1.    #1  
    I know there are a lot of Mac users on the board, so I am posting this here. My brother just bought a Powerbook Notebook, and is brand new to Mac...what is the must-have software/hardware, and any tips for a new Mac user?
    Blue Visor Deluxe ~ Clie T615 ~ Zire 71 ~ Treo 650 ~ Palm Centro
    The software will depend largely on what your brother does. If he is using Mac OS X, he needs to get the following:

OmniWeb - great looking web browser
    Fire - IM client that works with all protocols
    Office X - A must for businesses. If he just needs word processing and spreadsheets, AppleWorks will do

I suggest he goes to versiontracker.com and just look in the Mac section for software he likes.
    James Hromadka, TreoCentral Editor
    Houston - EST. 1836
  3.    #3  
    He is using OSX, and has a friend who is big in Macs who is giving him Office, etc.

BTW...he also has a Prism - Will Palm's Desktop 4 Mac work w/ the Handspring?
    Last edited by terrysalmi; 03/30/2002 at 04:45 PM.
    Originally posted by terrysalmi
    He is using OSX, and has a friend who is big in Macs who is giving him Office, etc.

BTW...he also has a Prism - Will Palm's Desktop 4 Mac work w/ the Handspring?
    Although Handspring doesn't recommend it, I've been able to sync with Palm Desktop X with the Prism & Treo just fine.
    Houston - EST. 1836
    One of the best ways to keep up with what Mac software is doing is to check in on www.macfixit.com. You'll see that there are a lot of discussions these days about Palm 4.0 beta for OS X. Another good resource is www.macintouch.com.
    Unfortunately macfixit went to a members-only format for the useful stuff... pretty ridiculous considering the content is primarily reader submissions.
    and has a friend who is big in Macs who is giving him Office
    Be sure to buy this software. It's good software...worth paying for.

My list of OSX niceties include:

ASM (brings back the application menu from OS9 and allows all app windows to come to the front when you click on one)

PTHClock (a free replacement to the crappy menu-bar clock in OSX)

Keyboard Maestro (a true application switcher ala Windows' control-tab)

Watson (a really nice web tool. It's hard to explain all it does...check it out)

OmniGraffle (only useful if you are into drawing flow charts. But, if you are, this is the app to get)
    We're all naked if you turn us inside out.
    -David Byrne
  8.    #8  
    - He has watson and loves it - he got it from his friend
    - He has both OS9 and OSX installed - so will ASM let him run OS9 programs from OSX???
    He is using OSX
    Probably wants an OS X-centric site to frequent, then.

try:
    www.macfixit.com - if he visits each weekday, he'll be on top of current issues. But, has to pay for older material.
    www.macosx.org
    Mac OSX Newbie FAQ
    A pile of relevant links
    The light at the end of your tunnel has been disconnected due to non-payment. Please remit funds immediately for restoration of hope.
    - He has both OS9 and OSX installed - so will ASM let him run OS9 programs from OSX???
    OS9 programs can be run in "Classic" under OS X.
    Or, he can boot to OS 9 and run them there.
    have to wait on Homer to hear about ASM -- I'm not familiar with it.
    and anyway, I prefer to be fresh than familiar. tho I get slapped either way.
    The light at the end of your tunnel has been disconnected due to non-payment. Please remit funds immediately for restoration of hope.
    turn to http://www.appleturns.com (As The Apple Turns) for a lighthearted look at the world of Apple. Sort of a Dave Barry approach to the often maniacal world of Apple enthusiasm.
    - He has watson and loves it - he got it from his friend
    OSX can already run OS9 applications. X runs something called classic mode then runs the application. I think ASM is for OS9 users that miss the app menu.
    Houston - EST. 1836
    He has both OS9 and OSX installed - so will ASM let him run OS9 programs from OSX???
    Well, as others have pointed out, OS9 DOES run in OSX.

ASM does two things that I find useful:

1) Brings back the application menu. This is a better implementation of knowing 'what's running' than the Dock, which groups both running and non-running apps into one lump.

2) In OSX, clicking on one window of an application only brings that one window to the front. Some people believe that this is the 'correct' behavior while others (like myself) don't. ASM allows me to click on any window in an App and bring them all to the front. Apple fell down in that they didn't offer this as an option.

OSX is great. It has a lot of nice new UI elements, however, it seems, at times, that they completely disregarded the last decade of UI elements that they, themselves, designed (pop-up folders, spring-loaded folders, windowshading, etc.) I want to believe that this is simply because these features weren't in NeXTStep and they are slowly adding them in. We'll see, I suppose...
    We're all naked if you turn us inside out.
    -David Byrne