a touch panel which would cost another US130. So the total cost will be $430. Most of the time I use it for reading books and surfing. If there was a Ipad before, I will try it instead of the acer.
    I disagree with this entirely. Try surfing 2 websites while listening to music. Try sharing a cool article with friends via email and messaging without losing your place. Try watching a movie, get a message and while typing, take a call. Your either fustrated @ that point with your 650 or your time is not as valuable as mine. In which case I guess multitasking isn't important.

maybe you say if I wanna do that I'll just use my laptop, so great now you get to carry 2 devices.
    Last edited by mrloserpunk; 01/27/2010 at 10:12 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    I disagree with this entirely. Try surfing 2 websites while listening to music. Try sharing a cool article with friends via email and messaging without losing your place. Try watching a movie, get a message and while typing, take a call. Your either fustrated @ that point with your 650 or your time is not as valuable as mine. In which case I guess multitasking isn't important.

maybe you say if I wanna do that I'll just use my laptop, so great now you get to carry 2 devices.
    I'm with you. While small devices can get away with doing one thing, you can't expect anything that is supposed to compete in the netbook market to go off all perfect without being able to do multiple things at once.
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    I hate to give them any time, but its a good story to prove the point. I have a friend with an iPhone. all along, he said he doesnt need multitasking, its not that important, blah.blah.blah. So yesterday he put Proswitcher on his iphone (it mimics webos multitasking for jailbroken iphones). He is going on and on today about how much he loves it.

I'm not sure if it was lack of using a real multitasking OS (although proswitcher is still not quite as good as our...so dont get mad). Or he just didnt want to admit that my Pre was making his iphone look antique.

Either way...it speaks for itself. Multitasking is the future and webOS has the best version of it, hands down....Noone can dispute that.
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zelgo View Post
    This device combines the eReader with the netbook--most people may not have cared but those who wanted to buy either will now really consider the iPad. Those who never considered it will now want one because it will be the new cool thing.

As for "this does absolutely nothing that other devices don't" doesn't really matter for Apple products. The iPod and iPhone weren't revolutionary--Creative had (and have) better mp3 players before the iPod, and Treo was around before the iPhone. Both these devices took niche products and made them mainstream.

I predict the iPad will do the same. It has NOTHING to do with what it can and cannot do. It's an Apple product; it looks nice; it's easy to use.

The iPhone made a fan out of my technology illiterate sister. The iPad will do the same.

You want GPS, multi-tasking, etc.? Just wait--they'll come.

I remember when the iPhone first came out, and people on TC grumbled, "My Treo does more than that!" We know the outcome of that battle.
    Wow, where to start on how wrong you are. Netbooks DO have eReaders on them...its called google books! There are thousands of books online available for download with any standard windows laptop or computer. You know why you dont know that? Because noone wants to start at a bright LED screen in their face for 2 hours while they read a book. Thats why they designed e-ink. Or did you just think that Amazon didnt like LEDs? cmon man. get with it.

On to your next incorrect statement. The iphone was the first touchscreen phone around and the first to really push the development of app. I know apps were around before iphone, but noone made them mainstream, stuff that was FUN and could be useful to any person. The iPod was by far the best mp3 player when it arrived. the look and feel was something you could not find on another platform. the iMaxipad offers neither of these. For everything they did right, they did 2 things wrong. At the end of the day, you buy something because it provides you a use. iPhone--apps and only touchscreen phone (when it came out). iPod - ease of mp3, and great UI. iPad, nothing that isnt already available elsewhere.

If I want to buy a multiuse product (which you claim the iPad is....netbook and ereader), why stop their. I also want to be able to do multiple things at once (iPad cant), I also want to plug in seperate devices to manage them via USB (iPad cant), I also want to be able to run any miriad of windows or iMac software the is already out there (iPad cant), I also want to skype via webcam on a network that has 3G (iPad cant).

Do you see a pattern yet? Theres more things this thing cant do than it can. So I digress....Why buy an iMaxipad over a netbook? Not a reason I've seen yet.
    i admittedly havent read this whole thread, but as far as a lack of multitasking, i really feel that they purposely dont include it on the iPhone and now iPad so that people will be more inclined to keep using iTunes and when people are constantly using iTunes they will get into the habit of buying their songs there.
    I don't know why they decided not to implement Multitasking. It makes sense that a bigger better device should be able to handle it and definatly is manditory.

The only legit reason I could see is they'd didn't want to spend the time doing anything new and just threw pieces of code from the iPhone's OS and hacked it together with the simplest parts of OSX
    Problem is, it only works one week a month.
    So the first thing I thought when I saw the picture where Steve Jobs is holding it in-front of himself on stage was, "Oh must be a joke on how Steve is getting old, needing a large-Print iPhone"
    Quote Originally Posted by alex.dobeck View Post
    I don't know why they decided not to implement Multitasking. It makes sense that a bigger better device should be able to handle it and definatly is manditory.

The only legit reason I could see is they'd didn't want to spend the time doing anything new and just threw pieces of code from the iPhone's OS and hacked it together with the simplest parts of OSX
    no we all know why apple didnt do this. they gonna implement it in an upcoming firmware and charge you for it. if you know anything you know apple always leaves basic functionality out at first and charge you for it later or make you upgrade your device just to get it
    Quote Originally Posted by newone757 View Post
    no we all know why apple didnt do this. they gonna implement it in an upcoming firmware and charge you for it. if you know anything you know apple always leaves basic functionality out at first and charge you for it later or make you upgrade your device just to get it
    what upgraded firmware or software have they charged for?
  12.    #152  
    touch os updates....
    Global Posts
    773 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sinime View Post
    Problem is, it only works one week a month.
    That is awesome. To add,

Fitting AT&T gets the iPad, only works a few days out of a month.

Snap!
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas View Post
    I think your applying your experience on the general population. I personally find reading eInk to be a strain on my eyes and very much enjoy staring at my monitor screen. Also, I think the video capabilities will pull more of the market. eInk is trying to apply technology to an old format. The future is likely a mashup of print and video.
    yup to that.

The apparent total lack of multitasking is problem I think, but not a game killer. People expect to be able to listen to music while they do other stuff -- perhaps they will provide a workaround. (maybe a limitation w/the iphone compatible OS of the device -- and not inherent in the hardware per se...??)

I'm not an apple fan boy -- and I'm personally not likely to buy one anytime soon -- but the entry level price (given the product's capabilities), seems reasonable, and its likely to find buyers.

FWIW, I am VERY bothered by some of the same things that always anger me about Apple stuff: locked memory, sealed battery, etc.

I think its a flat out outrage that they want to charge an extra 100-150 for adding incremental memory -- memory that you could have added yourself as you needed -- for $20-50. I hate locked down, closed systems.
    Last edited by BARYE; 01/28/2010 at 10:51 AM.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    No multi-tasking.... how is that better than a netbook?
    I think that leaves like 6% of America's population though.
    Honestly the biggest problem is it has no kick stand. This iPad will great to use for short burst, but lets remember that it weights 1.5lbs. How much fun is that going to be holding this up for a few hours?

Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Agreed. If you bought a netbook to do multitasking then you will probably not be happy with the iPad. If you even know what multitasking is then you definitely don't want to want to use an iPad as your primary computer. That only leaves 95% of the worlds population as potential iPad buyers who may looking to do browsing, email and targeted apps in an elegant way for as little as $499.
    yea, but the problem is to be functional you have to pay another $40 to get the case. So the price is now $540. Also, from the reviews I have read the case feels horrible.
    touché
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    I'm a long time Mac user, but I can't get past the name. IMHO, iPad sounds like Apple's attempt to break into the feminine hygiene market.
    Dave Cook | Fort Myers, Florida | Palm pre | Touchstone | Vaja iVolution Deco
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast