Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Apple has realize that some people are hooked to their products,so this is just another way of making some easy money with the same product that already exsist,the only differance its a little bigger and it will never have flash.
    Just saw the Microsoft Courier, if it's can do what it claims it'll be sooo much better than the ipad
    The more I think about this presentation the more I think that the really big news was the new Apple 1 ghz processor that can get 10 hours of battery life with a great big 10" inch screen. That by far is the most impressive part of this most unimpressive device.

The fact that Apple is going into the chip making business is very interesting and very scary.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Merton View Post
    How is this a Kindle killer?

The Kindle at least as eInk. If you are hardcore into reading, which I am assuming you would be if you are buying an electronic reader, you probably know that eInk is a lot easier on the eyes.
    I don't agree with this.

Also the success depends on how well and how much content Apple will have available. Most of us have on what they would produce with a platform like the iPad. If Apple can corral the periodical publishing industry they'll have it.

Putting the thing on AT&T, that was stupid. Apple needs to kick them to the curb.
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    I hope those iFart devs get cracking real quick with that new SDK to take advantage of the new screen real estate.
    Pixi Plus - Pre Plus - Pre 2 - Pre 3 - Touchpad 1 ;-)
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    At $499, it's a Kindle and netbook killer - the two most popular mobile devices over the past year or so.
    How in the world is it a netbook killer?

For the same price by the time this comes out you can get a fully HD capable 11"+ screen, 90%+ full sized keyboard, 15x more storage, pinetrail ion2 netbook that actually has a true, full OS on it and web browsing that supports flash.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post

For the same price by the time this comes out you can get a fully HD capable 11"+ screen, 90%+ full sized keyboard, 15x more storage, pinetrail ion2 netbook that actually has a true, full OS on it and web browsing that supports flash.
    game, set, match.
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas View Post
    ...If Apple can corral the periodical publishing industry they'll have it....

And if anyone can do it, Apple can...and bring down the prices, like they've introduced apps for only a few dollars. Anyone I've ever demoed an e-reader to has always asked the price of an ebook, and none have liked the answer, even with Amazon prices. Even those who see the advantages to ebooks are unwilling to pay more for less (less ownership, less ability to loan, etc.)

However, from what I see, they want MORE...12-15 bucks. Ouch.
    Pixi Plus - Pre Plus - Pre 2 - Pre 3 - Touchpad 1 ;-)
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    I would much rather the lenovo ideapad u1... .10x the device!! Way to go apple.. .another product with old technology that all the wanna be technofiles will be sporting. No real teckie would ever think of this as "magical"??
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    The more I think about this presentation the more I think that the really big news was the new Apple 1 ghz processor that can get 10 hours of battery life with a great big 10" inch screen. That by far is the most impressive part of this most unimpressive device.

The fact that Apple is going into the chip making business is very interesting and very scary.
    That's not impressive at all. The new Asus eee 1005p has a 1.66 ghz processor and can get a claimed 11 hours of battery life.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post

But will said netbook have a cool Apple logo on it?? I didn't think so.

Maybe it's time to remind everyone of the Macbook Wheel:

Apple Introduces Revolutionary New Laptop With No Keyboard | The Onion - America's Finest News Source
    If they allowed the wifi only iPad to be tethered to an iPhone, you could then use only one data plan. Also use the iPhones GPS for a great mapping application.

Add a real bluetooth mini keyboard that could be used by both devices and that would be interesting.
    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    That's not impressive at all. The new Asus eee 1005p has a 1.66 ghz processor and can get a claimed 11 hours of battery life.
    And the eee has an x86 processor, not the ARM CPU that the iPad will have.
  14.    #114  
    There's no multitasking at all. It's a real disappointment. All this power and very little you can do with it at once. No multitasking means no streaming Pandora when you're working in Pages... you can figure it out. It's a real setback for this device.
    --- Engadget

So you need your ipod for music, your Iphone for calls and the Ipad to surf and read? If only there was one device that could do it all at the same time.... Preposterous idea I suppose....
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
  15.    #115  
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post

Good catch.

Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    Good catch.
    Apple has been making its own ARM processors and chipsets for a while now. They acquired PA Semiconductor in 2008, and since then have been using them to do iPhone chipsets (and now the iPad).
  17.    #117  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    So, you are sitting on a plane or a train. You can have one device with you on your lap for less than $1000. What would you want to have? A netbook or laptop, right?

How about your parents? Siblings? Kids? People you work with?
    I'd want a device that could do a little of each thing I may need. I'd like to be able to make calls. I'd Like to take pictures of the ride. I'd like to view websites without getting a lego when watching video. I'd like to be able to do each one when ever the need arises. Without losing or slowing my workload with other applications... I'd also like to play games but while on a train or plane can you imagine rotating the Ipad while playing NFS without making the person sitting next to you move out of the way?

Quote Originally Posted by daThomas View Post
    I don't agree with this.
    What is there not to agree with? Reading a computer screen for more than 20 minutes at a time takes a toll on your eyes. eInk does not. If you're going to drop hundreds of dollars on a tech device for reading, make the smart decision and go with something that won't cause eye strain. Your eyes and head will thank you when they aren't pounding after an hour or two.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cormac_Byrne View Post
    If they allowed the wifi only iPad to be tethered to an iPhone, you could then use only one data plan. Also use the iPhones GPS for a great mapping application.
    I don't think AT&T would be too happy about that. Of course they're not going to be too happy about this device showing the weakness of their network either.
  20.    #120  
    No camera. None, nada. Zip. No video conferencing here folks. Hell, it doesn't have an SMS app!
    Wow. So Apples answer to multitasking is multiproducts.