Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I was specking out motherboards recently and decided that one small thing I would be sure to get was an onboard 10/100 nic. Despite having atleast half a dozen 10/100 nic cards lying around, I would prefer having it on the board and preserving the PCI slot for something else.
  2.    #22  
    Originally posted by Keefer Lucas
    I was specking out motherboards recently and decided that one small thing I would be sure to get was an onboard 10/100 nic. Despite having atleast half a dozen 10/100 nic cards lying around, I would prefer having it on the board and preserving the PCI slot for something else.
    I'm not going to be pressed for slots.
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
    Originally posted by ****-richardson

I'm not going to be pressed for slots.
    Even so.
    [...] Atta boy! Deny everything.
    I didn't deny anything. There's not really anything suspicious at all. I'm currently awaiting an alienware computer, so I changed my avatar to something very similar (dunno if it's identical yet) to their case sticker for a bit.
    The same company you linked to for the 5.25" bay speakers sent us a catalog with the very same case sticker. [...]
    Well, they can't take credit for this one. It's actually one from Directron modifed into a transparent .gif.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
  5.    #25  
    Originally posted by Toby
    I didn't deny anything
    The more you proclaim your innocence, the more I suspect your guilt.
    -Joshua
  6.    #26  
    Originally posted by Keefer Lucas
    Even so.
    I have an aversion toward integrated anything. I'm already irritated my mobo has integrated sound. I like everything separated off. If video goes, I don't want to worry if it's the motherboard or the video card. Same for if the phone line is hit by lightning. There's a good chance the modem will take it in the cornhole, sparing the motherboard. Not always, mind you, but I've seen it enough to distrust integration.

And I like Macs. Go figure.
    -Joshua
    The more you proclaim your innocence, the more I suspect your guilt.
    Hey, it's not my fault you accused me of the wrong crime. I stole it from Directron, not Cyberguys. :~~~
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    I didn't deny anything. There's not really anything suspicious at all. I'm currently awaiting an alienware computer, so I changed my avatar to something very similar (dunno if it's identical yet) to their case sticker for a bit.
    It's not identical. The Alienware one has a pointier chin.
    It's not identical. The Alienware one has a pointier chin.
    More like this one, but the transparency will take some editing obviously.
  10.    #30  
    Alright, after compiling prices, I can go with a 900MHz K7 with all the trimmings for $406.15 or the 1.4GHz for $471.60.

Is the 1.4 worth the $65.45 difference?
    -Joshua
    Alright, after compiling prices, I can go with a 900MHz K7 with all the trimmings for $406.15 or the 1.4GHz for $471.60.

In my opinion, yes. Don't go for less than a 1.0, and for only $65.45 more, why not?
    Blue Visor Deluxe ~ Clie T615 ~ Zire 71 ~ Treo 650 ~ Palm Centro

It is if you're running Windows XP (particularly with 128MB RAM or less). It's not if you're running Linux or FreeBSD.

(That's a highly simplistic statement, but the gist of it is right on.)
    Jeff Meyer

"And he died like he lived: with his mouth wide open."
  13.    #33  
    Originally posted by bookrats
    It is if you're running Windows XP (particularly with 128MB RAM or less). It's not if you're running Linux or FreeBSD.
    I'll probably be running win98se with a 512 DDR chip. That is, until I'm bored and start running mandrake again.
    -Joshua

I'll probably be running win98se with a 512 DDR chip. That is, until I'm bored and start running mandrake again.
    Hmmm... then the extra speed may not be essential.

Still, as terrysalmi points out, it's a lot of speed for the bucks. It also gives you some upgrade capacity in the future, meaning a longer wait until you have to upgrade your hardware again.
    Jeff Meyer

"And he died like he lived: with his mouth wide open."
  15.    #35  
    Ha! Found I can go down to $450.xx if I go with the antec case and power supply. That does leave me at 300W, but considering the P.O.S. I'm currently running is a 90...
    -Joshua
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12