Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
    Really, the no camera is one of the biggest flaws. No video conferencing? No skype? Guess what, Apple? I can do that with my netbook! And if I have a netbook and a Palm Pre Plus, I can do that anywhere on the Verizon network (which is a 3G only network).
    Quote Originally Posted by artitumis View Post
    What is there not to agree with? Reading a computer screen for more than 20 minutes at a time takes a toll on your eyes. eInk does not. If you're going to drop hundreds of dollars on a tech device for reading, make the smart decision and go with something that won't cause eye strain. Your eyes and head will thank you when they aren't pounding after an hour or two.
    I think your applying your experience on the general population. I personally find reading eInk to be a strain on my eyes and very much enjoy staring at my monitor screen. Also, I think the video capabilities will pull more of the market. eInk is trying to apply technology to an old format. The future is likely a mashup of print and video.
  3.    #123  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Probably none of us are really the target for this device. However, I would never consider a reading device that I couldn't browse with a first rate browser. There's just too much online, like this site, that I would want to check on a regular basis. I'm one of the 2% of the population that carries a laptop and a smartphone with me wherever I go, however, for the other 98%, this is something to consider.
    So your saying the rest of the population wouldn't need a phone? Everyone is going to carry their cellphone still. Now you can carry both a cellphone and a tablet instead of a cellphone and a laptop. Great innovation.

I just don't see the reasoning behind this product. At the beginning Jobs said if the Tablet category is to work it needs to be better than a net book. How is that so?
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    I can't believe they didn't at least put a GPS in it?

Knowing Apple they probably already have a 8 year plan for this device in which time they will add things like camera's, GPS's, USB ports, and such so we can purchase it over and over and over again.

I still think that smartphones are the only devices that substitute for a full fledged computer. Anything in between is just a bad compromise that wont fit in your pocket.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Global Posts
    260 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zelgo View Post
    Since when have more advanced products ever stopped people from buying Apple?

People who are happy with their iPods and Macs will be happy with this. Overall, Apple products have the best interfaces. You may think that's superficial, but that's people want.

Get real-- This will absolutely dominate the netbook and ereader market.

I'm just seeing alot of sour grapes on this thread.
    I disagree with the best interfaces. Having the input for save or cancel at the top was a bother trying out on the iphone when I got used to the pre. Input should be the nearest to your thumbs, always! Things that are accessed less are at the top.

Anyway, it probably will dominate for a while. Until someone clones them *cough* Meizu*cough*.

I wonder why everyone is taking so long to make their own. ASUS and NVIDIA need their stuff to come out as soon as possible. Judging by the specs, I would prefer to read on ASUS DIR-570 oled screen, and on the other hand, have an NVIDIA tablet with a full Win7.
    lol, friend just sent me a text on how "iTampon" is a "trending" term on twitter because of the wonderful well thought out naming of this new device.
    Quote Originally Posted by zelgo View Post
    Overall, Apple products have the best interfaces. .
    You must have never spent any serious time with a Pre if you believe that statement. Reaching to the top of that Pad to hit the "go back" button will get old real fast.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Overall, I will say that if you are Apple and Gizmodo says they don't like your product, then it probably sucks.

8 Things That Suck About the iPad - apple ipad - Gizmodo
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Pads are niche. I can't see it replacing anything I have, and I already have too many devices
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    Just putting my opinion on record here. The iPad is the biggest disappointment I have seen Apple make in my adult lifetime.

1. This device does absolutely nothing that other devices don't. It is a touchscreen netbook without a keyboard. I'm pretty sure there are even touchscreen netbooks out there. I'm not sure what the netbook market is, but it cant be that big. Unless Apple corners this market (which they wont), it'll never take off.
    2. The iPod and the iPhone were revolutionary devices. That is what made them so popular. There was simply nothing out there at their release that could compete. As said above, the iPad adds absolutely nothing revolutionary.
    3. For some god awful reason, Apple decided to tie the life of its newest device to AT&T. When I saw that, I knew it wasnt going to work. One of the single best things about netbooks/iPads is their ability to be mobile. To go with you where you go. But with AT&T, it will turn off anyone in a major city (and major big-money markets). BTW-what the hel_l_ is a microSIM?

Apple had a chance here to turn some heads. Put their version of "mobile hot spot" on the iPad, get it on Verizon, and allow it to tether to your iPhone. Are you kidding me? What an amazing option. Bring your iphone, but whip out your iPad when you have a chance to sit down somewhere and you want a larger screen. It just makes so much sense.

4. Their price is way lower than I expected. However, a top-of-the-line netbook costs only $350-400. And it is more powerful and runs all of windows software.

5. The second I heard Steve Jobs claim "this will be the biggest product ive ever created", I knew it was nothing special. does anyone remember that same thing happening when the segway came out? If they need to build it up that much its because the product wont speak for itself. Well, the iPad spoke good and loud. BUST!

I just see no justification for buying this device.
  11.    #131  
    Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    Overall, I will say that if you are Apple and Gizmodo says they don't like your product, then it probably sucks.

8 Things That Suck About the iPad - apple ipad - Gizmodo
    Wow. Wow. Wow.

By the early 1990s, Apple was developing alternative platforms to the Macintosh, such as the A/UX. The Macintosh platform was becoming outdated since it was not built for multitasking, and several important software routines were programmed directly into the hardware. In addition, Apple was facing competition from OS/2(Android) and UNIX(Palm) vendors like Sun Microsystems. The Macintosh would need to be replaced by a new platform, or reworked to run on more powerful hardware.
    Wikipedia

History, repeating?
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    i dunno, seems like another device to me too.
    yeah, its a "meh" product. But the first thing that popped in my head when i saw the price was that the 16 gig model is cheaper than an un-subsidized Pre, and not much more with a 3G radio.
    I disagree multi-tasking is so important that without it gaget couldn't be sold.
    Why people buy cheap DC when many smartphones have already a decent camera?
    People like simple.
    My treo 650 is single task. It open & close whichever PIM quickier than my Pre even pre could flip quickly. In many cases, it doesnot worth to spend money just want to do two things at the same time.

Most of the useful thing of my pre's multi-tasking is not it can do many things at the same time. It only save my time to close the previous programs.(but PalmOS app will automatically close when you open another app, there is unecessary even swifting your thumb)

I have a acer N450 10"netbook and it cost me $300. I had a plan to install a touch panel which would cost another US130. So the total cost will be $430. Most of the time I use it for reading books and surfing. If there was a Ipad before, I will try it instead of the acer.
    I don't think anyone will argue that some iPad's will sell. But considering the functionality of the device, it is hard to come up with what market they are really trying to capture.

It doesn't work well as a business tool. It seems to be an oversized media player. It is not a communication device. It can't be used for taking notes. Its gaming will only be so so, as touch based controls will be difficult on it because it is so large (for 3rd person and 1st person games anyway). All I can really see it doing well as is an eReader, a expensive one at that.

Just for comparison, kindle 2 is lighter, has a longer battery life, cheaper ($259) but has a smaller screen and the screen isn't nearly as pretty. The nook is the same price as the kindle, and also sports a longer battery life and is lighter. So if you only plan on using the iPad for reading, why wouldn't you go with the kindle or nook?

The iPad just seems like it is trying to do too many things in an half-assed way.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Global Posts
    773 Global Posts
    iDisapointed...

The Joo Joo looks WAY better now.
    Last edited by cashen; 01/27/2010 at 07:32 PM.
    shouldve been like the lenovo u1 a macbook slim with full os, and a screen that detaches to be the ipad.

as is the edition of some revamped apple office software to a big ipod touch isn't making me feel like I am missing much with my pre/hpmini combo.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Do you really think people who are attracted to this device care about multitasking or laptop functionality?

Take the Kindle, the smash success of this holiday season. Would you choose one of those or a $499 iPad?
    If I was going to read over 10 minutes worth of content, I'd take a Kindle hands down. Until you really use an eInk device, it is hard to understand how much easier it is on your eyes.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    What I find the most disturbing/disappointing about the whole iPad is the sheer amount of free advertising given to Apple by the media. Now that the disappointment has set it, maybe that will teach them to only bother reporting on devices that are actually real (and not giving everything Apple does a free ride).

All those rumors about a new awesome iPhone OS 4.0 with multitasking going to Verizon got shot down hard and buried. If the iPad doesn't have multitasking and is only launching on at&t, that means the iPhone is going to follow suit for quite awhile.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall
    I'm an Embedded Software Engineer. My idea of a Good User Interface is printf().
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    The maxiPad is the answer to the question nobody asked. If you want to do everything the maxiPad can do get an iPhone or a Touch. I fail to see how this is anything but a large Touch. The Kindle is cheaper, has eInk screen for long periods of reading and will soon have apps. If I already own an iPhone or Touch then buying a maxiPad to use as a eReader makes no sense since I can already use the Kindle app. The only customers this product makes any sense for is for those people who want a not as portable Touch and want an eReader for light reading (light reading and eReader don't exactly go hand in hand.
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast