Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    :yawn:

Quote Originally Posted by costas View Post
    I don't think it's just kids that are addicted to these tech toys..
    Yeah.
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by thekarens View Post
    Please, I bet most of us here are addicted to our electronics. I know I am and I'm 40 years old and have no problem admitting it. I think most youths are, but I don't necessarily think it's a bad thing.

However, there's no doubt that electronics negatively affect the health of children. Instead of playing ball or riding a bicycle they are playing games. There's nothing wrong with electronics, they have improved our life tremendously, but I think we need to make sure our children have a balanced life of the joys of electronics and physical activity.
    Excellent post. Yes, most youths in the USA are addicted to electronic devices,just as are most people who post here (not ME, of course
    Yes, it doesn't necessarily have to be a bad thing,BUT it would appear that many kids are NOT leading a balanced life, and that may be a big part of the reason for the obesity and diabetes epidemic we are seeing.

A doctor friend told me that to determine if you are addicted to something (like adults drinking alcoholic beverages,smoking cigarettes,etc.) - see if you can not do the behavior for 30 days;if you can't, then there is a good chance you are addicted to it.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Whats the alternative? Television?
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    And who makes these items available to the kids? So who is responsible for this "addiction"?
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof View Post
    And who makes these items available to the kids? So who is responsible for this "addiction"?
    Come on Woof. George W. Bush, of course. Get with the program, will you?
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
  6.    #26  
    BBC News - Facebook is a major influence on girls, says survey

"Facebook has become one of the biggest influences on the lives of girls, according to a survey. "

"Parents were found to underestimate the significance of technology."
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    Whats the alternative? Television?
    The alternative, in my opinion, is moderation and diversity of experiences.

My kids have one hour before bed on school nights and 2 afternoon hours on sat and sun where no TV or electronic devices are allowed: phones put up, ipods off, tvs off, etc. Sometimes they read, sometimes they talk to us or each other, sometimes its board games, and sometimes they mope around the house telling us how cruel we are as parents. I don't want my kids to be part of the instant gratification crowd where everything and everyone is at their fingertips. I want them to have conversations in person and to visit the library regularly. I realize I sound like an old guy who walked uphill each way to school, but I'm just middle-aged and amazed at the mindless iphone facebook zombies many kids are today. Studies like this make me feel as if I might be doing something right.
    Yeah, kinda of funny, when I was watching March Madness on TV, they would show a buzzer beater shot in slow motion and as the camera follows the basketball in flight you could see a lot the kids in the audience looking down at their smartphones texting, missing out on the game winning shot!
  9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by joshaccount View Post
    . Studies like this make me feel as if I might be doing something right.
    You CERTAINLY are on the correct path;congratulations!
  10.    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    yeah, kinda of funny, when i was watching march madness on tv, they would show a buzzer beater shot in slow motion and as the camera follows the basketball in flight you could see a lot the kids in the audience looking down at their smartphones texting, missing out on the game winning shot!
    exactly!!
    In the article, does "electronics" mean only video games or does it mean all electronic toys? Many kids toys now a days are electronic is some kind of way.
  12.    #32  
    I would say it means things like ipods,etc.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12