Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Honestly, I don't get the point of the iPad.

What market is it trying to grab? If I needed something portable, I would get a netbook which SUPPORTS flash. If I wanted an electronic reader, I would get something with eInk.

I just don't see the purpose of this product.

I thought Microsoft's Courier looked MUCH more interesting. It seems like they were trying to sell it as an electronic notebook with a stylus, which sounds awesome. I am a college student, so if I could just bring this to class to take notes, that would be awesome! Plus it uses a stylus so it's not like I have to type.

Here is the Courier video in case you missed it:
    Quote Originally Posted by Merton View Post

What market is it trying to grab? If I needed something portable, I would get a netbook which SUPPORTS flash. If I wanted an electronic reader, I would get something with eInk.

I thought Microsoft's Courier looked MUCH more interesting. It seems like they were trying to sell it as an electronic notebook with a stylus, which sounds awesome. I am a college student, so if I could just bring this to class to take notes, that would be awesome! Plus it uses a stylus so it's not like I have to type.

Agreed entirely, though the taking notes can be done now with the excellent Microsoft OneNote and any tablet PC. I'm still very excited for Courier, if it ever comes to market, but quite a bit of the functionality already exists, just not in quite as nice a package.
    Quote Originally Posted by Merton View Post

Agreed on the stylus. See my post above re: the Livescribe Pulse.

I think it's a mistake (an understandable one, but a mistake nonetheless) to think of stylus input as some sort of step backwards. There are situations where stylus input is exactly what you want, and if you're not going to at least offer that option on a tablet, I just don't get it.
  4.    #84  
    Ya know, Apple is just going to improve this in the next year. Why else leave a camera off? Next years model gets a webcam. Lame it was forgotten.
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    It's a Kindle killer.
    Magical my a$s. I do think they will sell a ton of them though. Just not to me.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Has anyone noticed the bezel on that thing. Nasty!

By bezel I mean the edges of the front of the device that are around the screen.

It would be much more apple-esque if the screen took up the entire front of the device. Would be a much cleaner look.

And NO, I'm not getting one of these ****ty tablets. Too expensive; can get a well-equipped notebook or thin-n-light for the same price or less THAT CAN DO FLASH!
    This was a major let down. Palm can you release WebOS 1.4 toda to make my day please????
    If this uses a similar version of the iPhone OS then I wonder if the new iPhone will also not multitask. If it doesn't then bad things are going their way friends....
    boooorrrriiiiinggg!

at least the base price is isn't insane.

seriously, no multitasking, why?

perhaps there will be a one more thing
    Wow, think about this:

You'd do better to get a Palm Pre Plus w/verizon + wifi hotspot app with your netbook than an iPad.

1. You'll have multitasking on BOTH your phone and your netbook
    2. You can actually hook up to FIVE devices at one time (imagine you're on a car trip w/the family)
    3. The price is about the same to get mobile phone service and your data for your iPad/netbook

(NOTE: For this comparison, we're assuming you want a smartphone and a netbook/iPad with data capabilities ANYWHERE that 3G or wifi is avail.)

Device Costs
    --------------
    Palm Pre Plus, Netbook = $99.99 (Pre Plus) + $300 (Asus EEE 1005ha) = $399.99
    iPad, any smart phone = $629 + $99 (some smart phone) = $728

- So you're saving $329 so far

Subscription/Service costs
    --------------------------
    Palm Pre Plus, wifi app = $115/mnth (unlimited talk and data) + $40/mnth = $155
    iPad, some smart phone = $29.99/mnth + $115/mnth (cheaper if use Sprint) = $144

So after 2 years, you'll have saved $264 on the plan (more if you use Sprint for your smartphone) but spent $329 more on the devices. So after 2 years, you're better off with the verizon Pre Plus with hotspot. And of course, you get multi-tasking on both devices AND you can use your data connection for SIX devices at once (your phone and 5 other devices). Oh, and the battery's replaceable which is not the case for the iPad.
    I'm going to wait for the improved 2nd generation MaxiPad (with wings).
    Symbol SPT1500 (Palm III w/laser barcode scanner) -> Treo 600 -> Treo 755p -> Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    Magical my a$s. I do think they will sell a ton of them though. Just not to me.
    Don't get me wrong, I agree they'll sell a ton, but that's just by virtue of being Apple. I still see no reason for the existence of this based on the conference though.
    No USB ports? Crappy ATT 3G.. What about all the people who already have 4g cards and would rather go that route? Apple really did not think this thing through.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    For all its flaws, I think the iPad will actually be a good device. I say "good", but not "great." I am not an Apple fan by any measure. I very much dislike them as a company (because of the strict control they place on their products), but generally, I find their products to be of pretty good quality. When it comes down to the individual apps, I believe those found on the iPhone/iPod Touch have the Pre beat. That said, I still would not trade my Pre for an iPhone, as I feel that webOS is still the superior OS, in no small part due to its multitasking ability. Even if the iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad gain multitasking ability, I doubt it can match the Pre (unless it is an outright copy, at which point I'm sure all the Apple ******* will act like it is so innovative and great and that no one else could have done it but Apple).

That said, I could see this device being good for gaming, particularly card games, board games, and strategy games. For web browsing, I think it would be alright, but the lack of Flash, I can see potential frustration with it, and knowing Apple, there are no plans for adding Flash currently in the works.

All in all, I don't think it will be a complete failure, but I don't think it will be a booming success the way the iPhone was. Though I personally think a webOS tablet would be better, I'm not getting my hopes up, and I actually would prefer a full fledged desktop OS like Windows 7 or OSX. So in that regards, I'm actually looking forward to seeing more of the HP Slate. And being a student, I think a slate like device (Apple or otherwise) would be great for taking notes in classes where typing is not optimal (such as when you have write out formulas or flow charts, or have to annotate other text). Also, I think a slate like device would be great for drawing, something I thoroughly enjoy.

In my opinion this (and other slate/tablet like devices) will be a niche product, but I don't think that makes it a failure.
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas View Post
    It's a Kindle killer.
    How is this a Kindle killer?

The Kindle at least as eInk. If you are hardcore into reading, which I am assuming you would be if you are buying an electronic reader, you probably know that eInk is a lot easier on the eyes.
    I don't see this as a Kindle/Nook killer. Maybe a dent out of netbooks but I wouldn't want to read on a backlit display. Destroys the eBook experience. Also, can you imagine being on a plane next to someone playing NFS on that thing and tilting and turning and manuevering that thing like an etch-a-sketch? LOL
    Boy this is dumb!
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Actually, I'm glad it wasn't better. The last thing we need is Apple owning an even bigger part of another market with their restrictive, illegal anti-trust-violating policies. I like that I can write my own application and put it on my own Palm Pre that I paid for, unlike an iPhone.
    Oh, yeah - and the iPad still doesn't have adobe flash.