View Poll Results: Should I get a New Laptop or Desktop System

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Go with the Laptop

8 80.00%
  • Stick with another Desktop

2 20.00%
  1.    #1  
    The kids are getting older and my home computer is getting older too. It is still adaquate--a Celeron 400 with 256MB of RAM and a 32MB video card, but I am gettting crowded off the computer.

I am torn between buying a new laptop or a desktop system. The portability of the laptop is important, though I do not travel very much. I would dig setting up a wireless network so that I could browse around the house.

I am resigned to spending about $1800. I can't help but think what a groovy desktop system I could put together for that kind of cash. I'd build a custom system... upgradable... expandable.... all things I enjoy messing around with. A 17" flat panel would look pretty nice too.

I am not much of a gamer, so blistering performance (while nice) is not essential.

What to do...what to do...???
    The answer to this questions depends a lot on what you usually don in front of your computer? So what do you usually do apart from stomping around on VC?
    Laptop, since you wanna peruse the net in the bathroom and kitchen.
    The laptop, combined with 802.11b, will allow you to set up an office wherever you want/can in your house. As long as you're not doing a lot of graphics work, the laptop should be more than sufficient for your needs.
    It's gotta be weather balloons. It's always weather balloons. Big, fiery, exploding weather balloons.
    -- ComaVN (from Slashdot)
    Yardie makes a good point.

Most people choose the machine BEFORE they choose the software.

The machine is often the least important aspect of the decision making process. Software, Monitors, Chairs, Desks should ALL be a higher priority than the actual machine.

All that said, the basic difference between the two is price and expandability/upgradability.

Laptops cost a bit more initially, and they aren't as upgradable or expandable as a desktop, so, in the long run, you end up spending more to use laptops that desktops.

However, you gain portability with a laptop, so you just really need to decide if the extra $$ is worth the convenience.

And, I'll contradict Sowens and say that one of the best graphics machines out there is the Apple TiBook. It has a huge built-in screen and you can hook up a second monitor easily.
    We're all naked if you turn us inside out.
    -David Byrne
    Here's a question from a guy who's almost exclusively used desktop systems (I really don't travel much, and when I do, my computer needs are met by a PDA):

How are the keyboards on laptops? Near or equivalent to the comfort of a full keyboard? (Oh, I love my Stowaway.)

A few months ago I would have also asked about laptop display quality, but I switched my fine old Nanao CRT monitor at home for a Eizo/Nanao flat screen LCD monitor. Don't let anyone tell you CRTs and LCDs are equivalent; but LCDs certainly are satisfactory and sufficient, and actually have one or two advantages over CRT monitors.
    Jeff Meyer

"And he died like he lived: with his mouth wide open."
    Originally posted by homer
    And, I'll contradict Sowens and say that one of the best graphics machines out there is the Apple TiBook. It has a huge built-in screen and you can hook up a second monitor easily.
    Hey, life would be pretty boring without differences of opinion.

While I haven't used one extensively, I've tried the TiBook several times at CompUSA and various other places. For the kinds of graphics work I do, the TiBook would be fine (in fact, the wide screen is nice for a lot of things. I'd love it for coding). However, if I did it professionally, I'd want a 21" monitor. It'd just be easier on the eyes, IMO.

Of course, with a laptop, you can always hook up to that 21" monitor with the external VGA port.....
    It's gotta be weather balloons. It's always weather balloons. Big, fiery, exploding weather balloons.
    Of course, with a laptop, you can always hook up to that 21" monitor with the external VGA port...
    Right. That was my point.
    We're all naked if you turn us inside out.
    -David Byrne
    Originally posted by homer

Right. That was my point.
    Oh yeah.

Guess I need to go back to my 3 R's: Rydin, Rithmtics, and, uh,....